Where have all the ______________ Gone? - Page 5
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Well, there was one other car it competed with that had a 6 cylinder engine, both turbo and normally aspirated. Not a V6, mind you. *cough911cough*

Yeah, most of the new high-powered sports cars/hypercars don't do it for me, either. I would absolutely love an old NSX, though.
      I purposely left the 911 out because it was designed as a sports car. Not a supercar or hypercar. The 930 had supercar performance, but of all the 911 derivatives, only the 959 qualifies as a supercar in my mind. (It was a six-cylinder though.)

The Carrera GT and the 918 certainly qualify.

The Jaguar E-type is another 6 cylinder that could go 150 out of the showroom, but doesn't qualify as a supercar. The Jaguar XJ220 qualifies, but it really wasn't a production car.
      Last edited by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN; 10-05-2016 at 10:42 PM.

explorer sport trac - just today i saw an adrenaline model (pictured) which i had never even heard of

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      I knew I liked you.
      Hey, that was my era.

I was never into a lot of the hard rock that other guys were, but I always liked Van Halen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN View Post
      I purposely left the 911 out because it was designed as a sports car. Not a supercar or hypercar. The 930 had supercar performance, but of all the 911 derivatives, only the 959 qualifies as a supercar in my mind. (It was a six-cylinder though.)
      Yeah, I'd definitely call the 959 a super car, but even though the 911 isn't, it was certainly competition for the NSX.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Gen1 Subaru Legacies. Used to be common enough around WI to utterly avoid detection; saw one today and it occurred to me that it had been years since I'd seen one locally.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      explorer sport trac - just today i saw an adrenaline model (pictured) which i had never even heard of

I kind of liked those, IIRC they had a V8 and sounded pretty good

There are a lot of them out there with over 200k miles

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...rchSource=SORT
      Last edited by 01tj; 10-06-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
      I kind of liked those, IIRC they had a V8 and sounded pretty good

There are a lot of them out there with over 200k miles

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...rchSource=SORT
      Really not a bad looking truck, other than maybe the cheapo looking headlights.

With OEM xenons the one I pictured could pass as a 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Really not a bad looking truck, other than maybe the cheapo looking headlights.

With OEM xenons the one I pictured could pass as a 2017.
      I had a friend that had a V6 and it was really comfortable for a truck. There used to be some 5-speeds out there but all those seem to be approaching 300k miles

To me, this thread is only notable if it involves semi-recent cars that sold in relatively high numbers but seem to all but have disappeared today (IOW not a Phaeton or NSX).

These things sold in 6-figure totals and yet I almost never see them anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      HMMM can't believe I'm defending an old GM butttttt.....

the Caprice/Impala was groundbreaking when introduced in 1977 first downsized sedan that actually worked , interior was as big as its super barge predecessor except in shoulder room= innovation
      I had a 1979 butter yellow Impala for my first car when I was 16. It was super comfortable but had very little power.

Quote Originally Posted by tyintegra View Post
      I had a 1979 butter yellow Impala for my first car when I was 16. It was super comfortable but had very little power.
      I'm amazed (yet sort of not surprised, being late 70s and all) That GM put the 231 buick V6 in the B body. That's 125 hp for a 3700 lb car
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Plymouth Breeze/Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Cirrus 95-00....few hundred thousand sold....haven't seen one in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Optima
      Make a mistake in your life. Love something that is frustrating yet rewarding. Sell it and regret it.

Such is the life of a true auto enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      I'm amazed (yet sort of not surprised, being late 70s and all) That GM put the 231 buick V6 in the B body. That's 125 hp for a 3700 lb car
      Even more surprising is that I am pretty sure (I didn't know a whole lot about cars back then) mine had a 305 V8 with about 150HP.

Quote Originally Posted by trbochrg View Post
      When I was 18 I wanted a 1994 Ford Probe GT (looking back now, I wonder WHY????) or a VW Corrado. Anyhow, $4.50/hour retail employed me couldn't afford either of the then $20K plus price tag so I never got either one. Of the two, I have seen a few Corrado's in the wild (i.e. not at a car show) However, I cannot remember the last time I saw a Ford Probe. Sorry, can't link pictures due to work computer being a jerk, but you guys know what they look like.
      I know where one Corrado went...

Last edited by andlf; 10-07-2016 at 08:32 AM.
      Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      Mine was white, and I sprayed on the BRG with a rattle can. "Instant Lotus Cortina!"
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=lotus

Quote Originally Posted by trbochrg View Post
      When I was 18 I wanted a 1994 Ford Probe GT (looking back now, I wonder WHY????) or a VW Corrado. Anyhow, $4.50/hour retail employed me couldn't afford either of the then $20K plus price tag so I never got either one. Of the two, I have seen a few Corrado's in the wild (i.e. not at a car show) However, I cannot remember the last time I saw a Ford Probe. Sorry, can't link pictures due to work computer being a jerk, but you guys know what they look like.
      Well, to be fair though you have to put yourself back in 1993. In a C&D comparo, the then new 2nd gen PGT finished first in a 5 way comparison (5. MX6, 4. Eclipse GSX, 3. Corrado SLC, 2. Prelude Si, 1. PGT) so it got a lot of attention, the smooth V6 revved up to 7k rpm, the slick shifting 5-speed was buttery smooth, the clutch was nice and light, it handled really well for a front wheel drive sporty car and, at the time, the new redesign turned a lot of heads. I had a '93 Ford Probe GT and I kind of had a love/hate relationship with it. I loved the car but it was the least reliable car I've ever owned. I spent a lot of time at Ford dealerships and I eventually grew to dislike having to deal with Ford dealerships. It was fun as hell to drive and I did enjoy many things about it (keyless entry in '93 was cool - not many cars had that, the oem equalizer was neat, loved the pop up headlights, etc.) The biggest thing I recall is price though. A VW Corrado SLC started at around $22.5k and a well appointed PGT would set you back around $15.5k, as a then recent college grad with school loans to pay off and what not, that was enough to put me in the driver's seat of the Probe GT.

Most cars from the '90s seems to have disappeared completely from Norwegian roads in the last 5 years (which is understandable as I can't imagine why anyone would want to preserve any of them). Stuff like BMW e39, Mercedes W210, first generation Volvo V70s used to be very common, but now I hardly see them anymore.

Not sure if it's been posted yet but I haven't seen a MK3 VR6 for a long time now, they used to be everywhere, now it's a real surprise when I see or hear one especially the Jetta/Vento:

Last edited by chopWet; 10-12-2016 at 10:07 AM.

The Probe GT posts makes me wonder where all of the "jelly bean" shaped cars of the '90s went?

That was an automotive fad that faded away faster than Disco.

Quote Originally Posted by brad@fifteen52 View Post
      To me, this thread is only notable if it involves semi-recent cars that sold in relatively high numbers but seem to all but have disappeared today (IOW not a Phaeton or NSX).

These things sold in 6-figure totals and yet I almost never see them anymore...

everything comes inland to die, these are all in the midwest financed at 22% APR

Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      Saw one today for sale near my work. Looked mint too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I need to scoop one up soon I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN View Post
      The Probe GT posts makes me wonder where all of the "jelly bean" shaped cars of the '90s went?

That was an automotive fad that faded away faster than Disco.

'Cash for clunkers" answers this question and several others in this thread.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Mazda MX-3

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by TWHansen View Post

Gen1 Subaru Legacies. Used to be common enough around WI to utterly avoid detection; saw one today and it occurred to me that it had been years since I'd seen one locally.
      I still see them fairly often up here, usually pretty rusted out and driven by old people who've probably had them 25 years. Still fairly popular for rural mail carriers with the mad JDM yo RHD.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast