Upgraded to VW Composition Touch 6.5" (RCD 330G Plus)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Upgraded to VW Composition Touch 6.5" (RCD 330G Plus)

I bought a 2008 Jetta 2.0TDI DSG in August 2016 and I went on a search for an AUX port for the original RCD 300 head unit with the silver buttons. Instead, I found this site, read various posts and ended up buying an RCN210 from AliExpress and followed the instructions and links in the Upgraded to VW RCN-210 bluetooth enabled radio thread. Since that thread includes so much information, I'm not going to include all the installation take-apart pictures.

After installing this Head Unit, I looked at some of the other Chinese market genuine VW options on AliExpress. There are two MIB 2 touchscreen RCD330's - the cost effective RCD330G with a 5.5" screen and CD player and the Plus version with a better 6.5" HD LED touchscreen and no CD, twice the price, although still cheap for genuine VW parts. I went for the 6.5" version and so far don't regret that as it has a more flush screen rather than being slightly recessed like the 5.5" version. Also, I've not owned a physical compact disc for many years now.

Note, from what I have ahrvested from the web, in the west, this would be a MIB 2 "VW Composition Touch" head unit, but if you're looking to research (or buy) one then search for RCD 330g.

Compared to the RCN210, the installation is really easy as the RCD330 uses the same quadlock connector as the original RCD300 stereo. I had tapped the CANBUS A/C power for the RCN210 adapter cable, however when I checked the original quadlock cable it turned out my car already had CAN-power to the quadlock connector, so no need to rewire anything. My car didn't suffer battery drain after the RCN210 install, so I'm guessing it has a late enough CANBUS implementation to also include CAN-poer to the head unit.

Here is a picture of the finished install:

In this picture you can see the iPhone connected via Bluetooth to the head unit with a random track playing from spotify.

You might also notice my car came with what the Germans call the "Handy Kit" with pre-installed car kit and bluetooth.The kit is a a stub that you connect an adapter to, I found an adjustable genuine VW one on ebay from Germany (VW make them new) that I can place my iPhone in. It holds up to iPhone 7 regular size but not plus size mobiles like a Samsung S7.

Which leads onto the next element of the head unit (HU) - it supports MirrorLink. Mirrorlink only works with Android and then only with certain device vendors. It doesn't support pure android. I also have a Galaxy S7 which is luckily my device I play with (versus the iPhone I depend on). I've factory reset my device a few times now in order to get to the point where I could write this thread.

From what I've seen so far, HTC has the best implementation of MirrorLink, but that's just from looking on the web. So far the Samsung / Mirrorlink implementation is pretty good, once you work out what to do, but has some limitations.

First - you can't do it without Car Mode if you're on Samsung (on HTC you get HTC Car and HTC MobileLink). For Galaxy users you need to download this from the "Galaxy Apps" application (free download).

Then plug your phone into the USB port on the head unit and press the "Phone" hard-button then "MirrorLink" on the touch display. The head unit will auto-start into this interface:

You'll notice the icons in the top right corner of the screen, they are the native icons of the HU, press the right control nob (the tuning one opposite the volume) to hide them. You can press the Icon with an arrow to return to the VW MirrorLink home screen or the other icon with a line in it to switch the "native VW" control to the top or the bottom. But it's always on the right hand side.

One thing that is a feature/limitation of the Samsung Car Mode implementation is the menu on the left of the scree - with the native VW control it's superfluous, but if you have an HTC you won't have this issue from what I can see. (I Might have to get an HTC!)

This photo shows the Samsung widgets screen when you swipe left from their home screen. The good new is with the HU, you can always press the back arrow to return to the VW MirrorLink home.

The next bit is navigation - good news, it's possible and quality, bad news is you have to pay. First I tried Sygic and got an error because of screen size. I'm guessing that's because of the Samsung menu sticking out to the left and pushing the Sygic app to the right. I have now (just) installed BringGo which works without error and has a month free. Let's see how this stacks up!

This is my first post to this site and it's really in appreciation for the info I got to install what I have. I also got a reversing camera that I'll install, but I'll need VAGCOM to code that in (so far I've been VAGCOM free). I'll post some more pictures of the other apps, Mirrorlink in action and the reverse camera install if anyone is interested?

Hello mate!

Really interesting project you got there!
      Kudos for the upgrade to the RCD 330g Plus, i would say!

Although, it strikes me, you didn't mention anything about multi-function steering wheel controls? Do they work? Do you have any experience in that regard?
      This seems highly likely, because it's basically the same structure (allegedly) like the RCD510 ?

Also, can you please detail the part with CAN-Power a bit more? What would happen if the QuadLock connector didn't have that wire assigned to it? Would the unit not power on or would CAN-Bus communication fail to work (like outside temperature showing / speed volume adjustment and so on) ?

Thank you in advance!

Although, it strikes me, you didn't mention anything about multi-function steering wheel controls? Do they work? Do you have any experience in that regard?
      My car doesn't have the multifunction controls, but from what I've read on other threads they should work

This seems highly likely, because it's basically the same structure (allegedly) like the RCD510 ?
      Yes, same quadlock connector

Also, can you please detail the part with CAN-Power a bit more? What would happen if the QuadLock connector didn't have that wire assigned to it? Would the unit not power on or would CAN-Bus communication fail to work (like outside temperature showing / speed volume adjustment and so on) ?
      If the quadlock doesn't have CAN+ and CAN- then you just tap this from the CAN on the A/C. It's important to check whether you need to upgrade your CAN Gateway to avoid power drain. There are a few threads on here that explain this.

n00b

600w Dynaudio Amp

Will this unit be compatible with the premium audii that comes on the MKV R32? I have the 600w dynaudio and im looking to buy this radio

Hello brighton & other having this unit

Once again, having a question about the unit

Anyone managed to make it display climatronic display on it?

Thanks and regards

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie32 View Post
      Will this unit be compatible with the premium audii that comes on the MKV R32? I have the 600w dynaudio and im looking to buy this radio
      I have the same question here
      Looking to install this one on a Passat CC from 2009 that has a factory amplifier installed on it.
      Can someone share some info on this?
      Thanks a lot

What happens when you press the MirrorLink button after you connect your iphone to the unit?
      It seems that this guy made app connect work with iphone
      https://youtu.be/zHLz_iFwySw
      He says that only the no name version of the unit is compatible, and not Desay, maybe with some custom software.

n00b

Great DIY

I have followed this and have fitted the same radio to my late 2008 vw jetta tdi no problems found yet, but have tried to connect the rear camera and the module 37 navigation doesnt connect with vcds. Have you connected your rear camera ? Again the radio works well, better output than my rcd 300 and Bringgo works well with samsung s6.

n00b

Great DIY

Hi, i just fitted this head unit and it works great. everything works except for the rear camera. i have tried to program it but did not have any success, any ideas ? (jetta mk5 late 2008 tdi)

There are versions of this head unit floating around on eBay and AliExpress with Apple CarPlay loaded via custom firmware - for a premium, of course. This effectively turns this into the newer MIB2 head units found in the MK7.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-MIB-6-5-...3D181347974591

I have an 2006 GTI and I'm really curious if there's a chance of this head unit working with steering wheel controls?

Hello mate
      No chance so far - or that i was told - only works with generation Golf 6 type wheels and above (the ones with 12 buttons)
      Still trying to get some replies specifically on this matter, if someone managed to get the 8-button wheels (Golf 5) to work

Factory Rear View Camera with RCD330+

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorc2 View Post
      Hi, i just fitted this head unit and it works great. everything works except for the rear camera. i have tried to program it but did not have any success, any ideas ? (jetta mk5 late 2008 tdi)
      Did you ever get a solution to getting the Camera to work with a 330+ ?

Quote Originally Posted by ministryofspoons View Post
      Did you ever get a solution to getting the Camera to work with a 330+ ?
      What kind of camera do you have?
      AV one (aftermarket, retrofitted) or OEM one? Photo of the camera pls and its connector, if possible.

Camera also needs VCDS coding into the MIB Unit

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAlmostDSG View Post
      What kind of camera do you have?
      AV one (aftermarket, retrofitted) or OEM one? Photo of the camera pls and its connector, if possible.

Camera also needs VCDS coding into the MIB Unit
      I have the camera that originally came on my 11 Tiguan and I can't get it to work either on my 330... Tried editing Byte 3 to 40 and still no change, it tells me camera not detected when putting it on R.

Works on my 2006 GTI

I recently bought an RCD330 Plus with CarPlay from China and it works great. I didn't get the reverse camera option, but I might in the future if I find one that fits the license plate light cover. The screen does go into reverse camera mode when I go into reverse gear (manual transmission) but says it cannot find vide source (obviously).

The steering wheel controls don't work with this radio, but it's not a deal breaker for me so I don't mind.

As far as the battery drain, I had the new radio in for about 24 hours and the car starts fine so far. I do have a new CANBUS gateway on order though just in case.

Speaking of new CANBUS, has anyone tried programming the new one with OBDeleven? I just got mine and about to start messing with it. Hopefully it's as easy as the VAGCOM tutorials.

n00b
      Haven't had any luck with connecting the rear camera, any ideas guys ?

What camera do you have ? OEM? Or "AV" camera?

If yes to "OEM" (factory camera), you need an RGB to AV adapter....
      Last edited by AlexAlmostDSG; 04-01-2017 at 07:38 PM.

n00b
      Quote Originally Posted by AlexAlmostDSG View Post
      What camera do you have ? OEM? Or "AV" camera?

If yes to "OEM" (factory camera), you need an RGB to AV adapter....
      I have an aftermarket camera, have coded it woth vagcom and the screen now turns black when reversing, meaning the camera is recognised but not working 100%. The only thing i have not connected is the red wire which comes with the av wire (a supply is to be given i think). Thanks if you know anything.

Got the camera and RCD330 plus with CarPlay working

Finally finished with the headache of installing the reverse camera in my 2006 GTI.

First off, nitrorc2 - make sure your hatch/trunk is closed before you test the camera. For some reason all it does is give you a black screen when you go into reverse with the trunk open. It took me two days of fiddling to figure that out. Hopefully this post will prevent others from doing the same.

For power, I spliced into the license plate light wire for the LED light that's in the camera. I also kept the original license plate housing and bulb plugged in to the harness and zip tied it inside the bumper cover. I did that just so the computer won't give me codes for a missing light. I also converted the other license plate light to error-free LED bulb from e-Bay.

For power going to the camera itself, I used the 12V accessory plug that's in the trunk. I needed to extend the wires from the camera so I used left over speaker wire and spliced it into the power outlet harness. I ran the video cable under the interior trim to the radio. In order to have a clean entry into the interior, I used the rubber grommet that the license plate light cable goes through. Instead of making a hole in it, I cut the video cable, ran it through the harness grommet, then soldered it back together. It's an extra step, but prevents you from making another hole where water can get inside.

Here are some pictures of the installed head unit and camera. If you need any pointers or have any questions on the install, let me know, maybe I can prevent some frustration that I had to go through.

GennadiyV,

Any more info about the camera and install?

Quote Originally Posted by GennadiyV View Post
      Finally finished with the headache of installing the reverse camera in my 2006 GTI.

Here are some pictures of the installed head unit and camera. If you need any pointers or have any questions on the install, let me know, maybe I can prevent some frustration that I had to go through.

ಠ_ಠ

You have any specific questions?

Quote Originally Posted by GennadiyV View Post
      You have any specific questions?
      I do! Did you manage to get steering wheel volume/phone buttons to work with this unit, or is that a no-go on the MK5?

Quote Originally Posted by M0riarty View Post
      I do! Did you manage to get steering wheel volume/phone buttons to work with this unit, or is that a no-go on the MK5?
      As far as I know there's no way to get the steering wheels buttons to work. It's not a big deal for me so I didn't research it too much.

How well does the navigation function work on this unit? Does the phone need to be plugged in for it to work?
      I like ride height alteration in either direction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast