The 2017 F1 Countdown Thread - Page 47
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1481
      Mays must be a Crapwagoner.

Quote Originally Posted by MaysEffect View Post
      Maybe not "stars" but several drivers in the past 5 years have vacated f1 to go WEC or IndyCar and have won prestige events.
      Exactly. That's one difference. Those that did were not the big hitters of F1 (and maybe they could have been with the right teams). Alonso is one that came in the sport and beat the dominant Ferrari and Schumacher and established himself as one of the best. It's by all means big news when he's going to run another series, especially mid season.

Another reason is that it's mid season. It's awesome and exciting to see F1 drivers do a race or two in other series while still competing in F1. I'd love to see HAM, VER, RIC, VET and the rest do Le Mans this year if that was at all possible. I don't care that Fischicella is running a GT class Ferrari in Le Mans because he's long one from F1, but to see HAM, who's at the top of his game, to go race in another series for one race, I'd love it. Imagine HAM doing Watkins Glen or Sonomo for Nascar this year. Are you going to tell me that wouldn't be exciting? I'd think something like that would be exciting for most F1 fans.

Heck, I was just watching an old video , courtesy of Drivetribe of Senna and Prost racing go karts in '93 . It was awesome to watch.

Unless he plans on cheating like he did in 08,
      SSSSHHHHHHHHH... Alonso asked Michael Andretti to order Marco to brush the wall or put his car into a gentle spin so the pace car will be deployed

Or maybe, Marco is generally strong at Indy. Could you imagine Marco is leading with Alonso maybe a second or two behind. Then Marco hears his father on the radio: "Marco, Fernando is faster than you. Sorry."
      Last edited by mx5er; 04-13-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      SSSSHHHHHHHHH... Alonso asked Michael Andretti to order Marco to brush the wall or put his car into a gentle spin so the pace car will be deployed

Or maybe, Marco is generally strong at Indy. Could you imagine Marco is leading with Alonso maybe a second or two behind. Then Marco hears his father on the radio: "Marco, Fernando is faster than you. Sorry."
      As much as i'm tired of this subject, listening to Alonso speak about the ongoing plan of going into the Indi-500race. It sounds almost suicidal to do it. He's literally going to leave race day and go to America right after to go into practice for IndyCar on Monday.

So either he "shunts" the race day and leaves early. or just dicks around Monday. There is no way he is going to be mentally ready to start practicing again Monday. I'm being extremely pessimistic, so I'll shut up on this subject now.
      Last edited by MaysEffect; 04-13-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coddingtown View Post
      John Mcguinness
      Guy Martin
      Connor Cummins
      Michael Dunlop
      Bruce Anstey
      Ian Hutchinson

But definitely most cannot. But I can't name more than 4-5 in Indycar. And while someone said to my earlier post of Indycar being a dying sport, and they said it is on a upswing, google says the opposite.
      As someone who has seen the TT and the Indy500 in person, I can attest to the validity of the bravery of each and the lack of coverage in the short-attention spans of America. Go to a race (of either forms) and you'll know Google is wrong.

Worse case scenario, he'll end up doin' a Jean Alesi. He qualified dead last and was black flagged after a hand full of laps because he couldn't sustain minimum lap times. But then again Alesi wasn't with a top team and his car had the under powered Lotus engine.

Worse case scenario
      I can tell you it won't be a DNF from a blown engine.

This Alonso deal, as stated by somebody else, is nothing at all like Rossi or anybody else recently. I can't believe some of the reactions in here... I think many of the regulars in this thread *only* casually watch F1 because it's viewed as "exotic" and "superior" and have literally never ventured into any other aspect of motorsport in their lives, and really don't even understand F1 (i.e. previous calls for Alonso to quit the sport now because he's hopeless, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
      This Alonso deal, as stated by somebody else, is nothing at all like Rossi or anybody else recently. I can't believe some of the reactions in here... I think many of the regulars in this thread *only* casually watch F1 because it's viewed as "exotic" and "superior" and have literally never ventured into any other aspect of motorsport in their lives, and really don't even understand F1 (i.e. previous calls for Alonso to quit the sport now because he's hopeless, etc).
      Preach on bruh.

I, for one, am excited for Fernando. Yeah it's gonna be brutally hard from a physical standpoint but I'd bet the adrenaline will overcome that.

Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      I, for one, am excited for Fernando. Yeah it's gonna be brutally hard from a physical standpoint but I'd bet the adrenaline will overcome that.
      One can only run on adrenaline for so long before you crash and burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      As someone who has seen the TT and the Indy500 in person, I can attest to the validity of the bravery of each and the lack of coverage in the short-attention spans of America. Go to a race (of either forms) and you'll know Google is wrong.
      Been to Indy a few times as a child. The TT is on my bucket list. And I was reffering to google as information on TV ratings and viewership numbers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

Wavetrac Differentials -- Different than the rest!

Guess that report I saw a few days ago was beyond wrong..

As much as i'm tired of this subject, listening to Alonso speak about the ongoing plan of going into the Indi-500race. It sounds almost suicidal to do it. He's literally going to leave race day and go to America right after to go into practice for IndyCar on Monday.

So either he "shunts" the race day and leaves early. or just dicks around Monday. There is no way he is going to be mentally ready to start practicing again Monday. I'm being extremely pessimistic, so I'll shut up on this subject now.
      Do you think he's flying coach? Most likely he will be on a private plane and if he's traveling east to west he has the time difference adding 4-5 hours to the clock. There have been drivers that ran the Indy 500 and the Coca Cola 600 on the same day. Tony Stewart comes to mind.
      RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Herein lies the difference of opinions. There are those of us that think IndyCar isn't lower class. I always compare IndyCar to the Isle of Man TT. Without Google's help, can you name me six riders that ride the TT? Does that mean the race is any less demanding, dangerous, or even entertaining? The best drivers and riders don't always choose the most visible or popular versions of said sport.
      Ohh so we're getting petty now.

Without google.

Can you name 10 riders in MotoGP? Moto2 and Moto3?
      Can you name 3 drivers in Formula Drift? FD Japan?
      Can you name 5 drivers in DTM, WEC LMP2 class?
      Can you name 2 drivers in Formula Renault?

How many other lower class racing series are we going to brag about being knowledgeable of....but thank you for assuming i have no idea what Isle of TT is...

You confusing genuine sporting heirachy with the level of "risk and danger" is invalid in all forms. Jumping out a plane with one parachute is dangerous to some extent as well. How about we make that a sport, then base how dangerous people can make it.
      Dangerous motorcycle racing around a island once a year is not even remotely comparable to a national sporting series with several races a year.

You seem to also be confused about how i stated this as an opinion rather than a fact.

F1 drivers get paid more, there are less of them, and head to head, a 2017 F1 car would smoke the living hell out of a Indy Car on just about any comparable track. So YES, factually IndyCar is a lower class. This is not to be confused with it being a less entriguing or any less demanding.

This is as far as I'm going on the subject ✌️.

If You're Going To Stand Out In Left Field, At Least Catch The Ball That Comes Your Way

Without google.

Can you name 10 riders in MotoGP? Moto2 and Moto3?
      Can you name 3 drivers in Formula Drift? FD Japan?
      Can you name 5 drivers in DTM, WEC LMP2 class?
      Can you name 2 drivers in Formula Renault?

How many other lower class racing series are we going to brag about being knowledgeable of....but thank you for assuming i have no idea what Isle of TT is...

You confusing genuine sporting heirachy with the level of "risk and danger" is invalid in all forms. Jumping out a plane with one parachute is dangerous to some extent as well. How about we make that a sport, then base how dangerous people can make it.
      Dangerous motorcycle racing around a island once a year is not even remotely comparable to a national sporting series with several races a year.

You seem to also be confused about how i stated this as an opinion rather than a fact.

F1 drivers get paid more, there are less of them, and head to head, a 2017 F1 car would smoke the living hell out of a Indy Car on just about any comparable track. So YES, factually IndyCar is a lower class. This is not to be confused with it being a less entriguing or any less demanding.

This is as far as I'm going on the subject ✌️.
      Wow, May has went off the deep end saying what Fernando Alonso does is off topic (Ha!), that there is some imaginary racing hierarchy that must be observed (nobody gives two Fs about another man's bias) and is trying to turn this into a racing nerd contest of who knows how much about what.

I like the Indy 500 and Monaco. Monaco for Alonso would be an abysmal waste of time and talent. It's a parade for all but the top two or three drivers/cars.

Indy has history and drama, more cars and closer competition, crashes, anything can happen and it's a huge draw in the US. I see it as a win win for Formula 1 and Indy. It will gin up interest in both sports. And it's good for Alonso. As I said earlier, his future in F1 is murky and if he can find an outlet for his talent, even for this one race, good on him for it.

Mays is definitely a crapwagoner.

It was for comparison for the sake of TT danger versus IndyCar danger, and has nothing to do with any of the other series you listed. Wow did you go off the deep end.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      Mays is definitely a crapwagoner.

This thread is turning into a **** show.

[somebody doesn't get how Indy in dangerous]

[reasonable post about danger levels comes as response]

[NAME 3 FORMULA D DRIVERS! NAME THEM OFF I DARE YOU!!]

[(rest of us) ]

Speaking of, I haven't kept up with the drifting scene in a long time, but back years ago I used to converse with JR Gitten over myspace private messages a bit (yeah, I said myspace) and he actually personally sent me a big merch pack with a hat, t-shirt, a ton of stickers, some patches, lanyards, and a signed hero card that I still have. Really cool dude. I was giving Falken stuff out to my car friends at school for a couple weeks after that.

How's that for off topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
      How's that for off topic?
      Good attempt. I'll give you a 8.7 for a nice finish.

Any thread where Burnette posts is automatically a ****-show.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

The race is on CNBC you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      The race is on CNBC you guys.
      Finally. Something that people WILL watch on CNBC. I bet their ratings go way up and they all look at each other and say "this formula car racing is starting to catch on"

Not sure if trolling...

Bernie Ecclestone says that new F1 owners Liberty should cut the fees that promoters pay to host races, amid fears that events will be lost because governments no longer want to subsidise them.

The former F1 Group CEO, who set up all the current deals himself over the years, now believes that promoters are paying too much to host races, and that the costs could prove to be unsustainable for some events.

"The only thing that would be good for everyone, I think, would be if we could charge the promoters a lot less money," Ecclestone told Motorsport.com.

"I did some good deals commercially. They are paying a lot of money, and most of them if not all of them are not making any money, quite the opposite.

"Sooner or later I'm frightened that the governments behind them will say enough is enough, and bye bye.

"If we could reduce the fee they pay they could then charge less for tickets and sell more tickets. So if you want to look after the fans, that's the way to do it."

Asked why he didn't cut rates in the past, he said: "I know I could have done, but I was trying to make money for the company, that was my job.

"It appears that it's not [Liberty's] prime objective, to make money. Their objective is to please the fans, which is good."

Ecclestone's fear about governments pulling out is backed up by the recent news that this year's Malaysian GP will be the last, as well as ongoing doubts about the future of Singapore.

Ecclestone was involved in the agreement to end the Sepang deal a year early.
      https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/e...moters-893764/
      Sent from my Nexus 5 using Google Skynet

Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast