VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Snow tires with Offroad/Mud Tread

29K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  RunDub 
#1 ·
I want to buy snow tires for my Q5 but I really want something that has an aggressive off road tread. Are the all terrains or mud terrains that are rated for snow anywhere close to as "good" as a dedicated snow tire like a blizzak?

The best thing I have found on my own that comes in 19" are these.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

My only concern is they may actually be a downgrade on snowy road/ice conditions compared to my new All seasons.

See less See more
#2 ·
All Terrains will never be as good as a dedicated snow tire, due to the tread design and rubber compound.

that being said I have Two friends that run the duratracs year around on an F150 and 1500 Silverado. They don't have any problems with them. Duratrac are considered a aggressive all terrain.

true mud tires usually suck the snow.

#3 ·
The biggest differences you'll find between something like an all weather duratrac and a dedicated snow tire is that a dedicated snow tire will have more siping and be a softer rubber that doesn't get as hard when it gets cold, but won't last if you run them year round.
Will they work well on snow and ice, absolutely, but they won't be as good as a true snow tire.

#5 · (Edited)
I have Duratracs on my Pathfinder (EDIT: 245/75R16) - they held their own in the big snow storm we had earlier this year - they're snow rated/certified. They're fine for me (its a beater), but they're not quiet and have a decent amount of sidewall squish when going around turns - not sure if that's something I'd want on a more performance oriented SUV (like a Q5 or the like).

#6 ·
Keep in mind it all depends on how wide you go with them as well. You'll notice a huge difference between say a 225 and a 285 in the snow despite being the same tire.

I think the BF Goodrich KO and KO2 do well in the snow as long as stay pretty calm with them. Remember, it's not the big chunks and cuts in the tire that handles the snow, it's the little tiny siping that makes the difference.

#8 ·
Was going to say the same.

And a buddy of mine at work runs the Duratracs on his supercharged Range Rover overlander, and he says they're great in the snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.