Kia Optima (turbo) - Tell me about these
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kia Optima (turbo) - Tell me about these

2011+ turbo models in particular.

I'm ending my car-less exile this month and just want something automatic, 4-doors, and comfortable for road trips. Buick Regal and Fiat 500L are also on the radar for various reasons. The Optima catches my eye because ventilated seats, sunroof, and turbo PAH. I'm unlikely to pass more than 7000 miles per year driving one and more concerned with how these last over time.

What I know is Optima has zero steering feel but high content value.

Anyone have input on how these are aging; transmission, turbo, electronics, paint, etc.

Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

If you want a modern BMW but are somehow too much of a loser to get yourself into a Mazda 6, this is it.

Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

My neighbor has had one for a few years without issue. He loves it, and judging by what he's told me, its been maintenance free aside from brakes, oil changes, etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by gdoggmoney View Post
      There's been too much butt sniffing before this dog fight.
      PagPartsTurbo www.speeding-g60.com INTEGRATEDengineering

We had a 2012 SX a few years ago. I think we only put 25k-ish miles on it, so I can't comment on long term reliability, but during our ownership period we had no issues. I still think they are very nice cars for the value. They have great warranties. Good power everywhere.

We ended up trading it for a 2013 GLI, which was several steps back imo. We should have kept the Kia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      If you want a modern BMW but are somehow too much of a loser to get yourself into a Mazda 6, this is it.

We ended up trading it for a 2013 GLI, which was several steps back imo. We should have kept the Kia.
      Ha!

This makes me feel a bit better. I've had MKVI experience and might consider a used Jetta/Passat because they do look nice in the right color with larger wheels.

Not sure if I want to risk another turbo trouble experience. I was one of those unfortunate souls to experience chain tensioner failure.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 12-29-2016 at 12:47 PM.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Unless you must have the panoramic roof, cooled seats, or the handsome door cards...I think there are much better choices out there.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

They seem like good cars, obviously not as fast or luxurious as a plebe-spec Mazda3 2.0L chained to an anchor from a cruiseliner ship, but good cars nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      2011+ turbo models in particular.

I'm ending my car-less exile this month and just want something automatic, 4-doors, and comfortable for road trips. Buick Regal and Fiat 500L are also on the radar for various reasons. The Optima catches my eye because ventilated seats, sunroof, and turbo PAH. I'm unlikely to pass more than 7000 miles per year driving one and more concerned with how these last over time.

What I know is Optima has zero steering feel but high content value.

Anyone have input on how these are aging; transmission, turbo, electronics, paint, etc.
      Ignore Ross he's just being a car bigot.

These are great values. Price, performance, features, reliability are great caveats for this car. Buick Regal GS or Turbo would also be a great choice. For background I own an Optima (just a level under the turbo), a BMW, and came VERY close to buying the Buick which got sold out from under me when I returned to buy it. Per the Kia, think Japanese reliability but for less money.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Or dont want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on stupid overpriced repairs that will happen because its a bmw.

My coworker had a 2012 with 30,000 km's on it and the turbo blew up, took the engine out in the process. He was in a loaner soul for one and a half months. His car was always dealer maintained. He also always had problems with the pano roof leaking water at one point, then always whistling on the highway. he took it in several times and to 3 of the local dealerships and they could never seem to fix it. He dumped it a month ago in favor of an accord. I guess bad apples in every bunch; I dont think id want to own one outside of warranty

Buddy had one for just over a year now, hasn't had any issues so far. But he's done... things to it. Basically advertising his customs shop.

Previously Owned: 96 Discovery/65 Corvair/93 Corolla Wagon/89 LeSabre/96 Camry/99 Regal GS/95 Accord/98 C-SVT/90 LS400/89 Supra/91 Legacy SS/01 CVPI/92 Mark VII/87 200SX/90 325i/03 TL-S/98 SC2/00 JGC/02 Forester/95 LS400/95 Audi 90/01 Jetta VR6/93 LS400/96 Camry/00 Cavalier/06 Speed6/92 190E/04 Accord/95 & 05 Civic/01 Cavalier/97 Bravada
      Current: 97 Volvo S90

Great cars but if you're planning on carrying around passengers, kids in particular, make sure you bring them along for a test drive.

I personally and my son found rear seats to be incredibly claustrophobic, due to very high belt-lines.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      And now for something completley different...A Scotsman on a horse.

Ross being Ross. There must be higher than normal concentrations of salt tonight.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Dont know why but i still like the styling on these.

Though hyundai/KIA driving dynamics kinda bore me

I prefer the pre-facelift version, personally. Always thought it was a good package if driving isn't super important.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.

Just make sure when you're driving it that you pretend it's your first turbo car and now you think you are faster than all the other cars on the road.

I swear, most Optimas/Sonatas around here seem to be driven by people who have only driven 4-cylinder Camcords their entire lives and now they have something with some torque and think they're speedracer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Just make sure when you're driving it that you pretend it's your first turbo car and now you think you are faster than all the other cars on the road.

I swear, most Optimas/Sonatas around here seem to be driven by people who have only driven 4-cylinder Camcords their entire lives and now they have something with some torque and think they're speedracer.
      I blame those terrible commercials that worked a bit too well.
      I feel like this has all happened before.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Head over to the optima forums. There's quite a bit of chatter on both the turbo and NA versions having serious engine issues. Appears K VIN Optimas are the way to go. I had a 11 2.4L K vin for 45K miles and only did oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Geechie_Suede View Post
      Buddy had one for just over a year now, hasn't had any issues so far. But he's done... things to it. Basically advertising his customs shop.

You are cleared for take off.

Not gonna lie it looks pretty good minus that wing and smoked tails.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Modded = beat to ****
      Stock = driven by 87 year old grandmother
      Miss Daisy might not do all her own work and rub her car with a diaper, but she also wasn't a flatbrim bro who hoped boosted VTAK would make women jump into the car naked at 50mph.

All this and no pics of the SXL interior? I was quite amazed at how nice it was in person when I happened to open the door on one while at a Carmax.

My Flickr Stream // 2008 R32 #138 // 2013 Chevy Volt // 2017 Chevy Volt

They're fine as long as you take it easy on the plasti dip and smoked tails.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Head over to the optima forums. There's quite a bit of chatter on both the turbo and NA versions having serious engine issues. Appears K VIN Optimas are the way to go. I had a 11 2.4L K vin for 45K miles and only did oil changes.
      The bottom ends are grenading. Just like the 11-14 Sonatas and will soon be joined by the Santa Fe. Engines are on backorder so people are waiting for up to 2 months. Hyundai is offering owners a buyout or a reman engine w/ longer warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      The bottom ends are grenading. Just like the 11-14 Sonatas and will soon be joined by the Santa Fe. Engines are on backorder so people are waiting for up to 2 months. Hyundai is offering owners a buyout or a reman engine w/ longer warranty.
      Thanks I didn't read too much into it, just noticed the amount of threads on engine failures.

Additionally the turbo, despite the HP numbers, is not that much quicker or faster than the NA 2.4.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Additionally the turbo, despite the HP numbers, is not that much quicker or faster than the NA 2.4.
      The turbo likely returns better mpg figures, no?
      Quote Originally Posted by gdoggmoney View Post
      There's been too much butt sniffing before this dog fight.
      PagPartsTurbo www.speeding-g60.com INTEGRATEDengineering

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Ratio View Post
      The turbo likely returns better mpg figures, no?
      Nope. That's what the Hybrid is for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast