Do you believe you should be liable for a ticket if you leave your car idling in your driveway? - Page 8
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Do you believe you should be liable for a ticket if you leave your car idling in your driveway?

Voters
    207. You may not vote on this poll
    • NO

147 71.01%
    • YES

60 28.99%
    Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN View Post
      Don't people use block heaters any more?
      I had a coolant heater for my TDI. I had it plugged into a switch with a remote that I would press about an hour before I was going to need the car. The coolant heater had a pump that would circulate the coolant a bit. Worked great, the heat from the circulating coolant would melt the snow/frost on the windshield and hood, the car would start right up and I would have instant heat from the vents.

epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Aren't you the pot calling the kettle black? You are the one who said people from Utah should not reproduce.
      You completely missed the point of that post.

a) They were common when I was a kid when you could only get diesel at a truck stop.
      Were you a kid in the northen states when you saw these at a diesel truck stop?

b) I do not, but would get one if I wanted my car warmed up before I started driving.
      Do you scrape the ice off your car before starting it up?

c) A block heater is perfect for this.
      No, what it will do is aid in speeding up the process.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      You completely missed the point of that post.
      You did say people in Utah shouldn't reproduce, then you said I was trolling when I asked if anybody used a block heater.

Were you a kid in the northen states when you saw these at a diesel truck stop?
      Now you missed the point. Block heaters were common when the only place to buy diesel fuel was at a truck stop. Diesel cars were not common yet.

I did not say that I saw block heaters being used at truck stops.

I was responding to your post saying the only people using block heaters were diesel owners in the northern states.

Yes I do

No, what it will do is aid in speeding up the process.
      That is true, but your engine will not have to warm up. It won't be dumping raw fuel down the cylinders and even those who do warm up their cars will be able to get in sooner and drive off sooner. The windshield should start defrosting the moment the car is started and the car should be ready to go by the time you scrape the rear and side windows.

Also, PlatinumGLS had a plug-in heater that worked great for defrosting. It's mainly for TDIs though.
      Last edited by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN; 01-16-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Have not tarp technology reached America yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      Do you mean a windshield cover for snow and ice?

I used a universal one of these and it didn't fit good enough to really do much good.

Snow got under it and the windshield still needed scraping. My wipers also got stuck to the outside of the cover. (On that car they won't swing out.)

California Car Cover makes custom sized ones but my cars aren't included.

They do make entire car covers to fit my cars, just not the windshield covers.
      Last edited by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN; 01-16-2017 at 06:59 PM.

You did say people in Utah shouldn't reproduce,
      Yes, and then I said you missed the point of that post. Guess I'll say it again, you are missing the point of that post

I was responding to your post saying the only people using block heaters were diesel owners in the northern states.
      Were you pro or con that position?

Yes I do
      Damn. That's a lot of cadio for a pre-dawn workout.

The windshield should start defrosting the moment the car is started and the car should be ready to go by the time you scrape the rear and side windows.
      So....... we aren't scraping the windows with the engine off?

Also, PlatinumGLS had a plug-in heater that worked great for defrosting. It's mainly for TDIs though.
      He has a diesel? Next thing you'll tell me is he lives in a Northern state

Look, we're talking real cold hear, not that wimpy Celsius stuff they have in tropical Norway
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Do you mean a windshield cover for snow and ice?

I used a universal one of these and it didn't fit good enough to really do much good.

Snow got under it and the windshield still needed scraping. My wipers also got stuck to the outside of the cover. (On that car they won't swing out.)

California Car Cover makes custom sized ones but my car's aren't included.

They do make entire car covers to fit my cars, just not the windshield covers.
      I have this. It works excellent and I can't think of a single time that I have to scrape ice of any windows on my car.

I have this. It works excellent and I can't think of a single time that I have to scrape ice of any windows on my car.

Wait a sec... you put this on and then take it off when its iced? Ahhhhh, no.

Quote Originally Posted by jspirate View Post
      Wait a sec... you put this on and then take it off when its iced? Ahhhhh, no.
      Yes.

Yes, and then I said you missed the point of that post. Guess I'll say it again, you are missing the point of that post
      So, you were joking?

Were you pro or con that position?
      I am pro for using a block heater if your car is too cold for you.

Damn. That's a lot of cadio for a pre-dawn workout.
      It only takes a few minutes, probably less than 5. That's if I have to brush 6" of snow off the car first.

So....... we aren't scraping the windows with the engine off?
      That suggestion is for people who warm up the car first. Since they currently warm up their cars, they would be scraping the windows with the engine running. (Or maybe skipping that step altogether.)

If I used a block heater, I would still sweep the snow off and scrape the windows before starting the car.

Yes.
      You have to keep in mind that the rash of thefts of un-attended tarps is rampant here in the U.S.ofA. So much so that they don't even sell Tarp insurance anymore and many municipalities have turned the solution to the crime wave on the tarp owners, making it effectively illegal to cover anything with a tarp that is not attended or pad locked securely to a 400lb (181kg) concrete block. This unfortunate turn of events has led to an alarming rise in charcoal grill rustings.......

You have to keep in mind that the rash of thefts of un-attended tarps is rampant here in the U.S.ofA. So much so that they don't even sell Tarp insurance anymore and many municipalities have turned the solution to the crime wave on the tarp owners, making it effectively illegal to cover anything with a tarp that is not attended or pad locked securely to a 400lb (181kg) concrete block. This unfortunate turn of events has led to an alarming rise in charcoal grill rustings.......
      Long ago when I was stuck with outdoor parking on a patch of land off the street, I placed a tarp on my motorcycle all the time. Nobody ever stole it but than again I might have attached a cable to it that I secured and locked around a tree. Vandals were a problem there though since I did find my motorcycle laying on the ground a few times in that hood.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Yes.
      So, you just drive off like this, eh?

Sometimes you need to de-ice and de-snow teh windsheild and it takes a bit for the defroster to work enough to drive SAFELY.

As an anti-police state proponent, this law sucks, no one had the ability to vote for or against it, which makes it very hard to get repealed.

If the law is about pollution, there are a million things more polluting that involve driving the car (like going for a fun road trip just to drive) or as was mentioned, multiple trips to the store (we don't have that wonderful European mass transit system that allows everyone in every area of the country to ride a bus or train to the grocery store multiple times a day) to sitting in traffic where the pollution is more concentrated.

If it's about stolen cars than any car sitting in a driveway is susceptible, idling or not. A lot of us don't lock our cars in our driveways as it's just not as much of a problem. And in fact the only time I've had something stolen out of a car was when it was locked, and they damaged the car to get to the stereo. So I don't bother and simply don't leave valuables sitting in the car.

We fought a war of independence to get away from this sort of police action against us as colonists. Why we want to willingly let it creep back in in un-voted on laws is beyond me.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Yeah, I broke two ice scrapers a couple of weeks ago. We had a lovely rain/sleet mixture followed by a couple of inches of wet, heavy snow. Had to run it for 20 minutes to even have a chance in hell to scrape it. Still broke two scrapers. And deicer made the inside worse, because chemistry.
      DCIVW
      CE.

NO. Get off my lawn! Err.. Driveway.
      Current: 2015 RPGM Chevy SS Sedan 6spd - 2000 Chevy K2500 - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE
      Past: 2011 JSW TDi 6spd @100k - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6spd @170k - 04 VW Passat W8 6spd Wagon @123k - 1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base @257k - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd @74k - 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd @151k - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base @154k

Wow. A population of nearly 50,000, and they had TEN CARS STOLEN LAST YEAR! CALL OUT THE FEDS! IT'S A CRIME SPREE!

Seriously. 10 cars in a fairly large population is enough to make them give out ridiculous tickets on private property? And I'm guessing that out of the ten, a couple were parents reporting little Sally Runaway as having "stolen" their car, or similar domestic issues, like spouses and parmours vengefully calling the police over a "stolen" car. Or people that report their car stolen, but were towed by private property owners and fly-by-night towing companies.
      DCIVW
      CE.

He fought the law, and the law won.
      http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...lle/100732952/

Roseville — Warming up your car in the driveway might be a Michigan winter tradition, but a judge says it’s not legal in a Detroit suburb if no one’s behind the wheel.

Nick Taylor challenged a $125 ticket in court Thursday and lost. His lawyer, Nicholas Somberg, says a Roseville ordinance against unattended running vehicles shouldn’t apply to driveways.

But Judge Marco Santia says the law is in the public interest.

Taylor got attention in January when he posted a photo of the ticket on Facebook. The post was shared more than 6,000 times and garnered more than 5,000 comments.

Roseville Police Chief James Berlin has defended the ticket. He says a thief could have stolen Taylor’s car.

Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Good. Fck this guy.

And this law, and subsequent ruling, will embolden every broke dick, bored, small-town cop to do this.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
      NO. Get off my lawn! Err.. Driveway.
      Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      Mine was white, and I sprayed on the BRG with a rattle can. "Instant Lotus Cortina!"
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=lotus

Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Roseville Police Chief James Berlin has defended the ticket. He says a thief could have stolen Taylor’s car.
      Questions for Roseville Police Chief James Berlin...

If I leave my garage door open, someone could come by and steal my ladder. Should it now be illegal to leave my garage door open?

If I let my kids outside to play soccer in the park, someone could come by and kidnap my kids. Should it now be illegal for them to play outside?

It is ASININE to fine someone because an action (or inaction) on their part COULD lead to someone knowingly breaking a different law. How about increasing (or even enforcing) the penalties for the laws that are ALREADY ON THE GOD DAMN BOOKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fixmy59bug View Post
      How about increasing (or even enforcing) the penalties for the laws that are ALREADY ON THE GOD DAMN BOOKS!!!
      This law was on the books so I would say they were doing exactly what you want them to do...
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by fixmy59bug View Post
      Questions for Roseville Police Chief James Berlin...

If I leave my garage door open, someone could come by and steal my ladder. Should it now be illegal to leave my garage door open?

If I let my kids outside to play soccer in the park, someone could come by and kidnap my kids. Should it now be illegal for them to play outside?

It is ASININE to fine someone because an action (or inaction) on their part COULD lead to someone knowingly breaking a different law. How about increasing (or even enforcing) the penalties for the laws that are ALREADY ON THE GOD DAMN BOOKS!!!
      I leave old WW2 land mines scattered around my yard and driveway. I mean sure, someone COULD be walking on my property and blow themselves up, but thats not my problem. They shouldn't be there anyways. Whats next? Banning landmines? DARN POLICE STATE.

Sure, cars pollute, but they arent as bad as coal powered power plants. So we should just ignore car pollution. Just like how burglary isnt really as bad as murder, which is why we ignore burglers and only catch murders.

Speaking of murder, ITS MY PROPERTY, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT. So I want to leave my car idling? No problem. Stay out of my life big government.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast