Do you believe you should be liable for a ticket if you leave your car idling in your driveway? - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Do you believe you should be liable for a ticket if you leave your car idling in your driveway?

Voters
    207. You may not vote on this poll
    • NO

147 71.01%
    • YES

60 28.99%
    Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Is it because of what I drive?
      You need to have a utecamino to win this confrontation. Or a real knife.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      I own a rebadged Holden. How do I stack up?
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I own a rebadged Holden. How do I stack up?
      I'm pretty sure that's Tommy Hilfiger branded Koala leather Cod Piece territory, but I could be wrong.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      My first V8 and manual transmission experience was a utecamino. 20 years later I own a ute based off of a Paul Hogan approved design with a turbo and three pedals, also I have a few Gerber knives. None of them of them are endorsed by the pee drinker.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Problem there is as private as your driveway may be thieves don't give a blank about that. I'm totally surprised that even on this message board there's so little concern for your pride and joy falling into the wrong hands.
      I don't know about others, but I only do this when I'm removing snow and ice off the vehicle. Which is also something most people can't seem to be bothered with anymore.

Maybe some of us live in peace, and we aren't constantly threatened by the possibility of foul play?
      Well, to get to my idling vehicle, you'd have to get through the locked gate. At that point, a car thief will have bigger problems.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Even on private property? How about if I ask them nicely to take a hike? With everything going on in the country, someone letting their car idle for a few minutes to reduce engine wear, clear the windows so they can see, and improve how the car works is just about the smallest plankton in the sea. On a public street, sure, if only because of technical jurisdiction, but giving me a ticket on private property because I didn't jump in my car and drive away in 5* weather is wrong and feels like a money gouge more than anything. Seems to me they should have to do the same thing, considering they uphold the law and are supposed to be setting the example.

Oh, right, do as I say, not as I do. Got it!
      Exactly. And if a law enforcement officer wants to wander onto my property and cite me then I very much take issue with that.

This, and this. And I doubt the ability of the officer to be able to tell if my old/unusual cars are unlocked unless he pulls the handle.

What does that mean?
      It's J-Tim, so it means what he always meant- that we, as humans are a cancer and a scourge on the earth and we should return to subsistence living. Unless we have the correct political views, of course

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      those who say idling a car to warm it up should never be done have never lived somewhere where windchills regularly hit -20 to -30 and sometimes -40.

start your car in that - the car literally screams and howls, and the steering is frozen stiff - you could do real damage to the vehicle by not allowing it to warm up.

in fact back in the hydraulic steering days, doing exactly this resulted in a power steering pump failure.

as for those who cant lock the car running with the spare key, that sucks. modern vws wont let you but my lowly simple ford will, thank god.
      This. And fortunately, since my Volvo/Aston Martin key busted in half, I can actually lock my car running, but I can't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post

Well, to get to my idling vehicle, you'd have to get through the locked gate. At that point, a car thief will have bigger problems.
      Insurance. And the only car I'm concerned about getting stolen is my manual/LSD/Hardtop Miata. Try stealing a 30 year old Z car with a dead battery, or my manual Volvo with gear linkage issues. In fact, I'd be relieved if the S40 was stolen.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

those who say idling a car to warm it up should never be done have never lived somewhere where windchills regularly hit -20 to -30 and sometimes -40.

start your car in that - the car literally screams and howls, and the steering is frozen stiff - you could do real damage to the vehicle by not allowing it to warm up.

in fact back in the hydraulic steering days, doing exactly this resulted in a power steering pump failure.

as for those who cant lock the car running with the spare key, that sucks. modern vws wont let you but my lowly simple ford will, thank god.
      windchill has no impact on how warm or cold your car is, after sitting, from a mechanical standpoint. now that I've said this, let the anti-science commence.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchStick View Post
      windchill has no impact on how warm or cold your car is, after sitting, from a mechanical standpoint. now that I've said this, let the anti-science commence.
      no, but to achieve winchill factors of those numbers it has to be well below freezing, and the point still stands.

Even on private property? How about if I ask them nicely to take a hike? With everything going on in the country, someone letting their car idle for a few minutes to reduce engine wear, clear the windows so they can see, and improve how the car works is just about the smallest plankton in the sea. On a public street, sure, if only because of technical jurisdiction, but giving me a ticket on private property because I didn't jump in my car and drive away in 5* weather is wrong and feels like a money gouge more than anything. Seems to me they should have to do the same thing, considering they uphold the law and are supposed to be setting the example.

Oh, right, do as I say, not as I do. Got it!
      I'll give you clearing the windows but it doesn't reduce engine wear or "improve how the car works". Drive slowly for the first 1/2 mile and car gets up to temperature quicker and you reduce how long it ends up running. Manufacturers recommend you start the car and drive it reasonably and I have never seen a study that proved it reduced engine wear to have extended idling.

Exactly. And if a law enforcement officer wants to wander onto my property and cite me then I very much take issue with that.

Maybe some of us live in peace, and we aren't constantly threatened by the possibility of foul play?
      The whole "private property I can do what I want" idea is a joke, for most areas of the country try building an addition on your house (see how many people get involved), build too tall of a fence, burn leaves in your backyard, create too much noise, leave cars parked in your yard, don't mow the lawn, etc. and see how well it works because it is your property to do what you want.

As already said windchill is irrelevant and it regularly gets to 20 below for 1% of the population 1% of the time? We'll accept this answer for parts a couple of states a small amount of time?
      Last edited by dmorrow; 01-12-2017 at 08:38 AM.

You know what? Wind chill most definitely does have an effect. Moving air causes evaporation I think most know this. Evaporation causes cooling. Any liquid (and yes indeed liquid WILL be on my car since melting agents are spread everywhere on the roads here). Wash your car to remove the grime and viola!!! Frozen doors, etc... Pouring cold water to loosen icing on windows is a very good idea while letting the car warm some so that all moving parts are not frozen, this is not foolish but very sensible. Maybe in some areas this is not necessary but HERE it absolutely is an intelligent thing to do (Let alone allowing the engine to warm a bit so the oil will be able to manage the variable timing well). Fuel burning??? To wait a long time for warming is just a waste but come off it already, I've been doing this a very long time and had to fix too many problems due to running off with frozen vehicles up to including breaking metal parts due to extreme cold. Not everybody hass to deal with such extremes but indeedy so; some of us do.

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post
      The whole "private property I can do what I want" idea is a joke, for most areas of the country try building an addition on your house (see how many people get involved), build too tall of a fence, burn leaves in your backyard, create too much noise, leave cars parked in your yard, don't mow the lawn, etc. and see how well it works because it is your property to do what you want.
      Nowhere did I say "it's my property I can do what I want." If the ordinance states if it's for vehicles parked on public streets or property publicly accessible there should be no reason for enforcement of the law on private property. I understand my rights and the rights of law enforcement when it comes accessing property.

I'm fully versed of the trials and tribulations of being a homeowner. My home is on the national historic register, as I live in a historic district. That being said, I'm not a derelict and you are misunderstanding my point. As an upstanding citizen it's my choice to oppose any sort of ordinance where a law enforcement officer may feel the need to wander 70' from the sidewalk and start looking in my car windows or grabbing door handles. Absolutely I oppose that, and if such a thing existed in my area I'd do what I could to get the law changed if I could.

I'm no lawyer so I'm not going to get in a long drawn out argument regarding curtilage or the 4th amendment. My neighborhood is relatively crime free and auto theft rate is a relatively uncommon occurrence in my city.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Quote Originally Posted by George Bluth View Post
      And keep the garage door closed of course, so the cops can't ticket you.

Take a video and show us how it's done!
      My neighbor opens his garage just above tailpipe height and warms his car up. It's not illegal to idle here so I guess he's doing it that way to prevent his car from getting stolen.

I've never really had a purpose for warming my car up since radiant heat keeps my garage well above freezing even on the coldest mornings. Same thing for the garage at work. I guess if I was parking in the elements I'd be idling on cold mornings too. FTL
      Quote Originally Posted by xtravbx View Post
      No one was talking about crub sensors, whatever those are.

And also, what are "fents, burshes, and briks." ?

We must not have those in Florida.

Um....no. I saw your blog Idling Cars Matter, and the monsters that own them You aren't fooling anyone
      You got me

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I don't know about others, but I only do this when I'm removing snow and ice off the vehicle. Which is also something most people can't seem to be bothered with anymore.

Well that I can understand since you're still right next to the car, while others just start their car up and head back indoors after that. That's who the cops are really after. That's also who is really flirting with disaster at the same time too. I believe this is the #1 cause of car theft.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Banned
      Stupid stupid stupid.

This is one where it's the biggest BS ever. Do these cops start a stopwatch and collect the time up to a "ticketable" amount? Do they ticket instantly?

While they argue the time/cost of stolen cars in the same breath they don't give two ****s about your car or home break-in. They won't help with a vast majority of other things but will enforce this because THEY think it helps themselves.

Private property, GTFO.

This is the kind of thing where people need to say enough and go to the town council and demand it be overturned, and if not tar and feather the *******s after the meeting.

How about the same for cops idling their cruisers when directing traffic. A vagrant could easily go jump in the cop car and take off..........oh wait.........it's the cop's car so obviously the rules don't apply.

Banned
      Well that I can understand since you're still right next to the car, while others just start their car up and head back indoors after that. That's who the cops are really after. That's also who is really flirting with disaster at the same time too. I believe this is the #1 cause of car theft.
      You can look out your window sipping coffee and be right there. Who's to judge where true "negligence" begins, and how to prove that?

Sometimes I idle my car if it's cold outside. I also leave lights on while nobody's in a room. And sometimes I leave the refrigerator and/or freezer door open for periods of time longer than should be necessary.

That's what I do, yeah. But it's a stick, so chances are most thieves are too ignorant to drive it away anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by N2OInferno View Post
      Sometimes I idle my car if it's cold outside. I also leave lights on while nobody's in a room. And sometimes I leave the refrigerator and/or freezer door open for periods of time longer than should be necessary.
      Same.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cameron1152 View Post
      lol a vw 1.8t will put down 201/194 with a cranked wastegate and open exhaust after cat.
      a 35000 dollar civic (and average dealer markup is in the 14k range right now) getting **** on in every way by a 02 jetta is a big deal.. for 35k I can buy a golf r and have more power, more torque, better interior, better engine (more tested) AWD, and not pay 14k in markup.

Happens all the time in Baltimore. The police will not ticket you for idling unattended, but if your car gets stolen because of it, you will be ticketed for it. Apparently, there are still people stupid enough to do this in the hood and act surprised when their car gets stolen.
      Haunted Car Stories MEGA THREAD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperMonkeys
      I'm not entirely comfortable with this blood-soaked celery, but I'll eat it anyway. Of all the evidence I've eaten though, I like KNIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
      Happens all the time in Baltimore. The police will not ticket you for idling unattended, but if your car gets stolen because of it, you will be ticketed for it. Apparently, there are still people stupid enough to do this in the hood and act surprised when their car gets stolen.
      Lol, talk about things not to do in Bodmor.
      lol a vw 1.8t will put down 201/194 with a cranked wastegate and open exhaust after cat.
      a 35000 dollar civic (and average dealer markup is in the 14k range right now) getting **** on in every way by a 02 jetta is a big deal.. for 35k I can buy a golf r and have more power, more torque, better interior, better engine (more tested) AWD, and not pay 14k in markup.

And the irony, I'm sure, is that the officer in question left his patrol car running the entire time. Hell, the officers here leave their cars running, unattended, and full of weaponry when they run in to a store to get coffee. And we are not exactly a low crime city.

And just for you pearl clutchers and letter of the law enthusiasts, since it's weirdly warm here today, I'm going to go home and start all three cars I have running right now, and just leave them idle. The '85 Supra, in particular, runs VERY rich upon cold startup. May have to leave that running longer. 20 minutes? Half an hour? Not sure. Enough time for the thermostats to open and cycle the fans. I really wish my '82 diesel were running right now. In the Winter, in order to get the damned thing to defrost, I have to leave it forever just to get to operating temps. Otherwise, it sounds like a CAT D9 dozer and shakes like a junkie coming down.

I love the people who have never woken up to an inch of glaze ice topped with 6 inches of packed, wet snow on their cars talking about not needing to warm up. Even after you get it scraped (while running), you then have to wait for the condensation on the inside to abate. That is, if you got into your car at all, doors and handles frozen solid.

And these studies, I'm sure, are with newer cars that run 0w and 5w oils. Ever cold start a car in about 0 degrees fahrenheit that's running 10w40, 15w40 diesel oil, or even 20w50? While turning the key, I just keep saying "SORRY SORRY SORRY" like when you're easing in...um... without lube. Oh my god, you can hear the engines screaming. Even when adding oil that's been sitting in the trunk, it just looks like molasses going in.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Jetta View Post
      My neighbor opens his garage just above tailpipe height and warms his car up. It's not illegal to idle here so I guess he's doing it that way to prevent his car from getting stolen.

I've never really had a purpose for warming my car up since radiant heat keeps my garage well above freezing even on the coldest mornings. Same thing for the garage at work. I guess if I was parking in the elements I'd be idling on cold mornings too. FTL
      Surprised that anyone with an enclosed garage goes to the trouble to do it. Warmer in the garage than outside and more trouble to start the car and let it run than the car outside the garage.

I am shocked at how many people voted yes. Whether the reason is pollution or risk of theft, allowing this much government control over such a minor thing is crazy. There is a lot of legal behavior that causes a lot more pollution, like mowing your lawn. If stolen cars are such burden on tax payers, fine violators after the fact, not in anticipation of.
      Control freaks need to give it a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
      I am shocked at how many people voted yes. Whether the reason is pollution or risk of theft, allowing this much government control over such a minor thing is crazy. There is a lot of legal behavior that causes a lot more pollution, like mowing your lawn. If stolen cars are such burden on tax payers, fine violators after the fact, not in anticipation of.
      Control freaks need to give it a rest.
      You're better off fineing violators before the theft ever happens. I have no problem with that too since insurance companies are left covering for the stolen property. Any cost accountant will tell you this stolen vehicle still filters down to the cost your premium.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

You're better off fineing violators before the theft ever happens. I have no problem with that too since insurance companies are left covering for the stolen property. Any cost accountant will tell you this stolen vehicle still filters down to the cost your premium.

Same thing applies to drunk drivers, but cops don't walk into bars and ask anybody who has a drink in their hand if they drove there, and then arrest them for it.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast