Do you believe you should be liable for a ticket if you leave your car idling in your driveway? - Page 5
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Do you believe you should be liable for a ticket if you leave your car idling in your driveway?

Voters
    206. You may not vote on this poll
    • NO

146 70.87%
    • YES

60 29.13%
    Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      You're better off fineing violators before the theft ever happens. I have no problem with that too since insurance companies are left covering for the stolen property. Any cost accountant will tell you this stolen vehicle still filters down to the cost your premium.
      Agree. Person's car left running and stolen costs all of us in insurance premiums. Once we all start paying for stupid behavior then I think we can give our opinion on how to alter this behavior. People don't want to be told what to do but at the same time want the problem to be covered regardless of what caused it.

This is both running and keys in the car so maybe they should broaden the scope of the fine.

In 2015, 57,096 cars were reported stolen with the keys left inside. The NICB said that numbers are likely even higher because many people don’t want to admit their vehicle disappeared because they were careless about leaving keys behind.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nati...#storylink=cpy

Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Same thing applies to drunk drivers, but cops don't walk into bars and ask anybody who has a drink in their hand if they drove there, and then arrest them for it.
      This makes no sense, they drove to the bar and are drinking alcohol there and you have no idea how much they have had to drink. You realize it is completely legal for me to drive to a bar and get drunk?
      Last edited by dmorrow; 01-12-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post
      Agree. Person's car left running and stolen costs all of us in insurance premiums. Once we all start paying for stupid behavior then I think we can give our opinion on how to alter this behavior. People don't want to be told what to do but at the same time want the problem to be covered regardless of what caused it.

This is both running and keys in the car so maybe they should broaden the scope of the fine.
      If people like you want to live in a nanny state, they are entitled to their opinion. The rest of us don't want behavior as petty as this example enforced by police. There are too many variables. Maybe I have a kill switch or a tracking system or a video camera facing my driveway. Maybe people should be held accountable when things actually go wrong instead of trying control every little thing that can't be controlled.

BTW, people trying to control other people is what fueds and wars are fought over. You got to pick your battles and this is not it.
      Last edited by Porkchopexpress; 01-12-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Once we all start paying for stupid behavior then I think we can give our opinion on how to alter this behavior.
      Don't have health insurance do you
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

I was responding to a PM, and I'm about to walk into the grocery store. Right now I'm sitting in a parking lot idling while I type this. Errr Mah gerd the atmosphere.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I was responding to a PM, and I'm about to walk into the grocery store. Right now I'm sitting in a parking lot idling while I type this. Errr Mah gerd the atmosphere.
      Obviously in your parts you have no clue what "below zero" is all about.
      I SUPPORT ROZAPS CUZ I CAN'T POSSIBLY VIEW EVERY THREAD ON THIS BOARD

Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Obviously in your parts you have no clue what "below zero" is all about.
      It was an awful 46 degrees in the parking lot. I like the vibration at idle. It's a gentle back massage.
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.

It was an awful 46 degrees in the parking lot. I like the vibration at idle. It's a gentle back massage.
      It seems like your aren't firing on all cylinders, you ok?
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      It seems like your aren't firing on all cylinders, you ok?
      Either my Malibu is a V6 with a dead coil pack, or it's an LS3. I'm not sure which one is which. I'm not really a car guy.

Either my Malibu is a V6 with a dead coil pack, or it's an LS3. I'm not sure which one is which. I'm not really a car guy.
      If your police car doesn't have cylinder deactivation I'm going to sic Jtim on you, as he has jurisdiction over your imported fleet sedan.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Even an idiot should know that this is bad for the car. Get in, start it and drive away. If you're cold,wear more clothes.

However, if it's on PRIVATE PROPERTY, you should be able to leave an unattended lowrider jumping in your driveway

If it hurts someone or causes some other issue you may be able to be found liable but because some MIGHT steal it is a BULLSH*T reason for a ticket. Another reason that I'm glad that I don't live someplace so cold.

Classified forum rules require that you post a price. If you don't know what to ask, they suggest that you search past FS threads.

So, when your item sells, please don't edit out your price and description when you mark it "SOLD". Rather, edit to show selling price.

Quote Originally Posted by whoisglipglop View Post
      I'm from Wisconsin. I still don't warm the car up. I drive gently until it warms up, but I still drive.
      Oh God

Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      thats some great logic.

we can't catch the crooks, so lets penalize law abiding citizens by creating a law to make normal, non-issue behaviors illegal and then fine them.
      Crazy stupid ain't it!

The officers should set up bait cars and catch these punks.

What if I am preconditioning my electric car? It's on a timer that warms up the battery and interior before the morning commute. If at a store or restaurant I can use my phone to precondition the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
      I am shocked at how many people voted yes. Whether the reason is pollution or risk of theft, allowing this much government control over such a minor thing is crazy. .
      Why exactly? Seems to work fine to me.

I got into my car, started it up, and drove this morning. I couldn't see for the first 10 minutes or so. Fog on the inside of the windows, because it was 60 and rained like holy hell last night, and is 28 this morning. Oh, well. I just hoped that no kids jumped out in front of me.
      DCIVW
      CE.

USA, the land of the free? haaaaa If we can't idle our car in our own driveway, we are not free.
      It go down in the DM

Quote Originally Posted by suburbangeorge View Post
      Even an idiot should know that this is bad for the car.
      Has any car in the history of the world ever been damaged due to idling?

Imagine if the engineers took into consideration that cars will sit to idle to warm up or god forbid, idle in traffic for a couple hours a day.

Yeah, you might get a little condensation in the crankcase, but how many catastrophic engine failures have ever happened on the planet that could be directly attributed to idling and nothing other than idling? Probably zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
      If people like you want to live in a nanny state, they are entitled to their opinion. The rest of us don't want behavior as petty as this example enforced by police. There are too many variables. Maybe I have a kill switch or a tracking system or a video camera facing my driveway. Maybe people should be held accountable when things actually go wrong instead of trying control every little thing that can't be controlled.

BTW, people trying to control other people is what fueds and wars are fought over. You got to pick your battles and this is not it.
      Quite the opposite, I am completely for you being able to make your own dumb choices and then paying for them out of your pocket. People like you want to be able to make stupid choices because of their "freedoms" but want the rest of us to pay to help pay for it through increased insurance rates. If the car is stolen with the keys in it and it isn't covered by insurance than I am fine with it and it seems like this is completely the opposite of a "nanny state", you make a decision and pay for the consequences. No enforcement, complete freedom by the owner, and insurance tells you tough luck, problem solved if the issue was cars being stolen.

BTW, people out of control are often what fueds and wars are over.

A "video camera" is a good one, this will stop someone from stealing a car that has the keys in and is running? At best you will watch him drive off, then I am assuming you expect the police (and everyone that pays for the police) and possibly insurance to get involved because of you are "free" but need help solving the dumb problem you caused?

Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Don't have health insurance do you
      Not following your point. I definitely have an opinion on health insurance for people that don't try at all to be healthy.
      Last edited by dmorrow; 01-13-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      USA, the land of the free? haaaaa If we can't idle our car in our own driveway, we are not free.
      Breaking news, "freedom" is thrown around like somehow you can do what you want when you want but I can't think of any part of my life that isn't controlled at some level by laws and regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdi13golf View Post
      What if I am preconditioning my electric car?
      It rubs the chamois on it's skin or else it gets the keys again.

Not following your point. I definitely have an opinion on health insurance for people that don't try at all to be healthy.
      Auto insurance premiums are far more tailored to an individual than Health Insurance premiums are. Buy a corvette, pay more than a camry owner. Eat a big mac, pay the same as a vegan
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Quote Originally Posted by whoisglipglop View Post
      I'm from Wisconsin. I still don't warm the car up. I drive gently until it warms up, but I still drive.
      Same here in Chicago. It's not that bad, especially if you dress warm enough, there's no wind to deal with either. It's still a hell of a lot easier to do than wait at the dreaded bus stop or train station. I still can't get some of those miserable experiences of waiting for the train to come in the ice cold out of my head. Most cars are no problem. I have heard of about the weak heating in the old Vdubs too.

Ill vote yes, because it's just dumb to idle with your keys in the ignition and you not there. It's highly unlikely to ever be enforced but if it is, sorry pay up. Same with the stretch of HOV I drive. After never ever seeing a cop one time in years I just use it no matter what. There's only 1 spot a cop could hid and it's obvious when they're there. But, if I do get bagged, so be it. The cost of all those fast trips is like the toll for it. But still not been bagged and unlikely I will be. Suckers just sitting in traffic as I whip by.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

Hell no.

This time of year, on the way home from work I remote start my car from the train when it gets to the stop before mine. Zero ****s given.

Thanks, MyChevy app!

Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Ill vote yes, because it's just dumb to idle with your keys in the ignition and you not there. It's highly unlikely to ever be enforced but if it is, sorry pay up.
      Oh it's enforced all the time though, that's because both sides of the law are enforcing it. And you're a lot better off when a cop enforces it versus the other side of the law, which might just happen more than cops enforcing it.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast