What's Wrong With BMW?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

What's Wrong With BMW?

In my experience when a company can't hold on to key talent there tends to be something unhealthy in the culture that drives those departures.

BMW is losing it's 3rd design chief in 2 years!

Any idea what's going on here?

Personally I haven't been a fan of this guy's work, but most seem to be. Are there internal problems with their design house???
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      In my experience when a company can't hold on to key talent there tends to be something unhealthy in the culture that drives those departures.

Personally I haven't been a fan of this guy's work, but most seem to be. Are there internal problems with their design haus???
      All i got

Sales are down, internal pressure must be immense to get back into the #1 spot and beat Lexus/MBZ (not gonna happen IMO)
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Sales are up for some of these brands because they introduce and fill every niche possible.

What happens when you run of of niches to fill, i.e BMW?

Didn't BMW say their customers really don't want feedback through the steering wheel?

Why not just get a Lexus instead then.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewSXR View Post

Didn't BMW say their customers really don't want feedback through the steering wheel?

Why not just get a Lexus instead then.
      That's what most people are doing.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DrewSXR View Post
      Sales are up for some of these brands because they introduce and fill every niche possible.

What happens when you run of of niches to fill, i.e BMW?
      BMW's sales were eroded due to competition in their core lines as well though. As I said before in the Lexus sales thread, I'm sure Audi has really eaten up some of BMW's market share.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      BMW's sales were eroded due to competition in their core lines as well though. As I said before in the Lexus sales thread, I'm sure Audi has really eaten up some of BMW's market share.
      IIRC 2016 sales for BMW were down 9-10%.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post

Personally I haven't been a fan of this guy's work, but most seem to be. Are there internal problems with their design house???
      I haven't seen a good BMW design after the e46, most BMW models becoming more like the Accord or Camry

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      I haven't seen a good BMW design after the e46, most BMW models becoming more like the Accord or Camry
      Yup new BMWs are meh.

I test drove a 2014 3 series the other day. It didn't feel sporty or luxury, just boring. Like a Buick. I think they need to steal some talent from VAG. Maybe some engineers from VW TDI division could be found at a discount?

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Yup new BMWs are meh.
      They are trying to sell as many 30/40k BMW's to people who want to say I drive a "B.M.W."

For anyone with 2 eyeballs it is pretty apparent why sales are down. The designs range from staid 3/5/7 series, to atrocious x4/x6.

Also every model has at least one weird design flourish that is completely out of place. The only BMW out right now that looks unapologetically sexy is the 6 series grand coupe'.

MB has been going nuclear in the performance wars, and their interiors look 2 generations ahead of BMW. On the lower end everyone is buying crossovers and while the X1 is great for its segment I imagine it is low margin, and the x3 continues the tradition of being the ugliest in its class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Sales are down, internal pressure must be immense to get back into the #1 spot and beat Lexus/MBZ (not gonna happen IMO)
      One of my good friends just switched from BMW to MBZ (from a 428i to a C43AMG). He said he probably isn't gonna go back to BMW :/. Btw, I drove his C43 and my god its epic! If the C43 is that good, I wonder how the C63 is

Who here remembers the last time anyone in TCL was excited about a new BMW? Their performance variants get good reviews but they're lost in everyman lineups. I remember 15-20 years ago when every 3/5/7 Series were serious performance cars, not just pompous status symbols.
      Power is knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
      I test drove a 2014 3 series the other day. It didn't feel sporty or luxury, just boring. Like a Buick. I think they need to steal some talent from VAG. Maybe some engineers from VW TDI division could be found at a discount?
      Was it a non sport package or M-sport 3 series? Then that's why. The regular base 3 series is nothing great, same as a base MBZ C300.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
      That's what more and more car magazines keep saying too. BMW is caving in to mainstream sales. I thought going soft and mushy was increasing their sales? At least I see a ton of soccer moms cruising X3 and X5's.

Debbie Travis: 2008 BMW X5
      Debbie Travis, the leading lady of home renovations, created one of North America’s first decorating shows, The Painted House. A string of hit TV series followed along with best-selling books, a paint and housewares line, and internationally-syndicated newspaper columns. The ex-model did it all while raising two kids, Josh, 25, and Max, 24.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post

Debbie Travis, the leading lady of home renovations, created one of North America’s first decorating shows, The Painted House. A string of hit TV series followed along with best-selling books, a paint and housewares line, and internationally-syndicated newspaper columns. The ex-model did it all while raising two kids, Josh, 25, and Max, 24.
      Bless her soul!
      Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHamster View Post
      Imagine the B4 Passat as the guinea pig/red headed step child that everyone hates.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      That's what more and more car magazines keep saying too. BMW is caving in to mainstream sales. I thought going soft and mushy was increasing their sales? At least I see a ton of soccer moms cruising X3 and X5's.

The funny thing about you using this as an example is that the E70 generation of BMW is supposed to be a fantastic driver. It was kind of the pinnacle of BMW's "**** everything else, let's make a vehicle that drives great" philosophy. Maybe a a little over complicated, but every BMW is a bit more complicated than it needs to be, and that's going back generations to the E39's double balljoint virtual pivot steering knuckles. The important thing is that it drove great.

And then they make the F10 snoozer, then the F30 snoozer, and then they made the X1 front wheel drive. And now the enthusiasts don't care, the brand whores are pissed about reliability and nobody is happy.

Except sales are up I think. How'd that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Except sales are up I think. How'd that happen?
      Sales are down actually.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      BMW hasn't had a good designer since Wilhelm Hofmeister.

I wouldn't say that BMW is looking stale

Other companies are just looking better and better. The days of the beige camry are over. All the companies have up'd their design game.

In the past 3-5 years, we've seen the BRZ/FRS which in my opinion is the best looking car under $30k. We have the Q50 which looks great for what it is. Even the newer Nissans are looking better.

Honda's new Civic looks awesome and it's under $20k. VW is looking boring with their lineup, save for the Golf line. Even the newer trucks look great. Toyota Tacoma and Tundra look rad.

Everyone's up'd their game and BMW has kept the same iterations for how long now?

They're basically producing the same car, just pinching features, making kidneys bigger/smaller. Here's a 2006/2013/2017 3/4 series coupes from a similar angle. Granted the E9x series went on forever. And the latest F series seems like the just left the caps lock on when designing and fed it weight gainer.

Now here's 80s/90s/E46. Is it so bad to mix up the design language?

*Note: There may be bias as I am an E36 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post

Now here's 80s/90s/E46. Is it so bad to mix up the design language?

*Note: There may be bias as I am an E36 owner.
      It would be awesome imo if they went to a "throwback" design and revisited the 80's.

I recall Bangle saying something like there needs to be a design revolution, followed by a period of evolution, and then another revolution. I think it's been about 15 years or so since the revolution, and now it's time for another one.

I drive one and don't think it looks particularly great and neither does the interior. Other companies like Audi and Mercedes are doing way better interiors. Companies like Jag and Alfa are killing it with the exterior designs.

I love how my M235ix drives and its size. It looks a little odd, but there really isn't much else in the niche to compete for my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast