Facelifted Toyota Yaris revealed - Gains new 1.5-liter engine, water-cooled exhaust manifold
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Facelifted Toyota Yaris revealed - Gains new 1.5-liter engine, water-cooled exhaust manifold

Quote Originally Posted by Press Release
      TOYOTA LINES UP NEW 1.5 PETROL ENGINE FOR YARIS
      New ESTEC unit promises stronger performance and improved emissions and fuel economy

Toyota is introducing a new 1.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine to the Yaris range to replace the current 1.33-litre unit, offering not only more power, more torque and faster acceleration, but also improved fuel economy and lower CO2emissions.

Developed in anticipation of the future Euro 6c emissions standard and RDE (Real Driving Emission) homologation requirements, it is a member of Toyota’s ESTEC (Economy with Superior Thermal Efficiency) engine family. It benefits from new technical features that deliver better performance and a more enjoyable drive, while at the same time achieving a reduction of up to 12 per cent* in fuel consumption, under current NEDC official test criteria.

The new unit is being manufactured by Toyota Motor Industries Poland as part of a €150 million production investment programme by Toyota Motor Europe.

In Yaris the naturally aspirated 1,496cm2 engine develops a maximum 110bhp/82kW and peak torque of 136Nm at 4,400rpm. Its responsiveness ensures a comfortable drive both in urban traffic and on the open road. Compared to the 1.33-litre unit, it is 0.8 seconds quicker in acceleration from 0 – 62mph (11.0 versus 11.8), while at overtaking speed the improvement is more than a second, moving from 50 to 75mmph in 17.6 seconds compared to 18.8.

Meeting the challenge of emissions and fuel economy

Toyota’s world-leading experience in hybrid powertrain technology has proved valuable in addressing the challenges presented by the new Euro 6c emissions standard and RDE homologation cycle, witnessed in the new engine achieving a 38.5 per cent thermal efficiency value, placing it among the best on the market. This has been achieved by using a high, 13.5:1 compression ratio, adopting a cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system and extending the variable valve timing operation so that the engine can switch from the Otto to the Atkinson cycle to gain optimum efficiency in different driving conditions.

The higher compression ratio has been made possible by the combustion chamber design and new pistons, which promote a homogenous air/petrol mixture and rapid combustion. Cooled EGR reduces combustion temperature and also helps prevent the occurrence of engine knocking. Furthermore, the volume of reinjected inert gases allows for a reduction in pumping losses at low and medium loads, improving overall engine efficiency.

The adoption of a new variable inlet valve timing system – VVT-iE** – allows the engine to switch from the Otto to the Atkinson cycle (and vice-versa) in a fraction of a second. Controlled electronically, closure of the intake valve is delayed, reducing the compression phase and further helping reduce pumping losses (Atkinson cycle), and enabling a prompt return to the Otto cycle for better performance under high loads The phase shift of the exhaust camshaft is hydraulically controlled.

Toyota’s first water-cooled exhaust manifold

The engineers also focused on improving fuel consumption at sustained motorway cruising speeds, leading to the use – for the first time on a Toyota – of a water-cooled exhaust manifold. By limiting the gas temperature, this avoids the need for mixture enrichment to reduce combustion temperature at any motorway driving speed. As a result, both fuel consumption and exhaust emissions are reduced.

In common with other Toyota ESTEC engines, the 1.5-litre unit benefits from the latest measures designed to reduce friction losses.

*with CVT ** Variable Valve Timing – intelligent Electric Motor
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

You're all done! The new Yaris looks pissed off!

The mono-wiper lives! Interior is the same and the engine looks interesting but not too fun. Are we getting the refreshed Yaris here (especially that turbo one)?

Side note: our Corolla has those circular HVAC vents and they are a pretty neat design. Instead of a single flap that flips over to block airflow, it has five or six petals that swing around together (controlled by the center knob) to close it off. It kind of looks like the aperture in a lens closing up.

Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

If a zit had a face, it would look like the front end of this Yaris.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      If a zit had a face, it would look like the front end of this Yaris.
      Introducing the new Toyota Zitz!
      |||||||

overall, I find yhis new yaris encouraging...more mpg without a loss of peppiness...

I do like the range of motion offered by a round vent. As a kid thought 90s Pontiacs were cool because of that.
      FS: PNY GeForce 2010 Video cards - $10 for 1 or $25 for all 4

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post85839023

Good lord that's hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Good lord that's hideous.
      Seconded. Wow.
      2015 Passat 1.8T Sport
      - Needs Moar Low -

The front end actually whizzes right past ugly and into hilarious. Seriously, I laughed when I saw it.

Its like when a cute little 3 y/o gets really angry, but the look is just so funny you have to laugh.

Chris
      | 2009 Kia Borrego | 2002 BMW 530i with man pedal | 1999 Ford F-250 | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1979 Camaro |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Overall, not bad at all. Not liking the fakey vents on the rear bumper skin, and I'm not feeling the front end, though. The interior seems nicer than I thought it would be, I wonder if the materials compliment the overall design, but I don't think they'd cheap out, given the number of markets the car is available in. Just because NA doesn't see merit in nice interiors on small cars doesn't mean others won't.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Maybe the new engine will finally get better fuel economy than the Corolla.

Where's the Toyota clock

Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Maybe the new engine will finally get better fuel economy than the Corolla.
      The Yaris desperately needs new transmissions.

The stick Yaris does a lot better around town/in traffic since it is so light. I can drive mine like a tool on my commute and it will get 35-36 MPG (upper 30s if I baby it). The Corolla can get mid 30s around town but you have to drive with a light foot.

Where the Corolla shines in comparison is on the highway -- the CVT has the revs at 1800 at 75 and it just loafs along getting upper 30s. With a taller 5th (or 6th) or if they ever get rid of that ancient 4-speed automatic, the Yaris would do a lot better on the highway. It gets low 40s at 55-60 MPH, upper 30s under 70 MPH and mid 30s at 75-80. Mine turns 3000 at 70 and 3500 at 80 -- a lot better than my old Hondas, and it has surprisingly good in-gear power, but I still wish for a tall cruising gear (don't mind downshifting to pass).

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      Where's the Toyota clock
      It is one of the few that doesn't have one! Mine's in the speedo.

Last edited by adrew; 01-24-2017 at 12:44 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Is this the rebadged Mazda 2?

Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Is this the rebadged Mazda 2?
      No. The Yaris iA sedan (previously Scion iA) is the rebadged Mazda 2.
      |||||||

I'm wondering how much the water cooled exhaust is going to help NVH. That said, in those markets where it's popular, modifying and tweaking the engine/exhaust just got much more difficult.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

Spotted one in the wild...

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      You're all done! The new Yaris looks pissed off!
      Love it or hate it, that adds some character to it. I can't blame Toyota though for wanting to play it safe and sell their cars through their reputation for reliability and quality, instead of take a chance with styling:
      I'm a 1 percenter, who actually uses turn signals over 99% of the time for lane changes and turns too, even on my motorcycle

COOL, you can get the hybrid with a radio delete
      Support your local punk & hardcore scene.

Quote Originally Posted by woofsburger View Post
      It's reassuring to know that when I finally hit the 98th percentile of US individual income, that I may then buy my dream car - a Toyota Avalon.

This is the 2nd facelift of this generation Yaris/Vitz, which was in itself just a moderaly revised previous gen Yaris/Vitz. The economic of B-cars must be really grim on a global basis if even Toyota can't justify new models every 5 or 6 years. I was expecting TGNA Yaris to debut this year but looks like that got scrapped.

NVH in this class of vehicle is a major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      This is the 2nd facelift of this generation Yaris/Vitz, which was in itself just a moderaly revised previous gen Yaris/Vitz. The economic of B-cars must be really grim on a global basis if even Toyota can't justify new models every 5 or 6 years. I was expecting TGNA Yaris to debut this year but looks like that got scrapped.
      Probably not worth it given the razor thin profit margin.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

You'd think that the Yaris facelift was done to steal away some of the Honda Fit success. But, I can't say that Toyota will succeed. At least maybe not in the US.

Honda Fit still looks better:

Quote Originally Posted by driveareliablecar View Post
      NVH in this class of vehicle is a major problem.
      what is "NVH" an acronym for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast