Going to replace my 2016 Jetta, Heres is what I am Considering
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Going to replace my 2015 Jetta, Heres is what I am Considering

*Just say the error in the tittle, the car is a 2015 not 2016*

My 2015 Jetta 2.0L has recently become riddled with problems, like a very rough idle start up, malfunctioning radios, cabin heating issues, and the odd smells of burning plastic have me finally fed up. My most recent trip into the dealer was this week to have the radio replaced and another carbon cleaning done that VW keeps insisting will solve the extremely rough idle problem even tho this isn't the first time they've done it in the last 600kms and doesn't explain why it builds up the carbon in such a short time frame. The mystery smells of burning plastic have me have me very concerned is what is pushing me over the edge. Unfortunately I'm only a short period into my payments and I have to be very careful in how I trade or sell the car. I've yet to go to the dealer I bought the car from to see if they'll do anything for me but my hopes aren't high int he least, they haven't been extremely difficult to deal with but aren't putting a large effort into it either.

I'm going to start making my rounds to the dealers this week and I'm trying to narrow down what I'll be going after. One of the reason's I bought the Jetta was it's larger rear seat space for it's class and that is still important to me. I'm mostly looking at used cars this time, only new car I'm really considering is the new Civic but I'm not sure it has the room I want. Right now I'm strongly interested in either 2014 Mazda6 Gt or GS and a 2014 Honda Accord Sport. Not sure I want a standard or automatic but I may take either on the right deal and it's all going to come down to what dealer is willing to do the most to get me out of the Jetta. I'm open to other suggestions. I had thought about either a new Ford Fusion or one a few years old but I'm not sure how I feel about them. We have a 2017 Escape which I love but the Fusion is kind of meh for me.
      Last edited by AVCon; 02-26-2017 at 05:00 PM.

I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      You will get hosed trading that Jetta in. They depreciate like rocks.

Stick it out or shoot for lemon law would be my advice.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Base 2.0 Jetta?
      You better see where you are on the trade in/pay off scale before looking.
      I can't imagine base 2.0 Jettas keep their values.

*My brother had a Jetta rental recently and was really impressed with the way it drive (new turbo engine) but said it was already riddled with interior rattles.
      Wow.
      The Germans really don't know how to do cheap.

*Check to make sure the wheel well liners are attached properly. It seems one being loose and rubbing the wheel can cause melted plastic smell.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      You will get hosed trading that Jetta in. They depreciate like rocks.

Stick it out or shoot for lemon law would be my advice.
      There is no lemon law protection in Canadastan.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      There is no lemon law protection in Canadastan.
      Sucks for him!

OP come to America - It's nicer here.

Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Sucks for him!

OP come to America - It's nicer here.
      That all depends, Canada is the place to be now if you happen to be escaping ICE
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      That all depends, Canada is the place to be now if you happen to be escaping ICE
      True, the last time I got ICEd it was pretty traumatic.

I realized I'll get kicked in the balls for trade in, it's just a matter of how much can I handle. My experience with trading a car in with negative equity has always been based on two things, how much is the dealer willing to do to get your business and how much movement they have in the price to make your trade in look better. If I can find someone to do a convenience deal I'll come out the best. I talked to the salesman I got our Escape from and he gave me a few options on cars on his lot but i wasn't real happy with any of them, mostly all being Focus's with tiny rear seats.

I had a 2016 Jetta with the 1.4T has a loaner and it was a lot nicer to drive then my 2.0L. I didn't buy my car for the fun to drive factory, there was a lot other factory's into play when I got it and it felt like the right move at the time. I was debating on a 1.8T standard and the 2.0L auto, which seems like a no brainier but I set a budget i wanted to stay within and the automatic was more desirable at the time than the 1.8T. If I had to do it over again I'd probably take a 1.8T standard for the little extra a month that cost. The interior doesn't bother me in the least, I find it's right on par or better then other cars in that price group.

If the dealer was willing to out me in the a new Jetta for the same payment I might consider that but I know my wife never would, she hates VW with a passion.

The plastic smell seems to be coming from inside but I'll check out the inner fenders for sure. The smell is random as hell, comes and goes but stays long enough to give me one hell of a headache and it's not like i can roll down the window in the middle of a Nova Scotian winter.

The whole carbon cleaning thing really gets me, either they didn't do a good job the first few times or it's really building carbon up that fast. Or they could have the totally wrong fix and it's nothing to do with carbon build. After the do a cleaning it's good for a few weeks then the symptoms come back before it starts like a tractor again. I've been very patient this whole time but after my most recent trip to the dealer I decided enough was enough and it's time to explore my options.

Is the newer 2.0 from the Mk6 direct injection?
      I thought it was a variation of the mk4 AEG 2.0, in which case they're full of **** about the carbon buildup being the issue.

If you have all the receipts and write ups from the dealer visits, it can't hurt trying to contact VW HQ (VoC ) and explain the constant issues and see if they try to make it right. They are obviously in a world of hurt so you might get a better response from then now than you would at the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanViews View Post
      If you have all the receipts and write ups from the dealer visits, it can't hurt trying to contact VW HQ (VoC ) and explain the constant issues and see if they try to make it right. They are obviously in a world of hurt so you might get a better response from then now than you would at the dealer.
      My wife intentionally did this, and that what got the ball rolling with the dealer really putting an effort into everything. Sad to say that they had to be motivated that way but they need the nudge for sure. We still ahve an open case file with VW Canada put it in hold until we saw how things worked out with the dealer. The dealer isn't being unhappily and probably have either hands tied to what the can get approved from VW, it's just there way it's been handled so far that i don't like. The sad fact is I personal know a lot people in that dealer and I've been doing business with them for years on a few different levels. I hate rocking the boat to hard because they buy from me aswell and I don't want to loss their business either.

I also feel like it's BS about the carbon cleaning and I made them keep the car for a few days to make sure the problem didn't come back fast but a few days wasn't long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanViews View Post
      I would try this or see if another dealer is more helpful before taking a bath on or trade. There is also CAMVAP but not sure if that would be worth it and I don't have any experience with it myself.

My 2016 Nissan Sentra has decent room front and rear. If you end up trading give it a look. I haul my three teenage kids back and forth from school with all their backpacks, band instruments, etc and the legroom is fine.

Have you contacted VW o C about the smell yet?
      That could be a health issue- something they should not take lightly.
      One note - try changing to a different brand of gas.

If you do change vehicles again.. Toyota.
      Seriously, I was upside-down in 03 and needed a new vehicle (neck pains from truck too small) and found a killer deal on a lightly used Tundra. When I traded it two years later on my RX8, I got trade in (off below invoice) for what I originally paid for it (granted, I did put some used oem 4x4 alloys/tires on it and paint touch up work).
      A used Corolla or Camry is boring, but comfortable and dependable.
      And in five years with 100k miles it will still be worth something- so if it does end up being troublesome, you can dump it without taking a major bath.
      That's why Toyota and Honda buyers tend to be satisfied even if they have a lemon- they can dump the lemon without losing too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      If you do change vehicles again.. Toyota.
      Seriously, I was upside-down in 03 and needed a new vehicle (neck pains from truck too small) and found a killer deal on a lightly used Tundra. When I traded it two years later on my RX8, I got trade in (off below invoice) for what I originally paid for it (granted, I did put some used oem 4x4 alloys/tires on it and paint touch up work).
      A used Corolla or Camry is boring, but comfortable and dependable.
      And in five years with 100k miles it will still be worth something- so if it does end up being troublesome, you can dump it without taking a major bath.
      That's why Toyota and Honda buyers tend to be satisfied even if they have a lemon- they can dump the lemon without losing too much money.
      That was my strategy when we dumped our Mirage. New Corolla for about $500 under invoice financed at 0% for 72 months made the couple grand of negative equity relatively painless.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Do you have gap insurance? Just point the car at a parking lot curb stop and nail the throttle.

No negative equity!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
      "Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead."

Damn OP, not trying to be judgmental but you probably should've kept the Rav4 you had originally. Hopefully the Escape you picked up ends up being more reliable than the Jetta

I'd just straight go for the most reliable car you can afford because it seems you always come back to that ultimately - but in the moment (shopping) you choose cars that don't fall neatly into that category lol. NO to the Fusion, yes to the Accord. Quite frankly I'd get a 2015+ Camry since those are always cheap at dealers (and are dead reliable) and be done with it. The 2015+ isn't a bad place to be.

Why do people keep buying the Jetta when the far superior American made Passat exists for a couple grand more?

Quote Originally Posted by xo_vw View Post
      Damn OP, not trying to be judgmental but you probably should've kept the Rav4 you had originally. Hopefully the Escape you picked up ends up being more reliable than the Jetta .
      I convenience dealed the Rav4 for the Escape. No regrets there other than one small issue that the dealer quickly resolved. My wife and I love the Escape a lot more than we ever did the Rav4. Now I only plan a short term ownership with it where it's a lease, long term i would have went Toyota or Honda for sure.

When I bought the Jetta I convenience dealed a previous wrong purchase of my Ridgeline in on the Jetta. I loved the Ridgeline and really miss it now but it just wasn't the right vehicle for my family with the amount of driving I ended up doing for my kids. Fuel was costing me another car payment a month so it had to go. I had it in myh head I needed "truck" and decided the Ridgeline would work best for me where I didn't really need to haul much or tow anything and wanted 4 doors. I don't miss not having use of a truck bed but I miss driving a vehicle like that. A car fits all my daily needs better then anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by s2kvondeutschland View Post
      Do you have gap insurance? Just point the car at a parking lot curb stop and nail the throttle.

No negative equity!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
      I wouldn't intentional do this, it's not in my to be that dishonest but with the winter road conditions it wouldn't break my heart if it found a ditch on a icy road. Unfortunately I'm a great winter driver.

The burning plastic smell is a new issue and I wasn't sure it would reoccur when i had it in last so i didn't mention it but it already happen 2 more times this weekend along. I have another appointment tomorrow and I'm goign to bring it up then.
      Last edited by AVCon; 02-26-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redbluevette View Post
      Why do people keep buying the Jetta when the far superior American made Passat exists for a couple grand more?
      there was a 6 to 7000 difference from a Passat to a Jetta when i bought plus no 0% financing. Thats why

Since it's the naturally aspirated 2.0l, it's not direct injected and carbon buildup is non-existent. Your dealership is being stupid and throwing blanket fixes at it.

I'm assuming that the car is still under warranty. Keep bringing it in until they make it right, and start talking to the GM if service isn't helping.

Has anyone had any luck with getting a dealer to take a car back and get them into something else in a situation like this.

Funny story, I actually had problems with the same dealer but different owner about 12 years ago when we purchased a used car for my wife. We bought Mk4 jetta that was used as their loaner car at the time. Sales guy told me it had a brand new motor right from VW because a customer had it, unknowingly cracked the oil pan and drove it till the motor seized. So I thought great, 0 kms motor with warrant. 30 days later the car was burning a ton of oil and I got the run around from the dealer until the other salesman told me it was a junkyard motor with unknown kms. Knowing this I went to the owner and had to threaten legal action to get him to do anything. He gave me the money back for the car but the salesman who told me the truth earned my business in the future because he was the only honest one out of the bunch and thats who I bought the 2015 Jetta from.

Carbon cleaning on the 2.0, provided it's the naturally-aspirated base engine, just doesn't make any sense. It's not direct injection. Sounds like you may have a car glitch exacerbated by a shi*tty dealer.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

Quote Originally Posted by AVCon View Post
      Has anyone had any luck with getting a dealer to take a car back and get them into something else in a situation like this.
      How old are you?
      I ask because this sounds very naive.
      Dealers don't throw money away to please a customer that bought something two years ago.
      Used cars are their bread and butter profits, so they have zero incentive to do an even trade at anything close to actual value for your car as they know it's a problem car and they will have to send it to auction (wholesale value at best) to avoid having another unhappy customer.

And I know you like this dealer, but as mhjett is right- there is no reason to carbon clean a non-DI engine (this new).
      It makes me wonder what the dealer is actually doing, and why it runs fine for a few weeks afterwards.
      Maybe they are just cleaning the spark plugs.

I hate to mention this, but the past few days I've had a 2017 Corolla as a rental...with 700 miles....And I have been absolutely loving it! Very quiet and serene....and the back seat is truly roomy....

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast