Going to replace my 2016 Jetta, Heres is what I am Considering - Page 6
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
      You've had the car 19 months?
      Unfortunately, car payments go more toward the interest than the principle first.
      Rolling that much negative equity into another retail purchased car payment is bad.
      Try adding $100 or more to your monthly payment, to get the principle down faster (assuming your loan allows it).
      Right now you are a totalled crash away from doom since you would owe the difference (unless gap insurance) and have no car.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 04-03-2017 at 03:09 PM.
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You've had the car 19 months?
      Unfortunately, car payments go more toward the interest than the principle first.
      Rolling that much negative equity into another retail purchased car payment is bad.
      Try adding $100 or more to your monthly payment, to get the principle down faster (assuming your loan allows it).
      Right now you are a totalled crash away from doom since you would owe the difference (unless gap insurance) and have no car.
      I believe that he has an 8 year 0% loan.
      RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

Maybe if you did you'd be able to buy something more fun than a 2.slow Jetta.
      Quote Originally Posted by AVCon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      Maybe if you did you'd be able to buy something more fun than a 2.slow Jetta.
      I see you're in DC. Have you heard the man who lives in the presidential palace?

The guy that was born a multi-millionaire? That's the only way you're getting by comfortably in adult life communicating at a 3rd grade level

Quote Originally Posted by mittencuh View Post
      I see you're in DC. Have you heard the man who lives in the presidential palace?

Quote Originally Posted by s2kvondeutschland View Post
      Do you have gap insurance? Just point the car at a parking lot curb stop and nail the throttle.

No negative equity!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
      Quoting my own post.

Get it done.

"Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead."
      "Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead."

Is there another local mechanic you can take this car to? Yeah you'll have to pay out of pocket to get "it" fixed (whatever "it"/the issue is) but that would be significantly cheaper than taking such a huge loss on trade-in...

Quote Originally Posted by xo_vw View Post
      Is there another local mechanic you can take this car to? Yeah you'll have to pay out of pocket to get "it" fixed (whatever "it"/the issue is) but that would be significantly cheaper than taking such a huge loss on trade-in...

I took it to a local specialty VW shop and they tried a few things but couldn't figure anything out. Seemed very confused by the problem.

My dealer called me back late yesterday and said the are testing the fuel temperature sensor today.

My wife and I talked last night as to how much of a lose we are willing to take. I'm hoping to get the car back tomorrow and the frist thing I plan to do is to go right to my local Toyota dealer and see what they'll give me. I'm not crazy about a Corolla or even a Camry but if they can make something happen I'll be all over it.

I've also started the Camvap process. I talked to the local representative yesterday and he believes we have justification to pursue it.

I didn't except the Jetta to be without problems, but I did expect them to be fixed in a timely fashion. I'm a VW person at heart and everytime I go to buy a car that's my starting point. I don't know because they haven't exactly treated me well it's just my prefered brand. When I got rid of my Ridgeline in favor of going back to a car I shopped around, test drove a bunch of things, looked at different ways of purchasing and even my VW hating wife agreed that the Jetta was the best buy and best fit to our needs. I wasn't looking for fun to drive at the time, I just wanted soemthing I could hope in and go without worrying about things. I didn't buy a Civic because I felt the back seat was too small they didn't have decent deals at the time, samething with a Corolla.

If you keep going to the same dealership you're probably going to keep getting the same result. Try a different dealership.

A Camry is not exciting but is dead reliable. They are also practically giving them away since the 2018s will be out in a few months. I'm sure adrew will be here in a second extolling the virtues of a Corolla

Little bit of positive news, I received a call from VWoC executive office today saying they are now handling my case. All due to starting the Camvap claim. when asked what I'd like to see be the end result I told them I'd like a buy out and to my surprise they seemed receptive to that. They asked for a few days to figure some things out which I agreed to since they still have me in a rental. I had to get some information from my dealer for my camvap claim and when I called my dealer the person from VW I was dealing with had already been in touch with them to get that information. I'm not going to hold my breath that a buy out will actually happen but the possibility of it has me pleased. Now I except them to try to get me back in another VW with the less cost to them as they can before just taking the car free and clear. Ultimately I'd like to get away from VW but I'll hear them out.
      Last edited by AVCon; 04-04-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Little bit of positive news, I received a call from VWoC executive office today saying they are now handling my case. All due to starting the Camvap claim. when asked what I'd like to see be the end result I told them I'd like a buy out and to my surprise they seemed receptive to that. They asked for a few days to figure some things out which I agreed to since they still have me in a rental. I had to get some information from my dealer for my camvap claim and when I called my dealer the person from VW I was dealing with had already been in touch with them to get that information. I'm not going to hold my breath that a buy out will actually happen but the possibility of it has me pleased. Now I except them to try to get me back in another VW with the less cost to them as they can before just taking the car free and clear. Ultimately I'd like to get away from VW but I'll hear them out.
      If you end up in another Jetta after this, you are a fool.
      Off Topikstan CSB Thread, First Responder (c) 2013
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Good point. I look like that when I lose my place in line at the grocery store. Can't imagine what would happen to my face if I lost $64M.

Now I except them to try to get me back in another VW with the less cost to them as they can before just taking the car free and clear. Ultimately I'd like to get away from VW but I'll hear them out.
      Hopefully if you stand firm, and things go right, they will just cut you a check, but you're probably right, they'll try to make you an offer you can't refuse. (tm) If you get a check you can put it toward whatever.

I think you just got a lemon, and had an incompetent dealership service department.
      Let them eat cake...

If they can make my payments go ago thats our best options. If taking another Jetta is offered and is my only option I'd have no choice but to take it and hope for the best.

subbed for conclusion

IMO jettas are best purchased used, and you use it as a daily and a beater and drive it to the ground for 10 years + and has a value of zero at the end. I would never buy a jetta new with the way they depreciate and the initial cost of it. You can pick up used newish jettas for 10K or so. That's pretty compelling value for a fairly solid vehicle.

Things are actually happening, got my frist offer this morning.

VW offered a large amount towards trade in on a new VW, enough that it basically makes my previous loan a wash. Now this sounds all good but I have a 0% loan right now and the best they can do is 1.5%, this puts my payments up and they can't offer me the same deal I got on a car last time so it's leaving me paying another $20 to $30 a month.

I left it with them as I want the same car for the same payment or a better car for slightly more. Not jumping to take the frist offer, going to let it sit with them a few days and see what the get back to me with.

VW offered a large amount towards trade in on a new VW, enough that it basically makes my previous loan a wash. Now this sounds all good but I have a 0% loan right now and the best they can do is 1.5%, this puts my payments up and they can't offer me the same deal I got on a car last time so it's leaving me paying another $20 to $30 a month.

I left it with them as I want the same car for the same payment or a better car for slightly more. Not jumping to take the frist offer, going to let it sit with them a few days and see what the get back to me with.
      What VW are they trying to get you in? Another Jetta?

1.5% over how many years?
      Past: 94 Jetta, 89 Accord (beater), 97 Jetta GT, 91 Mazda 626 (beater), 02 Audi A4, 07 Civic (commuter), 06 BMW 330i, 12 GTI

Don't sit too long, if you can get out of your previous car and reset the clock free and clear right now, take it. 1.5% isn't much.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Don't sit too long, if you can get out of your previous car and reset the clock free and clear right now, take it. 1.5% isn't much.
      x2 that's what I'm thinking as well.

Do the math. Getting hosed on the Jetta at another dealer + cost of new car @ 0% vs Not getting hosed + cost of new car (At a discount from VW) @ 1.5%.
      Past: 94 Jetta, 89 Accord (beater), 97 Jetta GT, 91 Mazda 626 (beater), 02 Audi A4, 07 Civic (commuter), 06 BMW 330i, 12 GTI

They pumped up the trade value but another grand and gave me a much better deal to lease instead of finance. So that's what I'm going to do, just trying to decide how cheap I want to go and either get a Trendline + or a Wolfsburg. Don't know how the packages work in the US but the Trendline+ is one step from base model and the Wolfsburg is the next after the Trendline+. As usually I want the better of the 2 and my wife wants the cheaper, not sure I'm willing to give on this one tho.

Hoping to have this all buttoned up but tomorrow.

This new one is 1.4 turbo? 2.slow?
      Didn't know if vw was still peddling city (said "shihtty") cheap old models in canadastan.
      If 1.4 turbo then that's a MUCH better car.
      Probably MUCH better mpg too.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 04-07-2017 at 12:12 PM.
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

Yes, 1.4 turbo. Wouldn't even bother again with another 2.0L

Just when I thought I was getting somewhere they made an error with the lease price . It's now no better to lease than finance, actually more. Didn't get the lease offer in writing because it was over the phone and even if I did it's a difference of $4800 over the 4 year lease so i'm sure they rather lose me as customer than honor that deal anyways.

Now back to square one.

Just when I thought I was getting somewhere they made an error with the lease price . It's now no better to lease than finance, actually more. Didn't get the lease offer in writing because it was over the phone and even if I did it's a difference of $4800 over the 4 year lease so i'm sure they rather lose me as customer than honor that deal anyways.

Now back to square one.
      Just take the new 2.0 at 1.5% and an extra 20-30 a month. I guess if you can go to the 1.4 and pay a little more on top, do that, but otherwise just take the new 2.0 and wave goodbye.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast