VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Need temporary front end paint protection that won't harm paint

564 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Grasshopper 
#1 ·
The GTI got lots of stone chips on the front bumper last year when we went through “rocks and salt” on the way home from the South. I wanted to protect the front of the Tiguan this trip. I found on-line that some guys use vaseline to protect front end paint on track days. I vaselined up the front Friday night before leaving. It was goopy.

After 1600Km trip through some winter snow, wet and dry roads there was lots of crap on the vaselined front. We were interested to see how hard it would be to get it off at the spray wash. I sprayed degreaser on first. The high pressure sprayer removed the vaseline and protected the front end paint. However, after spraying down the car I noticed a very light greasy film on some external parts of the car (paint and windows). I ended up cleaning off the greasy film using a mild window cleaner (no ammonia). More extra work than I wanted.

Would I recommend using vaseline to protect front end paint - NO! 3M permanent film is not an option - had that on the GTI. While it protected the paint, it got marked up and cost $$$ . I want something temporary I can remove after each long distance trip. Hopefully I can find something else for the 1600Km trip home at the end of the month - any advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.