VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

16v engine rattle help

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  9aba16vt 
#1 ·
hey guys/gals
Recently my car started to make a loud high pitch rattling sound from around the head. it happened out of nowhere while I was driving home. The sound was only apparent when I accelerated. If I had foot off the gas, the sound was not there.
Before this happened some things I did to my car are, clean and oil air filter, change oil with 15w-50 mobile 1 synthetic. I also added some Liqui Moly Jectron Gasoline Fuel Injection Cleaner.

Some symptoms are, pinging/rattle sound from engine, rough idle/misfire. sound is not there when idle, only happens under load. When I first cold start the car there is no rattle sound, but once its warmed up a little the sounds comes when I start revving the engine.
It may be running rich now too, because I always smell like exhaust fumes when Im done troubleshooting the problem.
Car is CIS-e

Things I have done after the noise are, re-torque the knock sensor, new plugs and wires, and switched out my dist cap.
Oil still looks new on dipstick. Coolant looks good too.

I did narrow the sound down to the 3rd cylinder. When I remove the spark plug the sounds goes away.

Can anyone help me? I miss driving my car lol. Have to drive my dads civic for now haha.
thanks

See less See more
#7 ·
Interesting. Ive used injector cleaner many times before, and never had this issue. But this time I tried a different brand. I usually add Lucas Injector Cleaner every couple months, but this time tried the LiquiMoly brand.
I will still check the injectors as well then. Thank you

#9 ·
Today I also messed with the distributor position. Originally it was turned almost fully clockwise. Today i turned it counter clockwise so it sits in the middle and the sound seems to go away, but the car runs like crap. So I also messed around with the air/fuel mixture screw and idle screw, but couldn't get it to run properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.