VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

A2, MKII second gear

826 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Muldermutt 
#1 ·
OK,, this is about my 1992 Jetta Automatic transmission second gear.

It slips when hot. Just second gear. I just back off the throttle and it will shift in
to third or back into first. Been doing this for a long time. I'm wondering if this is ever
going to fail completely, and if its going to be catastrophic, leaving me on the side of the road?

Anyone have this problem, and what was the final outcome?

ERIC

#2 · (Edited)
I will take a shot at this: in the Bentley manuals, there is an adjustment that can be performed on these trans for the 2nd gear brake band. Seems very straightforward and is performed externally with minimal tools.

In addition to THAT, I would also buy a new trans pan gasket and drop that once and swap out that amount of atf (dexron). While the pan is off, pull the little screen (these trans do not utilize a replaceable filter like later stuff) and carefull/diligently clean the screen with gasoline or carb cleaner or even hot water and soap. Reinstall the little screen.

I would then drive the car a few miles and get it good and warm...bring it back, and drop the pan and AGAIN add the new fluid. That way, most of the fluid will be new-ish. I think it takes about 3 quarts for a pan-drop.

I am more than willing to bet you have NEVER performed the above maintenance.....right? There will be a little bash plate that you have to remove to pull the pan.

I had one of these 010's in a diesel Jetta that was still working fine at 435,000 miles when the engine needed a rebuild. However, I had religiously pulled the pan and cleaned the screen every 5,000 miles since I acquired the car at 52,000 miles.

EDIT: when you perform that maintenance, also drain the differential and renew the gear lube in the back of the trans. Yes, these have gear lube back there. Eventually, your seal between the trans and diff. will fail and it will be "game-over" for this form of propulsion. You will have to grow a pair and swap to manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.