VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Rune's Golf R wagon build

36K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  rallyedude 
#1 ·
So started on the R wagon project . Thought I was gonna be the first but someone beat me to the punch ....
Bought a smashed R a year ago , car was fixable but dollar wise was t worth it . Plus I don't want to do a build on a bent frame . Did some maintenance on the set up , timing belt , rollers , water pump ( metal not the detachable vw one that grenades the motor !) Changed the hpfp follower . This set up will be stock to start . I'll do stage 1 on it for now .

Bought a high mileage silver 2.5 auto with panoroof last year

Started R teardown last few days .

See less See more
#6 ·
Stayed a bit late after work . Pulled out subframes . Gotta say mk6 R teardown has to be one of the toughest cars for full teardown. I'm sure I've got near 20hrs on dismantling. Wagon dismantle won't start for a few weeks .

#7 ·
Mk6 wiring and hvac . I think vw actually laid harness then installed firewall . I heated up the edges of firewall then open up the gap a bit after removing firewall bolt to create room for harness to pass through .

Not much left inside the shell

That's it for now til the wagon comes apart . Gotta switch gears , finish up other projects . Make room then my wagon takes up residency in the shop . It's gonna be fun !

#9 ·
Bought this to drive when I start the wagon build . Springtime Rush has hit , which is followed by westfalia maintenance season. But by June time should free up a bit . This of course will have a build as well this winter . But for this year I'll rock the 1.0L with 49hp of fury!!!!

#14 ·
Well...... not entirely . The Lupo, The ute build ( now sold !) plus a couple A3's have sapped time away from this build. Oh and my buddy's W8 auto to TDi manual swap going on too. It will restart as I have time. I think I have a bit of car A.D.D.
I happen to have a second smyth ute kit as well, so I might build that as well. Arrghh , not enough time!

#16 ·
HAHAHHA , NO! Smyth UTE build #2 took precedence. Its at paint , engine is on my scissor lift getting built. Car A.D.D. as mentioned. It will get done. Although I keep looking at Mobile.de at 4Motions to import to cut.....

#18 ·
No updates. Building TSI/FSI engines these days it seems. From what I see floor doesn't need to be switched. I ordered center driveshaft hanger bracket to weld in . That seems like the only welding needed.

#21 ·
Something custom . Center exhaust won't really work unless you chop out spare tire well. That's not happening.

I'm hashing out an alternative idea on this build . I'm going through details right now. Definitely still on my list

#26 ·
Got a used billy boat exhaust from a mk6 R . Called billy boat today for a wagon rear muffler from them . 700usd!!! Ouch . Colin at techtonics tuning to the rescue . He's building a rear magnaflow set up for half the $$ .
I could have put together a rear can myself . But it is nice to have something jigged up nicely for the job .

#27 ·
And thanks to 20vat4 for his help on small details . I'm sure I could have figured it out . But sure easier to bounce it off someone who's done it before .

#28 ·
Wrapped my headliner . Pretty good for my first headliner . My girlfriend helped out on it . I had enough leftover to do my Ute headliner. Did that one on my own . No bueno . I'll be ordering more and she'll be helping on that one.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.