VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Obin, Crispyfritter, a rogue mountain biker, and a salvage title Porsche.

18K views 169 replies 59 participants last post by  Crispyfritter 
#1 ·
On Sunday, I'll be flying out to Jacksonville, FL. If all goes well, I'll meet the legenday Obin Robinson (to whom I've already sent a bunch of money), and drive it in less than 22 hours back home to SW KS.

After reading of Obin's unfortunate encounter with a mountain biker, I swooped in like a vulture to completely take advantage (to be fair, he contacted me). I know that my dad was looking for a convertible that would fit in his trailer, and felt like this car would fit the bill. After a couple of phone calls, we inked the deal. After 2 failed attempts at getting the car shipped (the auto transport industry is a joke, but that's another thread altogether), I decided it would simply work better if I flew out and drove it home.

With the crazy attention to detail and nearly obsessive maintenance that this car has had, I figured this would be an excellent first step into Porsche ownership for my dad.

So, the countdown begins, and I'll post updates from the trip on IG in real time. Follow me at houseofpaynec if you're into that crap.

Here's the car.

And here's the damage:

I'm way pumped for the drive, and you should also be pumped for me. :laugh:

Chris

See less See more
#10 ·
It wasn't totaled for that much damage, was it?

Because if it was...man, I better not sink $0.00000001 more into my bucket. (Oh wait, I have a couple boxes of parts sitting in the basement waiting to be installed...:facepalm:)

Nice pickup, Chris. That should serve your father quite well for quite a long time.

#13 ·
It wasn't totaled for that much damage, was it?

Nice pickup, Chris. That should serve your father quite well for quite a long time.
I hope so. With the recent maintenance performed, it should be solid for another 60k or so, not including oil changes, of course.

Nice! Salvage title is the way to go haha...
I see what you did there. I'm pretty sure its just you, Vad, Me and Chris V who would willingly do that on this forum.

X2

Congrats to you Dad!
Thanks! He just turned 60, so I figured I'd get him into Porsches. :laugh:

Chris

#23 ·
Your route back home better take you straight up 95 pretty much past my front yard, to I26 directly to Asheville, where you better spend plenty of time on some fun stuff through West NC and East TN before you keep on through to presumably Arkansas, Missouri and then to wherever in SW Kansas.

Actually, your route back home better take you the 90 or so minutes north to Savannah and then I don't give a **** how you get home after that. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

#27 ·
Actually, your route back home better take you the 90 or so minutes north to Savannah and then I don't give a **** how you get home after that. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I wish. My brother lives there. Beautiful area.

Drive it to NHRA in Gainsville on Sunday :thumbup:
I'd love to, but I've got to work on Sunday.

I've been trying to figure out who you were on Instagram and how you knew me. :laugh:
I'm not IG famous yet. :laugh:

I could also be that I'm allergic to resale. I do have a Frontier, after all.
Ha! I think I have that problem too.

Chris

#34 · (Edited)
On Sunday, I'll be flying out to Jacksonville, FL. If all goes well, I'll meet the legenday Obin Robinson (to whom I've already sent a bunch of money), and drive it in less than 22 hours back home to SW KS.

After reading of Obin's unfortunate encounter with a mountain biker, I swooped in like a vulture to completely take advantage (to be fair, he contacted me). I know that my dad was looking for a convertible that would fit in his trailer, and felt like this car would fit the bill. After a couple of phone calls, we inked the deal. After 2 failed attempts at getting the car shipped (the auto transport industry is a joke, but that's another thread altogether), I decided it would simply work better if I flew out and drove it home.

With the crazy attention to detail and nearly obsessive maintenance that this car has had, I figured this would be an excellent first step into Porsche ownership for my dad.

So, the countdown begins, and I'll post updates from the trip on IG in real time. Follow me at houseofpaynec if you're into that crap.
I see a car with paint that doesn't shine and yellowed out headlights, I wouldn't exactly call that 'crazy attention to detail'

Who the hell is obin?

#43 ·
I can't believe they totaled it on that damage. Seems like the adjuster just wanted to pick up an inexpensive well maintained P-car.

#51 ·
That was our theory as well. I'm just excited that the car is going to someone who can appreciate it rather than just run it into the ground. This was my daily driver since November of 2009 and I loved every moment of it. I kind of wish I could have driven it out to it's new home but my work schedule precludes that.

obin :wave::beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.