Ed China is leaving Wheeler Dealer
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Ed China is leaving Wheeler Dealer

Ed said in his video farewell that Velocity Network thought there was too much "Shop time" in the show and not enough product placement.

He quit.

Quote Originally Posted by RockWgn View Post
      Ed said in his video farewell that Velocity Network thought there was too much "Shop time" in the show and not enough product placement.

He quit.

WTF? I hope he resurfaces with a similar show somewhere else.

Good on Ed for quitting, but damn does that hurt. Mike's a good dude, but Ed made the show.

It's one of about 4 shows I watch on a regular basis and that was the appeal of the show, the shop time and technicality.

Oh well, I understand where the producers are coming from too.

He quit.
      Good for him. Screw that clickbait-esque channel. I have not seen the show in some time since I don't feel like paying for cable but I always thought there was not enough shop time.
      15 GTI SE 6MT DBP 4 Door - Individual Driving Mode - Carbon Exhaust Buildup Mod - 78%N/21%O/1%Various Intake - Rear Cosco Booster Seat - Bridgestone All Seasons - Hair Ties/Bobby Pin Collector
      96 XJ Mall Cruiser - 0" Lift - 29" Goodyears on 15" Alloys - Lemon Air Refresher

Yeah, I saw this on FB earlier. It's too bad that he's leaving but I'm glad he did stand up to the producers. The shop time is what I watched it for and the lack of "Here is XYZ product that you could install to gain a billion horsepower". (Looking at you any car show on Spike).

He did say he'll do some Youtube stuff and maybe he'll get a show down the road.

*Edd*

Yeah, that sucks.
      We do not need another Gas Monkey/Fantom Works/Spike TV type of show though, so good for him for making a stand.

He quit.
      So in its place we get, what? More screen time for the poor tortured souls that are uncomfortable on-camera, selling cars to Mike during obviously forced and contrived "negotiations"? Sweet.

I'm sure the producers have done their research on this matter, but it doesn't give me much reason to continue watching
      - A bunch of old, tough, unbreakable German iron
      - One temperamental, stubborn, fragile Italian thing
      - One Swedish memoriam

Good on Edd. I agree, the shop time is what made the show for me. The depth of Ed's knowledge and ability to work on just about anything was always interesting. Typically, I'd fast forward Mike's purchase segment in the beginning and start watching when the rolled up to the garage.

He also has some awesome t-shirts.
      Last edited by DonL; 03-21-2017 at 02:50 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

Damn im gonna miss Edd China. As a lot of others have said, the shop time made the show great. Edd always did a fantastic job explaining things in detail. I wish him the best in his future endeavors

Edit: now that i know a little more about it, i have to say im glad Edd is not willing to sellout on us. It shows he is as genuine of a person in real life as he is on screen. Good for him. Im sad it has to end this way.
      Last edited by nissan sellout; 03-22-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Super bummed about this. I've been watching this show since the start, and Edd was by far the best part of it! Apparently they are the most popular Car show on TV right now, so I'm sure he will land on his feet.
      Thru My Eyes: Nicholas James Photography | Instagram

Contact me for photos shoots in the Los Angeles/OC area.

P A L E S T A R

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Good on Ed. I agree, the shop time is what made the show for me. The depth of Ed's knowledge and ability to work on just about anything was always interesting. Typically, I'd fast forward Mike's purchase segment in the beginning and start watching when the rolled up to the garage.

He also has some awesome t-shirts.
      This was my routine.

I'd love to see just an Edd show, where he has a garage and regular folks bring in their obscure cars to repair.

He quit.
      The Last Boy Scout. Really the last man of honor. They did not get the point of the show...that anyone can keep a car on the road if they know what to look for and how to do it. Because of him I've fixed broken odometers, dyed seats, bought a parts car for its wheels and interior*, set floats, tested relays, spot fixed paint, installed a dashboard, reset window trim, adjusted windows, rebuilt pumps, wired headlights..it's endless.

In every installment they would show a tip or two or three that would point out a novel way to approach a problem that you could file away. Yes they probably fixed more than they showed, and yes, the money made part may not have always squared with the truth...it's a show...but once you watched enough of their shows Edd's way of problem solving became your way of thinking about your car. There's not enough of that nowadays. It was a reality show that made it easier to deal with the reality of old car ownership. It will be missed.

*When I bought my Six the last thing I wanted to do was buy a second car for parts, I did not have room. I did get parts off a friend's car, I owe him for that. I wish I had gotten more. Now with a 944 turbo...no hesitation. Main reason I could buy a turbo is so many cheap regular 944s are out there and you can take everything from one and move it to the other. This is a way of thinking I never had before that show...think strategically about your goals and keep them realistic. Don't overrestore. Don't ignore the necessary.
      Touareg Hybrids are pretty nice, and the warm fuzzies I felt while driving the hybrid was actually the fingers of all of the German tax payers trying to reach into my wallet to get their money back. (Brendan@bwalkauto)

Quote Originally Posted by Wellington P Funk View Post
      Simpleton? I think you've both got me mixed up with someone else.

Thanks a lot 'murica
      SCHNELL ENGINEERING · BLOG · STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS

Ed said in his video...

said in his video...

in his video...

his video...

video...
      And you didn't think to post it?

Last edited by @McMike; 03-21-2017 at 03:11 PM.

=/ Bah. My favorite car show is losing my favorite part and favorite presenter. Good on Edd for sticking to his spanners.

Quote Originally Posted by rawk View Post
      super bummed about this. I've been watching this show since the start, and edd was by far the best part of it! Apparently they are the most popular car show on tv right now, so i'm sure he will land on his feet.
      arrrggghhh!!!!!

Noooooooo!!!!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

Quote Originally Posted by fbobberts View Post
      The Last Boy Scout. Really the last man of honor. They did not get the point of the show...that anyone can keep a car on the road if they know what to look for and how to do it. Because of him I've fixed broken odometers, dyed seats, bought a parts car for its wheels and interior*, set floats, tested relays, spot fixed paint, installed a dashboard, reset window trim, adjusted windows, rebuilt pumps, wired headlights..it's endless.
      Seriously. I would watch the segments with Edd and go "oh that's an easier way to go about doing X, Y, and Z."
      Global Time Attack: Every second counts.
      Support your local punk & hardcore scene.
      Quote Originally Posted by woofsburger View Post
      It's reassuring to know that when I finally hit the 98th percentile of US individual income, that I may then buy my dream car - a Toyota Avalon.

Dang, good for you Edd.

Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      And you didn't think to post it?
      Thank you!

And... I'm done with that show. Edd was the best part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by saron81 View Post
      *Edd*

Yeah, that sucks.
      We do not need another Gas Monkey/Fantom Works/Spike TV type of show though, so good for him for making a stand.

Fantom works is actually one of my favorite of all the cars shows along with Bitch n Rides, Wheeler Dealers, Grave Yard Cars and CCC.

Maybe China and AK can work together
      DUB CULT l ESAD l S6 V8 6speed swapped B5 A4 l PVW Nov 2016
      #hardlinesbyswoops #swoopsbuilt IG mr__pq

I dont know why producers continue to ruin tv shows of all kinds, not just this one.

They had a way they did the show. It got popular because of it. Popular enough that they wanted to bring a US version to Velocity. It got popular for a reason, why do they feel they need to change it now? It rarely works and makes a show better.

I've seen it coming though. The later US versions have been much more about the buy/sale/test drive then they have been about the work on the car, but I thought they were reaching an OK balance. Even less wrenching will just destroy what the show mainly was, the refurbishment of older cars.

Ugh. That was the only show of the genre I could watch. All the rest are crap with way, way too much contrived B.S.

There goes the best car show on TV. I've watched some of the episodes several times. It's one of the only shows that's actually educational, and we owe that to Edd. The guy can fix anything, and does a great job of explaining what he's doing. I hope to see him in another show soon.

Its also interesting that Edd has joined Aaron Kaufman in leaving a popular show, more than likely down to the way the production and substance of the show is and not meshing with what got them started with it in the first place.

Edd will do great coming out of this I'm sure. His talent comes far and few between.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast