Crazy parts price - Audi front plate bracket...are you kidding me!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Crazy parts price - Audi front plate bracket...are you kidding me!

This AM, I was driving to work and hit some ice at a stop sign and slid into the car in front of me at extremely low speed with my 2015 A4. Probably not much more than 2-3 MPH. Fortunately, the only damage was that the plastic front plate bracket on my car was cracked. MA requires front plates. I was expecting it to cost around $30 or so. Called dealership and was quoted $215 for replacement!!!! (part 8k0807285e3FZ) Are they completely out of their minds? It's a piece of molded plastic that holds a license plate. Not that much better on the web for OEM around $150 or so and aftermarket is still in the $70 range. This is the part - number 9 on schematic.

RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

It's zee Germans. Vhat did you exchpect? These things are made from the highest quality petroleum derivatives lace with German forest fairy dust...
      Family Garage:
      2016 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD - mine
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - for the kids to learn on and drive
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette <-- Father in Law's classic. We're just the caretaker/owners

Wow. I just got that same part recently gratis from the dealer because my car didn't have one (just bought it from them in Dec.). I was surprised when they put up a bit of a fuss trying to supply me with one all over a bit of plastic. Now I know why. Gosh I hope I don't break anything on my A6.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Parts for $50,000 cars are expensive. I don't know why that's a shock to people.

As an Audi parts dept employee... I wish I could justify it. I get this reaction from customers every day since a lot are new to the area and never needed a front tag bracket in the state they moved here from.

It's also not even the worst. Some of the old Q7 tag brackets are ~$500.

All I can do is apologize and explain that the manufacturer sets the price and that it isn't up to me, because I hear it several times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by saron81 View Post
      Parts for $50,000 cars are expensive. I don't know why that's a shock to people.
      Yeah, but then I order a front tag bracket for a $50,000 BMW that someone traded in and it's $35. Some expensive stuff makes sense, but as an Audi parts monkey, the front tag brackets are mostly ridiculous.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

I am not surprised... It is an Audi...
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Wow now THAT's ridiculous.

Do you really think the cost for a license plate frame for a million dollar car costs $3000 to produce? You don't understand basic.

Should a light bulb for a $4 million dollar house cost $780?

There is no reason for a relatively generic part, such as this, to cost that much. It serves little function and is likely another case of complicating without need.

OP, check if there's a similar non-Audi part (VW or SEAT) that works, so as to avoid paying an Audi tax.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenSpoon View Post
      Do you really think the cost for a license plate frame for a million dollar car costs $3000 to produce? You don't understand basic.

Should a light bulb for a $4 million dollar house cost $780?
      Basic what? Basic English?
      To produce, probably not. To buy... maybe.
      Do you really think a license plate bracket for a Veyron is only $215?

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodson View Post
      There is no reason for a relatively generic part, such as this, to cost that much. It serves little function and is likely another case of complicating without need.

OP, check if there's a similar non-Audi part (VW or SEAT) that works, so as to avoid paying an Audi tax.
      It's obviously not very generic, or the OP wouldn't be stuck buying the expensive one. I don't disagree that it's expensive, but don't understand people's shock when a part (any part) of their German luxury car is more expensive to replace than it is on a base model Mirage.
      Last edited by saron81; 03-23-2017 at 10:53 AM.

I didn't realize that $70 was expensive for a part on a German sedan? Am I the only one who thinks this?

Why do you need the frame? You have the screw holes there? Use rubber washers between the bumper and the plate along with longer screws, attach the damn thing, done. Do you have to have a frame? Get a plastic one from Pep Boys for $10

But you're right, that kind of price for a license plate mount is obscene. There's got to be another answer...

Go onto Audizine or the classifieds here and put a want ad. About 90% of the people on AZ pull their grills and plate holders to remove the front plate. I'm sure there are a ton lying around garages where people would be happy to send it to you for $40 shipped.

Also, I hope you're not buying part number 9 as that is for a 2012 or older A4.

Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      I am not surprised... It is an Audi...
      Yep, not in the least bit surprised. A couple weeks ago I was looking up the price to replace the piece of the trunk floor that goes over the spare tire in my Avant. $360, for a carpet covered piece of particle board.

Well my Volvo dealership wanted $400 for a battery so yeah...

It's the small things that cost the most at dealerships, maybe as a way to lessen to cost of bigger jobs so you're not paying tens of thousands for a major job. I mean like the $500 bracket for the Q7, that same pricing logic wouldn't translate into paying $2500 for a brake service would it?
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Quote Originally Posted by .:RDriver View Post
      Also, I hope you're not buying part number 9 as that is for a 2012 or older A4.
      Schematic used for illustration purposes. The part number was provided by dealership using VIN lookup of my 2015 A4. But thanks for looking out for me.

Last edited by BostonB6; 03-23-2017 at 11:12 AM.
      RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Damn. I had to buy the same part for my Focus since I bought it in Indiana which doesn't have front plates. Cost was $62 which is still kind of crazy, but I guess I'm thankful it wasn't worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHamster View Post
      Imagine the B4 Passat as the guinea pig/red headed step child that everyone hates.

Quote Originally Posted by 1.8tCrayon View Post
      Can't - I am missing pieces.

Probably will go with a universal plate holder and McGyver it 'cause you know it's going to get broken again for one reason or another.
      RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

what does a "no front-plate" ticket run in your state? may be a risk/reward thing by not bothering with it...

i mean if x-tickets within x-amount of time =/= said front plate bracket..... isn't that the ol'TCL euphemism ... "PROFIT"

(i run no front plate in Ohio and usually only get one every 6-7 years... but thats usually after being pulled over for something else, where the no plate ticket is actually more profitable than the primary offense... so roll the dice and take my chances.)
      Last edited by ohiodub_99.5; 03-23-2017 at 11:23 AM.
      /| OMGHAI |\

$215 for what 2 zipties can accomplish equally as well. Madness.

Another situation where a 3D printer would come in handy.
      Karl · '97 Golf VR6

Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      Can't - I am missing pieces.

Probably will go with a universal plate holder and McGyver it 'cause you know it's going to get broken again for one reason or another.
      You will need to do some fancy Dremel work around the edges to account for the horizontal bars that protrude out.

There's also Ebay..
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/nn60881-Audi...5XrNQa&vxp=mtr

Or salvage..
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Blog Entries
      I just bought a replacement ignition coil cover, which is also plastic, and probably a bit bigger than the plate cover in the OP. It's also on a bit of an uncommon engine. The cost from ECS for a genuine replacement was like $70. Not super cheap, but much better than what Audi is charging for an equally as simple part.

Here is a used plate bracket for $75

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2016-Au...ZW3MLX&vxp=mtr

Other brands have expensive parts too....
      Friend had an older Cadillac SLS, $ 1200 for a single front strut

2016 Yukon Denali mirror glass $ 260.
      2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      past: '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro
      '85 VW GTI , 17 yrs and 280k miles, rusted away

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast