Allroad Fixer - Has Potential?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Allroad Fixer - Has Potential?

My wife has always liked the original Allroad and still comments whenever we see a nice one.
      I'm terrified of a potential money pit.
      I brought up the idea of buying one and going through all the mechanical systems in a previous thread. The idea was to fix any potential issues hoping to have a reliable car for a few years. That was shot down.

Yet I still look..

This popped up locally today for $1500 obo:

2002 Audi Allroad Quattro
      137k mi well maintained mechanically with receipts:
      Recent new brakes, rotors, sensors, valve gaskets, tbelt, front end tie rods, idler arms,etc
      $500 ecu upgrade
      Michelin 90k rated tires with 70% left
      Has minor front end damage from recent deer impact (see pic) no engine damage and car was running perfectly.

Doesn't look to bad. Hood, fender, head light. Maybe a little repair to the core support.
      Nice maintenance history. Seems like it could be a deal.

Am I way off base on what the body repairs entail?
      Are any of the parts ridiculously expensive?
      Should I run far away?

a tuned (that's the ecu "upgrade" i assume) bi-turbo w/air suspension with almost 150k miles? what could possibly go wrong.

as for the damage, it shouldn't be too bad. headlight might be spendy but its a DIY. you're just lucky that license plate bracket didn't get damaged
      Last edited by MN Mongo; 03-24-2017 at 09:37 AM.

What's your tolerance/limit for it being a money pit?

Using my M3 as an example, I have no ragrets when it comes to the work and money I've put into it so far. It's been called a turd (granted, I asked for opinions) and TFL would have my head if they knew I just dropped ~$1,200 on a rusty salvage title BMW w/ over 200,000 miles on it.

But, on the other hand, I have a perfectly-functioning vehicle that brings me happiness and has far more performance that I've ever had in a car, performance that is quite frankly unmatched by most cars where the total buy-in is less than $5,000. It's a purely subjective metric that doesn't work for everyone, and I understand when someone else doesn't 'get it'.

On the subject of the Allroad - I'm not the biggest fan of the C5 and it wouldn’t bring me that much pleasure to own/fix one up, but if it makes you and your wife happy, and you can afford the time/space/money, I see no reason why you shouldn’t go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      What's your tolerance/limit for it being a money pit?

Using my M3 as an example, I have no ragrets when it comes to the work and money I've put into it so far. It's been called a turd (granted, I asked for opinions) and TFL would have my head if they knew I just dropped ~$1,200 on a rusty salvage title BMW w/ over 200,000 miles on it.

But, on the other hand, I have a perfectly-functioning vehicle that brings me happiness and has far more performance that I've ever had in a car, performance that is quite frankly unmatched by most cars where the total buy-in is less than $5,000. It's a purely subjective metric that doesn't work for everyone, and I understand when someone else doesn't 'get it'.

On the subject of the Allroad - I'm not the biggest fan of the C5 and it wouldn’t bring me that much pleasure to own/fix one up, but if it makes you and your wife happy, and you can afford the time/space/money, I see no reason why you shouldn’t go for it.
      LOL

One of these threads pops up every 6-9 months and the answer is always, "NO!" Unless you have a wad of cash and will do all the repairs/maintenance yourself, then the answer is still, "NO!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
      One of these threads pops up every 6-9 months and the answer is always, "NO!" Unless you have a wad of cash and will do all the repairs/maintenance yourself, then the answer is still, "NO!"
      I swear a TCLer posted a thread like this recently and learned the hard way that a cheap Allroad is not cheap.

Oh and

Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Quote Originally Posted by MN Mongo View Post
      a tuned (that's the ecu "upgrade" i assume) bi-turbo w/air suspension with almost 150k miles? what could possibly go wrong.

as for the damage, it shouldn't be too bad. headlight might be spendy but its a DIY. you're just lucky that license plate bracket didn't get damaged
      You doing the repairs yourself? If not, just walk away. An auto body shop is going to charge you more than the car is worth. Just checked and all your major parts are available on e-bay.

used headlight $225 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3224365...&ul_noapp=true
      fender $178 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3224365...&ul_noapp=true
      hood $250 https://www.wolfautoparts.com/1998-1...FZ2CswodtBcMyg

But it seems to me that the $1,500 asking price is a bit high considering the damage. In the end you may end up with a car worth less than purchase price plus repairs.
      RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
      i think the answer is always "maybe". i'm assuming this is a manual transmission, as that is the only reason to go with the 2.7. and with that mileage, you can be assured that those K03s will become police sirens very soon, which gives you a great reason to upgrade to K04s/stage III.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      You doing the repairs yourself? If not, just walk away. An auto body shop is going to charge you more than the car is worth. Just checked and all your major parts are available on e-bay.

But it seems to me that the $1,500 asking price is a bit high considering the damage. In the end you may end up with a car worth less than purchase price plus repairs.
      I like these cars. But I wouldn't do $1500. I'd go as high as $800. When you've got it fixed, you'll have a nice driving car for the money, but they will require some attention.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post

I'd be doing the repairs myself.

Buy for $1k and spend $1k in body repairs at above prices, plus shipping and hidden stuff.

Assuming maintenance is current that seems reasonable.

If you really want an Allroad then this wouldn't be a bad project, just see if you can negotiate a bit off the price. New headlight, PDR the hood and fender which should get it pretty darn close to perfect without having to sacrifice the original paint, new grill, and you should be good to go. I'd also replace the other headlight or at least the lens to even things out.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Only if you want to live up to your name.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Only if you want to live up to your name.

Blog Entries
      These are great cars--my mom had an 04 Allroad. I loved driving that car. And I liked the air suspension, which incidentally is the largest Achilles heal for these cars. Ours broke several times and even the dealer told us to never mess the settings on the car. So I would say go for it, but make sure you have a plan for the suspension, as they like to break and they aren't cheap to fix if you stick with the air suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post

Buy for $1k and spend $1k in body repairs at above prices, plus shipping and hidden stuff.

That's pretty reasonable and should be fine as long as you do the work like you stated. Another thing to think about is the transmission or more like is it an automatic. If it is it likely hasn't had the fluid changed, ever, so budget ~$150 for a fluid change and filter. Keep in mind that the torque converter seal on this generation of Tiptronic have known to go bad and if that happens it's time for a rebuild or swap to a manual. Mine has 223k miles and still going so it's not a foregone conclusion just be aware.

Like many German cars of that period it's great when it works just be prepared when it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      That's pretty reasonable and should be fine as long as you do the work like you stated. Another thing to think about is the transmission or more like is it an automatic. If it is it likely hasn't had the fluid changed, ever, so budget ~$150 for a fluid change and filter. Keep in mind that the torque converter seal on this generation of Tiptronic have known to go bad and if that happens it's time for a rebuild or swap to a manual. Mine has 223k miles and still going so it's not a foregone conclusion just be aware.

Like many German cars of that period it's great when it works just be prepared when it doesn't.
      Auto - Will keep that in mind.

My thinking is if I get this going for a couple grand she can try it out for a year or two.

If she loves it great, we either keep this one going or find a super mint example as a keeper.

If the love affair dwindles we sell it for what we are into it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      These are great cars--my mom had an 04 Allroad. I loved driving that car. And I liked the air suspension, which incidentally is the largest Achilles heal for these cars. Ours broke several times and even the dealer told us to never mess the settings on the car. So I would say go for it, but make sure you have a plan for the suspension, as they like to break and they aren't cheap to fix if you stick with the air suspension.
      Isn't there an aftermarket replacement made mostly of metal for slightly more, maybe even less?

I am in the same boat, wife and I love them but know that they can be a pain.
      2010 CDN A3 2.0Tq
      2004 USA VW BMP GLI

Quote Originally Posted by Cajetan View Post
      Isn't there an aftermarket replacement made mostly of metal for slightly more, maybe even less?

I am in the same boat, wife and I love them but know that they can be a pain.
      There is Arnott replacement air bags that many people (including me) use when there is a leak. They have a good warranty if you buy direct and their quality has gotten better. If air isn't in the cards anymore many people either convert to standard A6 suspension (steering knuckle, control arms, springs, and shocks) or there are a few custom coilover swaps that have worked (Arnott has one but it's not the best).

What are the values looking like on the A4 Allroad released a few years ago? it's likely the same size as the older A6 but much newer and with fewer headaches. Obviously we aren't talking anywhere in the sub 10k range but if you're thinking about this project as a test to see if your wife likes it and then go find a mint one why not look at the newer and improved alternative?
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Prior Vehicles: MkIV GLI - e46 330ci

I owned an '05. I bought it off Audi lease and fully factory maintained. I loved it...when it worked. It spent a decent amount of time in the shop and the extended warranty, back when you could get one for the allroad, more than paid for itself.

I miss it and would not mind having another but I need to have a decent cushion in the ole account before I sign up for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      What are the values looking like on the A4 Allroad released a few years ago? it's likely the same size as the older A6 but much newer and with fewer headaches. Obviously we aren't talking anywhere in the sub 10k range but if you're thinking about this project as a test to see if your wife likes it and then go find a mint one why not look at the newer and improved alternative?
      This could be an option but it is quite a bit smaller than the A6 version. Also, the prices on the early A4's (2013) are still around $25k so not really that big of a bargain in my opinion. I also wouldn't call them improved over the A6. They are smaller, only come in a 2.0T, weren't raised up all that much, and only come in an auto. Granted they are newer and likely more reliable but will cost about the same or more if something does go wrong.

If you wanted the newer version of the A6 allroad in the US try to find a C6 wagon. They are hard to find but came in either the 3.2 or 3.0T but don't have any of the allroad goodies. I think they run in the low $30k range though.

According to www.car-part.com there is a junkyard like 150 miles roughly from you that is parting one out maybe can make a deal with them and fix it pretty cheaply and just beat the quattro out of it!
      Quote Originally Posted by 04_GLI_ View Post
      Yeah still drove it home bout 60 miles. Didn't know it was a broken timming belt, drove fine just made a lil noise.

Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post

that doesnt seem like a bad plan

being able to DIY (tools, space, time, etc) opens up a lot of possibilities for money pit cars like this thing..

Quote Originally Posted by MN Mongo View Post
      i think the answer is always "maybe". i'm assuming this is a manual transmission, as that is the only reason to go with the 2.7. and with that mileage, you can be assured that those K03s will become police sirens very soon, which gives you a great reason to upgrade to K04s/stage III.
      then do that ^ during your first engine out service

i think as long as youre comfortable putting money into it knowing itll likely forever be worth <$2000, i say go for it

My old man had one of these. AWESOME awesome car when everything worked. The down side is that never will everything work.

The dot-matrix cluster thing burnt out, but not completely, so it always showed distorted icons and you couldn't tell what it was actually trying to show. The valve covers dripped oil out of the back corners up against the firewall, which landed onto the exhaust. Just enough to produce a smell to make you sick. The air bags always leaked. Just slow enough that it would air out overnight, so it would take a few minutes before you were at drive height in the morning. I guess that's a positive if you like to let the car warm up for several minutes? Ah, then there was the typical Audi always-chasing-a-new-CEL thing. A sensor would fail, he'd replace it, then something else unrelated would fail weeks later.

If you are aware of all those things, and comfortable with chasing that dream, then absolutely go for it. I LOVED riding in that car. It was comfy, powerful, plenty of features/creature comforts, good lighting, lots of adjustabilty, and interior space. It was like a big, boaty power wagon. It was great, save for all its faults.

If it were me, I'd do as others have stated and not pay $1500. Under a grand, to be sure. And I would add in the cost/time of converting the suspension to a coil-spring type, or replacing all the airbags if that's even an option. Note that the OEM bags had an integrated shock absorber with a height-controlled variable damping rate. As the car lowered, the shock damper rate was designed to increase, to compensate for the squishier bags. I would also factor in the cost of rebuilding/replacing the turbos, and decide if it would be in my best interest to upgrade them at that time. And all the ancillary "while-you're-in-there" work that goes along with that (i.e.-timing belt/chains, water pump, thermostat, head gaskets, etc.). And of course add in the cost of the damage repairs, and any other items you may find when you test drive the car. After all that, see what the total is. Decide if THAT is how much you want to pay for the car; because that's the actual cost. Hope that helps at all.
      Last edited by Rob Cote; 03-24-2017 at 01:30 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hudsone View Post
      No one knows what and where I have to go to them?

Update to wrap this up.

Car sold within a few hours. Not to me.

I saw what had to be this car on the road last weekend. Same color with black hood and fender.

Someone got right after it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast