TCL Darling Acquired: E39 M5 - Page 6
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
      Whoa, it's like we've gone thru the same list of stuff for our M-cars: shifter (I just replaced the knob on mine, but I too went from wood to leather), LED's, radio (I, too damaged/replaced my radio antenna cable), and I'm about to embark on a trunk swap (as soon as it's painted)

All I need is a V8, and you need is a salvage title and some rust, and we're like brothers

Car looks good, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Whoa, it's like we've gone thru the same list of stuff for our M-cars: shifter (I just replaced the knob on mine, but I too went from wood to leather), LED's, radio (I, too damaged/replaced my radio antenna cable), and I'm about to embark on a trunk swap (as soon as it's painted)

All I need is a V8, and you need is a salvage title and some rust, and we're like brothers

Car looks good, btw!
      I imagine the upgrade list is quite common.

Say, you have an E36 M3, I have an E36 M3 wing...

Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Say, you have an E36 M3, I have an E36 M3 wing...
      I've already got that covered, x2. My replacement trunk has the same wing

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      I've already got that covered, x2. My replacement trunk has the same wing

It looks like an M5 now

Lots of progress over the past month.

The splash guards/front fender liners were broken and OEM ones are close to $300 a pop. Nope, not for something like this. So I turned to eBay and $88 and 2 weeks later, this sturdy package arrived from Serbia.

Despite the shoddy packaging, no damage to these flexible parts.

Dropped off the car to get the trunk lid and front bumper cover painted. The plan was to respray the existing bumper cover but the shop wouldn't sand the paint off given the crack, fearing it would just propagate.

I also realized this wasn't an OEM part despite what the PO mentioned, and since the shop offered to buy me an OEM one at cost, figured I'd do the right thing. While it was off, I took a closer look at the Dinan CAI setup with the the heat shield and water baffles.

Not sure what I was expecting and I guess it doesn't need to be fancy, but the whole riveted steel metal looked wonky, especially for $1,132. I actually thought about selling the CAI and going back to a stock airbox setup for a cleaner look, plus anytime I need to remove one of the carbon fiber tubes, the bumper cover needs to come off.

Ultimately decided to keep it, but without the extra sheet metal in the way. Any loss in power will be negligible since Dinan quotes an increase of 4 hp/5 ft-lb at 7,000 RPM. Also put the stock fog light covers back on so no risk of water hitting the filter.

Dafaq is this?

Since I now have cutouts in the front fender liners, adding the brake ducts creates a functional cooling system.

The rubber on the air filters was crumbling so installed new filters.

Installed a new timing chain tensioner. The old one felt alright but well worth the peace of mind.

New wipers.

New gas cap since the rubber cord was falling apart, and an M3 oil filler cap since the E39 stock ones don't seal very well.

The windshield trim had cracks in it so took care of that.

Treated all door seals with silicone.

Since this sticker did me a solid and peeled off easily...

...and since I had an extra roundel after replacing the one from the trunk lid, I used a piece of foam that I'm pretty sure came with a helmet I bought in high school...

I thought about drilling 2 holes but didn't wanna permanently mess up the tool kit so...yeah?

We got new fender liners!

We got new underbody plastic covers!

Also replaced some of the screws and circlips for an additional 2 hp.

While down there, cleaned the fuel lines for an extra 3 ft-lb.

Replaced the rear diffuser with an aftermarket finned model. It was a pain to install since all the tabs that clip into the bumper needed to be shaved down and it's slightly lower on the passenger side, but overall I think it looks good (I painted it matte black too).

Here's how the front bumper cover looked:

So sexy now. The headlights were also polished but now the rock chips on the hood really stand out. Need my checking account to rebound a bit but I plan on painting the hood later this summer. I have new black kidney grills and a new roundel, but don't feel like installing them till the hood has been painted. Is that weird? Also leaning towards Euro-spec headlights.

**Hood was unlatched prior to taking the pic**

Added LED fog lights.

Painted trunk lid. It's slightly darker than the rest but overall the paint match is pretty good.

But it wasn't really until I put the lip on that it looked like a genuine M5. Ordered the OEM tape for it and clayed the surface prior to putting it on.

Thinking about keeping it debadged for now too.

HOT! Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by MVZOOM View Post
      HOT! Great work!
      Thanks! It's coming together.

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Looking great! I like it rebadged.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Nice! I'm looking into replacing some plastic bits and panels in the near future too. Along with a respray, but now i need to replace my front bumper since apparently someone backed up into mine and made a 14" crack.

Quote Originally Posted by bombardi View Post
      Nice! I'm looking into replacing some plastic bits and panels in the near future too. Along with a respray, but now i need to replace my front bumper since apparently someone backed up into mine and made a 14" crack.
      Bummer about the bumper. I assume no one left a note, right? Someone recently did that to my Cayman...very aggravating!

Replacing plastic bits and using new fasteners is pretty satisfying to me for some reason. Especially when it comes time to remove something in the future, it's nice knowing it's not gonna break apart and everything will go back together the way it's supposed to.

Pro-tip: You are supposed to take the jack stands out of the box before using them.

Nice progress, car looks great

When I was under the car a couple weeks ago, I noticed there was a power steering fluid leak at the connection to the pump. All the PS hoses have worm gear hose clamps on which means they've been changed at least once.

Since the hoses looked good, I decided to just cut off a little bit of the hose to get fresh rubber under the clamp, but went ahead and changed it to the more uniform spring-type clamp.

Also decided to replace the reservoir (no idea if it's ever been replaced) and with the fluid looking like coffee, decided to do a flush.

Got some brass barbs and vinyl tubing to extend the lines.

Fresh vs. old.

Good times.
      Last edited by kiznarsh; 06-09-2017 at 12:00 AM.

A pleasure to watch the progress with all the attention to detail.

How did I miss this? Nice pickup. I wanted one so badly I could taste it; 17 years later, I ended up with Chevy's version. Enjoy!
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by HackAC View Post
      What would America be like today if everyone had to sit through a 2 hour TFL seminar?
      Lots of suicides

Quote Originally Posted by vladimirP View Post
      A pleasure to watch the progress with all the attention to detail.
      Appreciate it. It's fun documenting it to enjoy later on.
      Quote Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
      How did I miss this? Nice pickup. I wanted one so badly I could taste it; 17 years later, I ended up with Chevy's version. Enjoy!
      Thanks! If you keep it long enough, I imagine you'll enjoy lower replacement part prices.

RWD N/A V8 with 6 MT cars are a dying breed (unlike acronyms).

I love The Backstreet Boys. Holla! leitloaf's Avatar
      I feel like this would make a great road trip car. Looks good man!

Quote Originally Posted by Leitloaf View Post
      They are fantastic road trip cars! They tow really well too! (though I had to fabricate the trailer hitch myself) 1200 miles round trim MD>TN>MD without a single hiccup. It was a blast ripping it past people merging onto the highway while towing the bike/luggage/beer

OP I am definitely stealing your idea with that PS flush. Mine is starting to make some noise on occasion. Also how hard was that windshield gasket replacement? mine looks the same. Where did you get the gasket from? I have been loving your progress. As soon as I get moved into my next house I am getting a lift installed and will be catching up on all the little things the car needs like a solid detailing, windshield gaskets, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Leitloaf View Post
      That's the plan, but there are 2 other areas (not rod bearings) I need to address before getting my peace of mind at the level I want. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by yeayeayea View Post
      OP I am definitely stealing your idea with that PS flush. Mine is starting to make some noise on occasion. Also how hard was that windshield gasket replacement? mine looks the same. Where did you get the gasket from? I have been loving your progress. As soon as I get moved into my next house I am getting a lift installed and will be catching up on all the little things the car needs like a solid detailing, windshield gaskets, etc...
      Steal away since I learned about it from M5Board.

You'll need 5/8" barbs/tubing for the suction and 3/8" barbs/tubing for the return line. The original idea was to also get a 5/8" tap that you'd screw into the bottom of a cheap bucket, which I actually did.

I used a dremel to make the hole but couldn't get a leak-free setup, so I applied silicone but once I attached the tubing, it became dislodged and it was getting messy so I ditched the idea. The PS pump had no trouble sucking up the liquid anyway. I added 3 quarts to the red bucket which was sucked out in less than 10 seconds while rotating the wheel from side to side.

The windshield moulding trim was purchased from Pelican Parts (~$45, part no. 51-31-8-159-784). It just snaps out since it's not glued in, but to make it easier I left the car in the sun to make the rubber more pliable. Sprayed the new moulding with silicone for lubrication but unfortunately, I left it in the sun too much and the lower portions actually started to melt. It deformed its shape a bit so I wasn't able to get it to fully position it in place at the very bottom of the windshield sides. Debating whether or not to re-do it.

Just take your time and use a plastic tool to help push it in...well worth it.

Just take your time and use a plastic tool to help push it in...well worth it.
      I'm assuming (yeah I know) that the E39 windshield moulding is like the E38's -- it takes about 30min max to change it out. And yes, let it warm up a bit in the sun first. On my car, it got rid of a fair bit of wind noise, as mine was dried/cracked from being in S. Texas.

Does a M5 use conventional ATF for the PS fluid, or is the Pentosin fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by WRXGuy View Post
      Does a M5 use conventional ATF for the PS fluid, or is the Pentosin fluid?
      It uses ATF but apparently in Scandinavian countries the cap lists CHF-11S. My original cap said ATF but the new one I ordered (with the correct part number) came with a CHF label.

Happened to someone else recently too so I'm not sure if they're just going through old stock or what, but the caps are interchangeable. As I understand it, you can't mix the two but if you flush the system, you can technically use either. I'm sticking with ATF.

Fuel Pump & Filter

Tackled a couple more preventative maintenance items yesterday: fuel pump & filter.

Getting to the pump is pretty easy after popping the rear seats out. I was down to essentially just my reserve level of fuel so I didn't have to bother with siphoning any out.

Here it is with the floater assembly already out.

I re-used the floater as it didn't really need replacing.

New one assembled. The black tubing was already marked with white lines to indicate where to use the provided zip ties. Nice touch.

Getting it back in was the tricky part and having an extra set of hands helped. After reassembly I added a couple gallons just to verify the float was working, then filled it all the way up and did some "slaloms" to test for leaks through the cap. All good.

Removed the lower plastic cover which was a lot easier since it's a new part. Pretty sure this has never been replaced by the looks of it, but don't know for sure. Apparently people don't replace these soon enough, causing them to get clogged and ultimately leading to fuel pump failure.

After releasing the pressure in the system via the relief valve (Schrader valve on the regulator), I disconnected the back end and let it drain out.

Detaching it from the regulator was the hardest part. Needed a 15/16" open ended on the square regulator and a 3/4" on the filter nut to get it loose.

Installed a new copper crush washer and hooked it all back up.

Getting the aft bolt to engage in the threads was a pain since one of the hoses was in the way, plus you had to squeeze the bracket to get all 3 holes to line up.

I know what you're thinking: "damn dude, this guy was clever and used zip ties to get everything out of the way and squeeze the bracket to really make things easy on himself. He probably did this right away and didn't struggle with this step at all."

You are sorely mistaken.

Radiator, pulleys, tensioners galore

There's no written record but apparently the water pump and thermostat were changed at 80k miles so I decided to leave them and attacked the rest of the cooling system as more preventative maintenance.

I replaced the following:
      • Radiator
      • Fan
      • Fan Clutch
      • Water Pump Pulley
      • All 3 Radiator Hoses
      • Expansion Tank & Cap
      • Coolant Temp Sensor (I actually had a leak from the O-ring on the sensor)
      • Coolant Level Sensor
      • A/C Belt Drive Tensioner and Idler Pulley
      • Alternator/PS/Water Pump Belt Drive Tensioner and Pulley Assembly

Some of the new parts.

Radiator, shroud, fan, and all belts removed.

Interesting to think this radiator has collected bugs from Florida, Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and California.

Does anyone else use kneeling pads? Gotta protect your knees, is what I'm sayin'.

I didn't have access to a garden hose but blew out as much debris as I could.

Getting the water pump pulley off took some persuasion.

Just a couple of pulleys and a tensioner. Doesn't look like anything else. Nope.

Installation complete.

Shiny.

Definitely the most satisfying part to replace.

I had read that draining the block was somewhat of a pain, especially the plug on the driver's side. I got over 2 gallons to come out of the radiator, expansion tank, and hoses but decided to see if I can drain the block too. Knowing the angle was going to be awkward (because it always is), I got myself a flexible ratchet which made it manageable.

The crush washer was stuck to the block but easily popped off (top hole). Not sure about the purpose for the other tapped hole.

Then it was onto the passenger side which was also fun. I should've gotten one of those funnels with an attached hose to prevent being showered by coolant. This is my best Jacques Cousteau impersonation.

50/50 mix.

After following the recommended procedure to self-bleed it, this was the level at the end of the day.

Topped it off, then took it out for a test drive where I was able to get more air to come out, resulting in this level.

I've since topped it off and everything looks good.

I even got the proper Oetiker clamps for that sweet OEM look.

Last edited by kiznarsh; 06-19-2017 at 01:20 AM.

Great thread... I've always loved these cars. What kind of gas mileage do you get? Just out of curiosity...

Nice job

Quote Originally Posted by KingUnderpants View Post
      Great thread... I've always loved these cars. What kind of gas mileage do you get? Just out of curiosity...
      Here's what it was showing this morning (I haven't reset it in a while).

...and here's after my 4-mile commute to work while babying it (I reset it before leaving).

So uhhh...I guess you could say not great.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast