TCL Darling Acquired: E39 M5 - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      Love these roadtrip threads on TCL. Thanks for sharing and great pictures
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Congrats OP! Glad you enjoyed Seattle.

I agree, I really enjoy them.
      Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      1) Damn! Wish I'd known you were stopping through town. Would have bought you a (I'm in Seattle)
      2) Glad that car is as nice as it appeared in the CL ad I'd been stalking for some time
      3) Weatherford Hall! (I'm an OSU grad.) When I was in school, light years ago, that was the oldest dormitory still occupied on the West coast. The fire marshall wanted to condemn it as they predicted it'd go up in about 10 minutes. At the time, students were allowed to build whatever the hell they wanted in their rooms, so in addition to walls 'insulated' with some shredded newspaper, the entire building was full of cheap lumber. There were some epic loft/desk/couch/etc setups though.
      4) Looks like a great road trip! And what a great way to get to know a new-to-you car, especially when nothing disabling/catastrophic goes wrong.
      I mean you can still send me a BevMo gift card if ya like.

OSU's campus was pretty cool. Was the Beaver Bus around back then? Everyone looked like they were having a nice time on the Beaver Bus.

The clutch definitely took some getting used to, but we barely encountered traffic so it was smooth sailing for the most part. It's fun not having to downshift going uphill cuz of all that torque!

Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      headed back to the hotel, ate oysters & calamari for dinner
      tell us more

The mufflers have been deleted (good thing) but I don't like these giant shin-burning tips. The PO gave me another set of smaller shiny tips (3") so those will be going on.

The bumper was resprayed a few months ago but then all this happened a week before I flew up.

And here all the wheels that are in dire need of refinishing. I think I'll take care of these last as the cherry on top regarding the cosmetic issues.

Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      awesome trip report

glad you didnt run into this guy in pdx...

Fantastic Kiznarsh and loved reading your original post!

Awesome car and trip! Glad you and the car made it in (mostly) one piece, and yea Avenue of the Giants definitely is one of the best roads ever. In for pics of car with cleaned up wheels/trunk/mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by Boober_V2.0 View Post
      Only a TCL darling because most of TCL have never attempted to own one. 3 years were more than enough for me; all I can say is good luck. I suggest referring to the R63 AMG thread on GRM for an example of what will undoubtedly be in store.
      Coming up on 4 years and 68,000 miles (148k total) and I am still in love with the car. Finding a well sorted example seems to be the ticket between stories like yours and stories like mine. I've heard the stories of motor failures shortly after the sale, but my car has been very solid. It is not pampered either. 130 miles a day into DC with crap roads year round. 600 mile trips to tail of the dragon towing a motorcycle. The only times it ever left me stranded were flat tires since it does not have a spare tire, only a tire repair kit. I have Geico Roadside assistance on my policy and it has saved me a couple times.

That fender liner is looking a bit ravaged as well
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      also, id recommend replacing those yellow'd plastic reservoirs under the hood before 16volt sees this post...

Excellent score!

I figured I'd dip my toes in the water of E39 ownership by finding a nice 530i sport, and if I dare chance it, upgrade to an M5.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I appreciate a good road trip thread.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

I love The Backstreet Boys. Holla! leitloaf's Avatar
      Nice ride, Kiz! love E39 M5's

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      awesome trip report

glad you didnt run into this guy in pdx...

Ha! That's the guy Dave, Vlad and I saw on our Saab Adventure™ Portland stopover .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      also, id recommend replacing those yellow'd plastic reservoirs under the hood before 16volt sees this post...
      I'd hate to have him lose sleep over it. Shannon I'm sure lost sleep when he saw my timing chain gasket leaking on my new exhaust on my E9.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Awesome Kiz, it was nice to finally see some pictures.
      Instagram - efrie004

Congrats!

The E39 M5 was one of my dream cars, and the story and pictures of picking it up are great. It makes me wish I did a better job of documenting the trip to pick up my car.

Past: 08.5 Mazdaspeed3 | 96 Buick Roadmaster Estate | 84 Mercedes 300D | 04 Mazda3 5-dr | 91 Mitsubishi GVR4 | 88 Sterling 825SL | 87 Sterling 825S | 86 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

What a great thread. Appreciate the wit.
      Oh, great car too. Thx for helping me to live vicariously. Your task is on my to do list, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      Yeah I have no idea how all of them are so damaged. It's an eyesore and the parts aren't cheap, but I'll be taking care of those too.

I was thinking of replacing the expansion tank when it came time for the coolant flush. There's a leak from the temp sensor too.

And the de-icer reservoir was filled during the PPI which is unnecessary for me. You may have noticed the headlight washers aren't there. The PO didn't drill new holes for them when he got the new bumper cover, and I'm OK with it since I didn't see myself using them anyway. I still have the plumbing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Awesome Kiz, it was nice to finally see some pictures.
      Hey you know I'm good for it, just takes me a while. I took 525 photos and deleted about 400 of them.

It's a good thing he's probably still deep in the frunk of the 930, installing NOS spring clips on the HVAC system...because otherwise...

Nice photography and excellent choice of car! I've done that trip down the coast a couple time now and recognize a lot of your picture locations. Where did you stay in Eureka The Red Lion?

It's patina!

Porsche 930, Cash Incinerator
      BMW E24, Barnfind conversion in progress
      https://medium.com/@crashingdoor

Hey you know I'm good for it, just takes me a while. I took 525 photos and deleted about 400 of them.
      You know, it's photographers like you filling up the landfills with all that extra waste. It isn't right, throwing away perfectly good pictures!
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by nicetry View Post
      Nice photography and excellent choice of car! I've done that trip down the coast a couple time now and recognize a lot of your picture locations. Where did you stay in Eureka The Red Lion?
      Thanks!

The hotel was actually in Arcata since I wanted to stay at a Hilton property for points, so it was the Hampton Inn.

wanted to stay at a Hilton property for points
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast