TCL Darling Acquired: E39 M5 - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
      Let us know how you like the Porterfield pads. I'm interested in a set of those for when I wear out the PFC's that came on my M3.

I know it's not apples to apples, but I'm trying to find something that's a step up from the usual DD pads, but not quite as extreme (or expensive) as the PFC's.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      It's an ECE requirement (ECE-R48 § 6.2.9) that cars with headlamps that output more than 2000 lumens have auto-leveling and headlamp washers. Most HIDs fall into this category. BMW probably figured it wasn't worth the effort to redesign the front bumper for US cars only.
      While it may be a legal requirement, I was only speaking on the real world practicality of them outside of places like Canada. Or lack there of. They are useless for me on the Mid-Atlantic, all they do is waste my washer fluid and cover my hood in blue spots.

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by fbobberts View Post
      The issue is those heat up lights on the tach. They look so nice and give you such comfort. As a former owner of a high miles example I can tell you how to avoid the rods. You ignore those lights, because they are lying. You cannot start to beat on this car in any way until the oil gauge below the tach is above that first heat dot, at about the 1/4 to 1/3 point. Up until then you baby her and short shift her to keep her below 3000 rpm, and you don't engage the sport tune. This is much later than those lights would have you believe. Once the oil is at that dot on the oil temp gauge, or slightly above it, you can start to let her go.

You can tell this if you own one because it's a completely different car warming up than it is once it's up to temp. But it takes a good five miles or so to be ready, sometimes more, which is why I say it's not a good daily driver, especially for shorter drives. But the valve system is driven by that oil, and the bottom end needs it, too. It's a hundred percent reliant on oil flow. I think the examples with the issues beat on the car the moment the lights said you could have the red line. But those lights are lying b@stards. The oil temp gauge is your real friend.
      The big Getrag box isn't even warm enough for a smooth 2nd gear shift by time the lights are out.

S62's also hate being spun to a higher RPM than BMW recommended. That really accelerates the rod bearing issue. Chipped cars that have spent a ton of time past 7k are cars that I would pass on, unless you budget for rod bearings.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by yeayeayea View Post
      So apparently:

*In 2000 the M5 recommended 10w60.

*People complained I guess that 10w60 was hard to find, as I believe this may have been one of the first motors to use the 10w60.

*Around 2001 BMW changes recommended oil to 5w30 I believe.

*Also around 2001 BMW begins offering complementary oil changes?

*Also around 2001 oil change interval goes up to 15,000 miles?

SO if all the above is true, it is possible that it was a cost cutting move by BMW to raise oil change intervals and switch the recommended oil to a cheaper, more available oil, at our rod bearings and valve seals expense. This is one of the main culprits for the E60 v8's notorious valve seal issues, the extended oil change intervals causes them to dry out and harden prematurely.
      I bought the TIS DVD and read the official announcement to increasing the intervals to 15k miles, so at least that part is true. It also isn't all that surprising since it seemed like it would appease most customers.

I run Liquimoly 10w60 religiously, drive the car hard, and have no issues at 148k. Switching to 10w60 over the 5w30 definitely reduced how much oil the car consumes, as evident on the trunk of the car. Being alpine white, the back used to get covered in an oil exhaust film noticeably quicker on 5w30. And that is on a quite healthy S62 that put down 344whp/374wtq on a dyno at Frank Smiths shop, so this isn't some worn out example. They will consume some oil. Mine is due for replacement of all the oil separator hoses, I noticed they are quite soft when I had the plenum off to do the valve cover gasket and to replace a coil pack.
      Good to know. I've been lurking and reading up on all this stuff on M5Board and the general consensus is to go with 10W-60. It's not that expensive either; I got a 7-liter value pack for $65 via Amazon.

(still need to make a thread on M5Board there but don't have a good feel for the community's attitude yet.)

I will highly recommend poly front thrust arm bushings. These are the first to wear out in the front and cause a lot of shimmying under braking. Also Poly rear front diff mount made shifting very crisp and precise, though my rear mount was arguably toast before. This car is made to be driven hard, and at least mine seems to like being driven in that manner. I have replaced every control arm on the car.
      The PO replaced the driver's side control arm bushings with a Moosehead Engineering one, and I have a spare for the passenger side when needed. I'm sure the thrust arm and other bushings will need replacing too.

I'll probably take you up on your offer for guidance via PM; there's no shortage of work on this car.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Let us know how you like the Porterfield pads. I'm interested in a set of those for when I wear out the PFC's that came on my M3.

I know it's not apples to apples, but I'm trying to find something that's a step up from the usual DD pads, but not quite as extreme (or expensive) as the PFC's.
      I've had those pads on my S4 and MR2 and really like them. Less dust than stock but comparable bite, and no noise when bed-in properly. Actually, I didn't get a chance to really bed them in with the MR2 and they were still quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by fbobberts View Post
      But those lights are lying b@stards. The oil temp gauge is your real friend.
      Right you are.

Great thread, story, and car....i hope it gives you years of smiles. My dad is still in love with his, 240k+ miles later. I need to ask him for a detailed list of what he's replaced, but I know for sure that somehow, he's still on the original clutch (which I've heard is very rare).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great car, I put 70k on my 2000 the last 4 years and it has been a joy. I went from the 10w-60 Castroil to Liqui-Moly and notice that it did not burn as much oil as well. These cars the really perfect do it all car. Fast, comfortable, timeless looks, big trunk, handles like a smaller car.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      Be considerate. Most posters here are old and bitter men who lived in their parents' basement during their 20s and are now married to women who drag them by the balls.

You can't expect them to turn this place into The Yolo Lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc914 View Post
      Great thread, story, and car....i hope it gives you years of smiles. My dad is still in love with his, 240k+ miles later. I need to ask him for a detailed list of what he's replaced, but I know for sure that somehow, he's still on the original clutch (which I've heard is very rare).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I think that's a world record for an M5 clutch. Usually they go bye bye in 30k miles of abuse, or 100k for a well maintained car.
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.

Nice writeup. I was very interested to see where you would be taking pictures in California

Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Nice writeup. I was very interested to see where you would be taking pictures in California
      Thanks for the suggestions.

Obviously not ideal lighting conditions but I had my CPL on so that helped. I'd like to get a nice sunset shot near the bridge at some point, plus a time lapse at Twin Peaks. They were doing construction on the pathway to the top when I was there a couple weeks ago.

Sometimes there's so much fog you can't even see the bridge from that location, and sometimes the clouds are so light and bland that it's nearly impossible not to blown them out completely. I say you pulled it off nicely
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

99% sure I saw you driving south on 101 in Eureka.

Also, you're a dirty liar. You didn't stay in Eureka. You stayed in Arcata. I recognize Valley West shopping center anywhere.

Fun Fact about that laundromat- during harvest season, all of the trimmers come out of the hills, because that is the closest laundromat from 299.

The owner of the laundromat owns that ENTIRE shopping center.

Quote Originally Posted by HaystackMalone View Post
      99% sure I saw you driving south on 101 in Eureka.

Also, you're a dirty liar. You didn't stay in Eureka. You stayed in Arcata. I recognize Valley West shopping center anywhere.

Fun Fact about that laundromat- during harvest season, all of the trimmers come out of the hills, because that is the closest laundromat from 299.

The owner of the laundromat owns that ENTIRE shopping center.
      NSA is that you?!

And yes, we stayed in Arcata since there weren't any Hilton properties in Eureka. I didn't know the local citizens are so territorial.

The Mediterranean place we ate at in the shopping center was really good and next time you hang out with the owner of the laundromat, tell them their dryers are excellent, their prices are reasonable, and their music is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      NSA is that you?!

And yes, we stayed in Arcata since there weren't any Hilton properties in Eureka. I didn't know the local citizens are so territorial.

The Mediterranean place we ate at in the shopping center was really good and next time you hang out with the owner of the laundromat, tell them their dryers are excellent, their prices are reasonable, and their music is appropriate.
      Kebab Cafe. They make seriously good food.

and I spend quite a bit of my week anywhere from Fortuna to Arcata. Small towns, so I've seen most vehicles at least once. There's an Oxford over Caramel I see on occasion in perfect condition. Not many other m5's in the area.

TCL Darling Acquired: E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by speedworks1 View Post
      Great car, I put 70k on my 2000 the last 4 years and it has been a joy. I went from the 10w-60 Castroil to Liqui-Moly and notice that it did not burn as much oil as well. These cars the really perfect do it all car. Fast, comfortable, timeless looks, big trunk, handles like a smaller car.
      Exactly. And the sound. Oh heavens the sounds. (See link in sig )

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I think that's a world record for an M5 clutch. Usually they go bye bye in 30k miles of abuse, or 100k for a well maintained car.
      I believe per the PO mine was replaced at 60k. I'm now at 148 so I've driven it 70k (bought it with a hair under 80k) and it still grips fine. You can overpower it trying to do a brake stand if you do it wrong but you could do that 40k miles ago too. Not that I make a habit of doing brake stands. But the car is driven hard and the clutch is fine and will spin the tires rolling and drift absolutely fine. I think it's the people who go out and try to do brake stands all the time that are running through clutches at 30k, but I also drive 130miles a day for work so I have a ton of highway miles in my figures as well.

...but I also drive 130miles a day for work...
      That's the equivalent of 2 weeks of commute for me! I know it's not ideal but my oil does get to operating temp (at least 180° F) and I push it a little when I can.

Finally got my Blackstone labs kit yesterday so I'll be sending out a sample to see how healthy things are.

Exactly. And the sound. Oh heavens the sounds. (See link in sig )

I believe per the PO mine was replaced at 60k. I'm now at 148 so I've driven it 70k (bought it with a hair under 80k) and it still grips fine. You can overpower it trying to do a brake stand if you do it wrong but you could do that 40k miles ago too. Not that I make a habit of doing brake stands. But the car is driven hard and the clutch is fine and will spin the tires rolling and drift absolutely fine. I think it's the people who go out and try to do brake stands all the time that are running through clutches at 30k, but I also drive 130miles a day for work so I have a ton of highway miles in my figures as well.
      It's usually guys slipping the clutch on gearchanges that does it. There was an epidemic of "Mah clutch!" threads on M5Board in 2001-2003. It wasn't just burnouts and brake stands; the 1-2 and 2-3 shift while slipping the clutch murders it.

Basically, if you know how to drive stick you're totally fine. If you shift and burn clutch the car is going to hurt you.

Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      dem burnouts doe

I can't say I have kept up with e39 pricing but damn you can get into one of these things cheap.

Needs a little work but $8500!
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-BMW-M5-...5YON9N&vxp=mtr

Awesome car and awesome pics. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      I can't say I have kept up with e39 pricing but damn you can get into one of these things cheap.

Needs a little work but $8500!
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-BMW-M5-...5YON9N&vxp=mtr
      That M5 scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      dem burnouts doe

Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      That M5 scares me.
      not normally a fan of brown/caramel/non-black interiors but that thing looks clean in those pics... damn

how much could a clutch refurb really cost?

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      not normally a fan of brown/caramel/non-black interiors but that thing looks clean in those pics... damn

how much could a clutch refurb really cost?
      MY00 M5's have some issues. 180k is prime time for timing gear and rod bearings. 7 owners.

Finally, and what I don't like:

Dead clutch, secondary injection carbon build up (chip fixes it, but why hasn't he fixed it), and the bumper is his last straw after 8 months of ownership, and he's not going to fix this stuff before sale? Sounds like he's cashing out after getting tired of it.

MY00 M5's have some issues. 180k is prime time for timing gear and rod bearings. 7 owners.

Finally, and what I don't like:

Dead clutch, secondary injection carbon build up (chip fixes it, but why hasn't he fixed it), and the bumper is his last straw after 8 months of ownership, and he's not going to fix this stuff before sale? Sounds like he's cashing out after getting tired of it.
      What a damn shame. As a 10 footer, that looks fantastic.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast