TCL Darling Acquired: E39 M5 - Page 5
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      I can't say I have kept up with e39 pricing but damn you can get into one of these things cheap.

Needs a little work but $8500!
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-BMW-M5-...5YON9N&vxp=mtr
      Damn...this guy's still trying to sell his?! Pretty sure I saw this ad back in November.

The car's located in the city where they shoot movies of the adult variety. Definitely clean those seats if you buy it.

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Damn...this guy's still trying to sell his?! Pretty sure I saw this ad back in November.

The car's located in the city where they shoot movies of the adult variety. Definitely clean those seats if you buy it.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      The valve cover gaskets, timing chain tensioner, and bumper/trunk lid resprays aren't gonna pay for themselves.

Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      The valve cover gaskets, timing chain tensioner, and bumper/trunk lid resprays aren't gonna pay for themselves.
      inch by inch ...

Changed exhaust tips

Left work early today and decided to take care of the t-shirt cannon exhaust tips. Looked at some local places and saw a review where another E39 owner took his exhaust there and they did a good job. Let's do it.

I was greeted by the sweet melodies of Michael Bolton emanating from this classic GE radio. CSB: I still have my black GE radio/alarm clock with red numbers from the 80s, so this place just felt right, nomsayin'?

Out with the old.

Weld with the new.

I don't know if I would've gone with these exact tips but I didn't feel like spending more time and money on a different set. Overall I'm pretty happy.

Oh...and I was so preoccupied by the size of the tips that I hadn't noticed the broken plastic on the right hand side of the diffuser/valence. I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket one with fins (not carbon fiber).

Something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      rod bearings as part of normal service? i guess i havent been following bmw motors much.. wow.

does anything require machining or is it just the bearings themselves that wear and requirement replacement?

dropping the oil pan probably isnt too bad, no? if its just a bearing replacement id imagine that would be a DIY with the engine in...

crazy though!

Sounds a bit much to be considered normal.

New tips look good

Finned diffusers look great on these, though I have a smooth CF on mine personally. I take it this car already has a muffler delete? or is it a full custom exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by yeayeayea View Post
      New tips look good

Finned diffusers look great on these, though I have a smooth CF on mine personally. I take it this car already has a muffler delete? or is it a full custom exhaust?
      Yeah, huge improvement.

And yes, the mufflers are gone. Sounds just right.

Yuge improvement, Kiz.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cool trip, great photography, but I am so glad I don't have any urge to buy a BMW, especially an older specialty model. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic to test drive when they are new, but as they age, it seems that every trip turns into a diagnosis session for an ever growing list of issues. It's like buying a charming old house, but worse.

Good luck OP!
      2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Absolutely Red/Black, 5spd
      2005 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Quartz, Sportshift
      2013 Ford Focus ST, Oxford White/Charcoal Black, ST3
      2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Light Dune, Reserve +Technology

Love these photos, the things you notice when you go places (I'm the same way), and the car itself. I've ALWAYS wanted to own one. Like, since they were new. Maybe at some point I'll swap the 911 and FJ for an E39 with a roof rack and hold on to all the spare cash so I can keep it running.

Quote Originally Posted by daSchtick View Post
      Cool trip, great photography, but I am so glad I don't have any urge to buy a BMW, especially an older specialty model. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic to test drive when they are new, but as they age, it seems that every trip turns into a diagnosis session for an ever growing list of issues. It's like buying a charming old house, but worse.

Good luck OP!
      The constant diagnosis is what keeps you on your toes! I know what you mean though, at some point it gets annoying and you end up having to carry around spares of everything just in case. I think with my current mileage, it's mostly the relatively smaller issues that are DIY-friendly. Well, other than the rod bearings.

I plan on doing a decent amount of preventative maintenance for the peace of mind so I can enjoy it on road trips. One thing I've really liked about it so far is how much easier it is to drive compared to the Cayman. Ingress/egress is easier, the clutch is significantly lighter (so is the accelerator pedal which you wouldn't think would be stiff on a car, but somehow Porsche made it so), driving slowly in traffic is more comfortable, and much softer over bumps on the freeway.

Yeah, huge improvement.

And yes, the mufflers are gone. Sounds just right.
      Muffler delete really is the best way to go for a daily driver. The factory Lungs shaped resonator does an amazing job of eliminating drone, especially below 2000rpm. Though I make a habit of trying to avoid driving below 2000rpms whenever I can to prevent lugging the motor around. It makes a ton of low end torque.

I'm still on original rod bearings, and I have no plans on replacing them unless they become an issue. I am not drinking the kool-aid with the people who think rod bearings are an 80k mile change interval. 10W60 at proper intervals is all I have needed so far.
      Last edited by yeayeayea; 04-03-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Brakes, Nav Computer, Tint, and LEDs

Last weekend I did a brake fluid flush and replaced all the pads to Porterfields and bed them in. Definitely an improvement in pedal feel and stopping power. I didn't realize the calipers were single piston but I don't have any plans on going big. It's just a yuge difference when I swap cars but that's not a fair comparison.

~~~~~

I had the MK III nav computer in the trunk and even though I'd use my phone for any serious navigating, I enjoy seeing where I'm at without the phone and charging cable hanging off the vents so I looked around for a used MK IV unit. On Tuesday it was my co-workers birthday and since it was his birthday, I asked mi amigo for a favor after we finished masticating on taco Tuesdays at Cafe Rio: mind stopping by this place that has used BMW parts on your way home? It was pretty close to his house which is 30 miles away and he obliged. There just happened to be a standalone bank kiosk nearby so I withdrew 15 Jacksons to cover the $260 + tax cost.

When he walked in, he explained what he was looking for when the owner said, "oh yeah, we've been talking online about this...did I tell you $200?"

"Well...it's for my friend but uhhh...yeah, I think he said $200."

10 Jacksons were exchanged for a MK IV unit from a 2002 330i. Ze merchandise was delivered at the rendezvous point, along with a jnm back in my pocket. I later used some of that cold hard cash to buy him lunch at Pizza Rev the next day. Crispy thin crusts are fantastic.

Plugged in the computing machine and updated the software to the modified V32 version giving me that sweep ///M splash screen.

But after rebooting, the location was off. Accessing the clandestine menu revealed a receiver error. Rats. Upon further investigation, turns out the GPS antenna cable was damaged. I noticed electrical tape was wrapped around it and seeing how it's a coax cable, that's never a good sign, as seen below.

Didn't feel like paying $50 for an OEM cable so I scoured the interwebz and found another local vendor who custom makes such cables with SMB connectors. For $12, I had a new cable in 24 hours that fixed my problem. Supporting the local economy; it's what I do.

Getting to it was a PITA though.

Great success! I've since learned there are adjustment screws on the circuit board behind the screen that'll allow me to re-center the image on the monitor.

~~~~~

I don't have any pics but the previous tint shop wasn't that great. It was starting to bubble on the back window, there was a yuge scratch on the right rear window, and well, I just didn't like it. So I took it to the guy whose uncle was apparently on the design team for the E39.

Went with 20% 3M Color Stable all around and 70% 3M Crystalline on the front. Massive improvements. The previous tint was 30% which I actually think is dark enough, but Color Stable doesn't come in that shade.

It'll show itself much better when I take the 2nd round of DSLR pics.

~~~~~

I realize this doesn't make it period-correct but I really like bright interiors so did a complete swap to 6000K LEDs. I didn't do the license plate lights yet since I'll be swapping out the trunk lid, and I'll install the new fog light LEDs after I get the bumper cover painted. See, I have patience.

LET THERE BE LIGHT!

Last edited by kiznarsh; 04-10-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Geriatric Member
      I need a 5 series...

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      I need a 5 series...
      ^This

When he walked in, he explained what he was looking for when the owner said, "oh yeah, we've been talking online about this...did I tell you $200?"

"Well...it's for my friend but uhhh...yeah, I think he said $200."

10 Hamiltons were exchanged for a MK IV unit from a 2002 330i. Ze merchandise was delivered at the rendezvous point, along with a jnm back in my pocket. I later used some of that cold hard cash to buy him lunch at Pizza Rev the next day. Crispy thin crusts are fantastic.
      Did he notice that you only gave him $100?

Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Did he notice that you only gave him $100?
      D'oh.

I need to stop writing these updates late at night.

D'oh.

I need to stop writing these updates late at night.
      You'd think your screen name is Aaron Burr by the way you're dropping Hamiltons.
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.

You'd think your screen name is Aaron Burr by the way you're dropping Hamiltons.
      I just dropped a bunch of Benjamins today on cooling system parts, fender liners and plastic trim, and most importantly the timing chain tensioner.

I need to take care of the valve cover gaskets too. I picked up a buddy for lunch today and he could smell the oil outside the car.

I need to take care of the valve cover gaskets too. I picked up a buddy for lunch today and he could smell the oil outside the car.
      As a former V8 BMW owner, you'll get acclimated to that smell. And the tiny oil spots it marks your garage floor with.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXGuy View Post
      As a former V8 BMW owner, you'll get acclimated to that smell. And the tiny oil spots it marks your garage floor with.
      My 528 was too new to leak oil, but all of my other BMW's had that nice sweet toasted oil smell. My E9 added the pungent smell of gas to the mix too.

Bimmers and oil control. Some day they'll keep the oil where it belongs.

My 540 was fun. The valve cover gasket started leaking internally before it leaked externally. Why is it misfiring? Oh because the spark plug wells are all full of oil. The car had a James Bond style smoke screen erupt out of the exhaust when I fired it up from the oil that dropped into the cylinders, and that's after I shop vacced as much oil out of the plug wells as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXGuy View Post
      Just marking its territory! Ain't no thang.

Although my garage floor is already showcasing a constellation of oil drops from the Fiat from back in the day. If you squint hard enough, you'll see the sailboat.

More cosmetic improvements

Made some more progress with the car. Got new floormats which really spruced up the interior, plus no more annoying sliding of the mats near the pedals. No one likes that.

I replaced the shifter with the E60 one for a dramatically improved feel. I actually bought the complete bushing replacement kit a while ago but didn't realize at the time I'd have to drop the exhaust & driveshaft to get access to all of them. I'll keep 'em for now and will install if that time ever comes.

Went with good ol' Redline Goods shifter and e-brake boot replacements in the proper M-stitching pattern. Quality Polish work.

Letting the contact cement cure as I had to stretch the leather for one corner. Clip all the things!

Getting the stock knob off is possible in theory but sweet sassy malassy that thing was stuck on there. I didn't feel like recreating an Excaliber mini-series so I just took the easy way out; wasn't planning on keeping it anyway, especially since the stock boot is glued to it.

So much nicer.

I finally made my way to the local pick-your-part in pursuit of a trunk lid. I was prepared for a long day of walking in the blistering sun, needing to hit up multiple places to find what I was looking for. I walk in, look to my right, see an aisle of what appeared to be German cars, and wouldn't you know it, the 4th car I see happens to yield this magnificent piece of steel. I didn't even need a cart to haul it back to the front. $52.

I'm thinking of selling the M3 wing on eBay (unless one of you fine chaps is interested) so I took it off before taking it to the body shop. In addition to the 4 holes, they glued this foam gasket material to really jack up the paint and make things permanent, leaving little hope of ever re-using it.

Oh...the left side used 2 hex bolts...

...while they went with 2 Phillips screws on the right. Probably to optimize weight distribution while cornering.

Wires for the brake lights. I actually never checked to see if they worked.

Also removed the trim to save time at the body shop (read: to prevent them from breaking the clips).

I dropped off the car this morning along with the OEM lip to be paint-matched. Should have it back in a week.

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      I think this is the second time you've used this reference (that I know of), I lol'd anyways because I recently watched the episode of Drunk History that covered it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast