Cruise control is weird. who really uses it?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Cruise control is weird. who really uses it?

Granted I live in LA there aren't a loot of great opportunities to ever use it...however even on long road trips with no one on the road, it feels really weird using it. I naturally keep my foot above the gas/break pedal just in case i need to use them so i don't really see the point of using CC if my feet are already there.

People who do use it, do you just rest your feet like you are sitting in a chair?

Am i crazy?

I use it daily on my commute (35 miles/each way). I just rest my foot on the pedal as long as I don't actually press down it don't speed up. If I don't use it I catch myself speeding a lot. My car just really likes to cruise at 80mph..

If everybody picked a speed and stuck with it (cruise control), traffic would flow MUCH better, and I would probably crave alcohol less after work.
      You never use cruise?
      F##k you and the rolling roadblock you rode in on.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

Yes, I wouldn't own a car without it.

Have it, never use it. Ever.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

I use Cruise control whenever I can.
      It drives me up the wall when I'm behind someone that is obviously not using their CC and their speed keeps wavering for no reason.

Set it and forget it*

G

*Well don't really forget it, but you know what I mean.
      I am █ ♣ █ Army

RIP Warrant Officer Gaetan Roberge. KIA, 27 Dec 2008, Panjwaii Dist, Afghanistan.

I use mine on almost every non-commuting highway trip I do.

If traffic dictates that I hover over the pedals to feel safe... it's not safe for cruise control.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon - YouTube Track Videos - flickr
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

I only like to use it on manuels, I can't stand when autos are constantly downshifting at hills because it falls behind and can't anticipate it. If I know it's going to be flat for a while and I'm on a road trip I will use it.

The new adaptive cruise control is the best. It does not maintain a fixed speed under all circumstances. It varies your speed based on traffic ahead of you. If you set @ 70 and the guy in front is going 65, your speed gets reduced to 65 until it's safe to go faster.
      RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      I use it when I can drive mostly uninterrupted. Long interstate stretches are boring, and when I'm not near traffic, it's better to delegate some of the control over to HAL.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      If everybody picked a speed and stuck with it (cruise control), traffic would flow MUCH better, and I would probably crave alcohol less after work.
      You never use cruise?
      F##k you and the rolling roadblock you rode in on.
      This. So much this.

I use it on long freeway trips. The system works really well on my Focus. My E36 didn't have it and it was OK for about 2 hours. Then you needed to stretch or move your leg from the uncomfortable seats and then you were screwed. Trying to hold the throttle with your left leg while trying to stretch your right was ugly, at best.

I've driven from MSP-MEM numerous times in one day. 13 hours and over 800 miles. That sucks without cruise control.
      Last edited by E365; 03-29-2017 at 02:41 PM.

All the time on road trips. When highways around here look like this:

...cruise control is your friend.
      08 c30 | 10 xc70 | seventwosix

I love the adaptive cruise control on our vehicles and makes longer road trips so much more tolerable .... and safe.
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i - 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
      **GONE VW #DasPolluter 2013 JSW TDI Oo>=====v=====<oO 2011 Kia Optima SX(Turbo)/2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4/2011 JSW TDI/2006 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 V8/2001 Focus wagon/2001 Ford Escape/97 Jetta GT

I use it all the time. Whenever I leave town, its miles and miles of straight, flat road (for the most part).

People that don't use cruise on the interstate drive me crazy. I've already seen your car once, no need to see it again thanks.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

It would be an impossibility to use this regularly on highways around me in CT/NY, but during long road trips where highway traffic allows, I absolutely use it.

Quote Originally Posted by badsmell View Post
      Granted I live in LA there aren't a loot of great opportunities to ever use it...however even on long road trips with no one on the road, it feels really weird using it. I naturally keep my foot above the gas/break pedal just in case i need to use them so i don't really see the point of using CC if my feet are already there.

People who do use it, do you just rest your feet like you are sitting in a chair?

Am i crazy?
      You tend to use it a lot less in congested areas. I don't have cruise control on any of my cars, but Mrs McMike does. I can't tell you the last time we used it. You have to get many, many miles out of the DC area to be able to set it and forget it.

However, I have it on my motorcycle and it's ****ing fantastic. I'll set it for 3-5 minutes sometimes just to give my right hand a rest, or if I need to zip a zipper or take a selfie.

I use it almost every time I'm on the highway, not much traffic up here in the sticks.

my commute contains a 20mi relatively straight stretch of 70mph interstate. I use CC everyday, twice a day. Set it to 74, get in the right lane, start audiobook.

Quote Originally Posted by 16volt
      The 930 is car equivalent of that guy who says "hold my beer, watch this"

Quote Originally Posted by D_B_Jetta View Post
      I use Cruise control whenever I can.
      Same, even if I only activate it for 30 seconds on a surface street. It's a huge safety feature, IMO. I get up to the speed limit (or whatever the appropriate safe speed is for the road conditions), hit cruise control and them I'm 100% focused on looking outside the car. I never have to be looking at the gauge cluster at all after that, I'm completely focused on scanning the road ahead with the comfort of knowing I'm not going too fast nor becoming a rolling road block by going too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      You tend to use it a lot less in congested areas. I don't have cruise control on any of my cars, but Mrs McMike does. I can't tell you the last time we used it. You have to get many, many miles out of the DC area to be able to set it and forget it.

However, I have it on my motorcycle and it's ****ing fantastic. I'll set it for 3-5 minutes sometimes just to give my right hand a rest, or if I need to zip a zipper or take a selfie.
      Triggered.

/'tubby

Quote Originally Posted by cwescapexlt4x4 View Post
      I love the adaptive cruise control on our vehicles and makes longer road trips so much more tolerable .... and safe.
      this. Driving down to FL in the winter, I set the adaptive cruise to 80. One part I went 45 minutes without having to touch it. it got me 22.5 MPGs out of a V8 too!

I use it all the time for empty freeway driving. What I really want is the stop and go adaptive cruise control.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladecatcher View Post
      Triggered.

if you want to nerd out a tiny bit:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/bkph/art...E_ITS_2013.pdf

I use it often, but more to control my own foot. i find myself much less aggressive and trying to "win" while on cruise in the wifes Jeep.

Jackie, on the other hand, is easy to keep consistent speeds in and gives me no desire to move fast.
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho
      Before you take the tact of denigrating a group, you should empathize with the situation/history and understand the facts. It might not make for great debate on forums, but it helps with personal awareness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast