Jag IRS widening.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jag IRS widening.

I have started putting my project truck back together as work is slow, and have been playing with ideas I need to finalize.

I have a Ford 8.8 under it now, but it is to narrow. So my original plan was to put spacers for the right wheel fitment, and save for my too wide of a 8.8 to get built. After I get some seat time to see what I want to do with my gearing.

I have a Jag IRS, but it needs to be wider to work. So do any of you guys know anyone in the LA area who could do such a feat? One place I got a few recommendations for said they only narrow them.

Worst case I could do the work myself, but I rather have a pro with a proper jig do it.
      Focus ST which stands for Suspension Technologies.

That means it does things magically. In such ways I can not describe, but it is better in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Spatzle View Post
      I have started putting my project truck back together as work is slow, and have been playing with ideas I need to finalize.

I have a Ford 8.8 under it now, but it is to narrow. So my original plan was to put spacers for the right wheel fitment, and save for my too wide of a 8.8 to get built. After I get some seat time to see what I want to do with my gearing.

I have a Jag IRS, but it needs to be wider to work. So do any of you guys know anyone in the LA area who could do such a feat? One place I got a few recommendations for said they only narrow them.

Worst case I could do the work myself, but I rather have a pro with a proper jig do it.
      honestly, id try and get ahold of Mike who runs stanceworks, i know he put a lot of work into his current iteration of Rusty-Slammington to make it the crazy DTM-inspired car it is, as well at that model-t (iirc) truck with the BMW motor... I'm sure he needed some custom rear end work, and i know they are in Cali, so maybe he could point you in the right direction...
      /| OMGHAI |\

What about an MN12 Super Coupe IRS? That's an 8.8 already, not sure exactly what the track worth is but certainly wider than an old Jag I'm assuming. All SCs had Traktion Lok LSDs except 94-95 (stupid TCS). I assume some of the V8 birds had LSD too, and likely most all of the Lincoln MKVIIIs did too. The Lincolns had mostly aluminum components too, compared to the Tbirds. They were sought after in the MN12 circle.

One issue is this, Tbirds were a smaller bolt pattern than Mustangs and I assume light duty trucks.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

There are a few reasons why I will not do the swap.
      1. It is too narrow itself, and yes but have used it too. They just used custom rims in the back. I want to be able to use cheap, and common Mustang rims.

2. My frame was not modified to accommodate this rear end. So I am not up to modifying my modifications on this truck anymore. I went through enough, and just need to get it moving under its own power.

3. I do not have the time.

4. Parts for the rear end are quite expensive besides the center section, and it is kind of limited.

Other then that it is a very good rear end, but would require to much at this late stage.

That means it does things magically. In such ways I can not describe, but it is better in every way.

It was just a thought. There should be a couple companies that specialize in this, the E type units seemed to be pretty popular for hot rodders. Were. It seems odd that a variety of widths wouldn't be available.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Why not grab an IRS from and Expedition?

I'm by no means an expert but didn't Jag IRS come in different widths. Not sure what you have but, could it be as simple as swapping out the half axles to longer ones?
      RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      Why not grab an IRS from and Expedition?
      To bulky, and no support.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      I'm by no means an expert but didn't Jag IRS come in different widths. Not sure what you have but, could it be as simple as swapping out the half axles to longer ones?
      You can do that to shorten certain models, and widen models. I just already have the widest model.

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      It was just a thought. There should be a couple companies that specialize in this, the E type units seemed to be pretty popular for hot rodders. Were. It seems odd that a variety of widths wouldn't be available.
      Factory widths only vary by a couple inches, and the hot rod/cobra guys narrow them. Found a few shops to do that. Called a couple and they were not interested in widening mine.

The half shafts are easy to get, and most any drive shaft company will take my money here.

My issue is the lower arm, and machining a center tube.

been a while since I looked at a jag IRS. to me it seems relatively simple to do if you know a guy with a lathe? cut the lower arm, get spacer turned on lathe, weld that mess together.

I highly doubt the steel is anything exotic so there shouldn't be a need for any elaborate weld treatment. It sounds like you're handy with a welder already? I wouldn't be to anxious about tackling this. I would think it's quite doable. as for a jig, I bet you could make one outta lumber cuz you're only doing 2, not a production run.... it's also a fairly "dumb" part, no need to get the length within .005" tolerance!

How much wider?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      signatures are annoying, right?

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      How much wider?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      Rough measurements say 2 inches per side. I won't make any final decisions till I have wheel, and tire package together.

It has a 8.8 under right now for rolling purposes that is to narrow, and I have another 8.8 that is too wide. Which will be custom built at end of project if all else fails.

Quote Originally Posted by boner View Post
      been a while since I looked at a jag IRS. to me it seems relatively simple to do if you know a guy with a lathe? cut the lower arm, get spacer turned on lathe, weld that mess together.

I highly doubt the steel is anything exotic so there shouldn't be a need for any elaborate weld treatment. It sounds like you're handy with a welder already? I wouldn't be to anxious about tackling this. I would think it's quite doable. as for a jig, I bet you could make one outta lumber cuz you're only doing 2, not a production run.... it's also a fairly "dumb" part, no need to get the length within .005" tolerance!
      This. The reason the shops around you don't want to do it isn't because the work is complex, it's because they don't want the potential liability with the widening work, and they don't want to have to figure out the implications of the geometry. You're just talking about extending a couple of driveshafts and some steel tubes, it's actually a much simpler job than trying to widen an old cast-iron solid axle housing.

Figure out the amount each component needs to 'grow, then talk to a driveshaft shop about lengthening your driveshafts by the necessary amounts, and check with a welding shop about extending the "lower control arms" a bit with some extra tube. Don't ask for 'widening the rear axle' and you might get different answers. I'd also look at shops that work with semi trucks and other heavy equipment - driveshaft work is common and they'll be less scared of it.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by boner View Post

The only issue I would have is my Mig is a 110V, and for this I would need a 220V for proper penetration. Multi pass welding would not be ideal for this type of work.

how thick is the wall on the lower arms? I would be surprised you couldn't max out the welder n go. I managed to do my car hauler with mine. 3/16", got full penetration with patience and fiddling with the settings. granted I've got a 20a 110v unit. I would be surprised if the wall of those tubes is that thick! you could also dig around your local classifieds n find a guy who'll weld it up I bet. just tack it together n bring it to them to finish up?

I have read near 1/4 inch on the tubes, and the ends of the arms are forged. So they are solid. From my basic welding classes I have taken solid material needs more heat as it will absorb more this reducing weld effectiveness or penetration. Used Arc machines are cheap, and that is what I would buy for a quicky job. Then save the money for a 220V machine I have been dreaming of.

My Miller is rated to 3/16th of a inch. I could use rosette welds in 4 spots on each stub to gain back strength, but it does run the risk of warping the shaft.

Either way this weekend I will take a extra set of arms, and cut them open to investigate. Plus begin to process them for eventual widening.

While messing around on my lunch break I found two shops to do the work. Unfortunately they say it will cost $1500-$2000 for the procedure. This is only the drive shafts, and lower arms. Also before I have the center section rebuilt with a posi.

I can buy the chromoly 1/4 wall tube I need for about $100, and my dad has a friend who knows how to machine stuff. He is disabled, and thus is a bit slow. But his quality of work is high. So I will have to get stuff prepped for him to work his magic on. Then hopefully get it back within a couple months. He has a business he tends too making stuff for model T's.

Cobra IRS wont work either for what you are doing? Support is huge with them and mustang friendly. I am trying to think what 8.8 you have that it is too narrow. is it out of a ranger or a fox or what? All mustang 8.8 stock housings are the same size just they changed the axle lengths/ brake hardware to go wider. Im sorry for shooting in the dark but what are we working on and what parts came from?
      Quote Originally Posted by 04_GLI_ View Post
      Yeah still drove it home bout 60 miles. Didn't know it was a broken timming belt, drove fine just made a lil noise.

I saw a wheeler dealers episode where Edd narrows out a Jag rear in a cobra kit car.
      http://www.motoringbox.com/cars/ente...douglas-cobra/

Not sure if that helps you any, I'm wondering if you could reverse his process and end up wider...

Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      I saw a wheeler dealers episode where Edd narrows out a Jag rear in a cobra kit car.
      http://www.motoringbox.com/cars/ente...douglas-cobra/

Not sure if that helps you any, I'm wondering if you could reverse his process and end up wider...
      Edd used narrower factory parts to accomplish this. OP said he already has the widest factory Jag IRS.
      1986 3.2 Carrera Mini-build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-build-thread/
      1973 Pro-Touring Camaro build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...8-build-thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_VR6 View Post
      Cobra IRS wont work either for what you are doing? Support is huge with them and mustang friendly. I am trying to think what 8.8 you have that it is too narrow. is it out of a ranger or a fox or what? All mustang 8.8 stock housings are the same size just they changed the axle lengths/ brake hardware to go wider. Im sorry for shooting in the dark but what are we working on and what parts came from?
      My to narrow 8.8 came out of 97 Crown Vic.

The too wide one came out of a 2005 Crown​ Vic. Which is what matched my Crown Vic front cross member.it hits the inner sides of the bed by about 1/8 inch with narrow 235/60/16 tires.

The Cobra assembly would require me to redo too much at this late stage. If I planned for it then it would of been alright, but it doesn't match the front track width of the CV.

The Jag is stupid simple, and I could be done in a afternoon.

The above means I have my final rim, and tire package for accurate measurements.

Maybe do some reading?
      http://team321.com/truckirs/truckirs.html

It uses the TBird rear end. You can get coils, shocks, and it is an 8.8.

Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      Maybe do some reading?
      http://team321.com/truckirs/truckirs.html

It uses the TBird rear end. You can get coils, shocks, and it is an 8.8.
      Still to narrow. The rear end is too narrow. As in not as wide as my front end. Because it is too narrow.

Do not want to change the frame again, modify my modifications, not enough time, need truck on the road, and the jag is simple for what I have already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 91gti20v View Post
      Edd used narrower factory parts to accomplish this. OP said he already has the widest factory Jag IRS.
      I missed that.

The only issue I would have is my Mig is a 110V, and for this I would need a 220V for proper penetration. Multi pass welding would not be ideal for this type of work.
      Your 110v mig can probably burn 1/4" with .035 flux core.
      The lower control arms in my POS are welded with a 110v flux core machine.

This is only the drive shafts, and lower arms. Also before I have the center section rebuilt with a posi.
      Make your driveshaft with the 110v mig too. And a battery drill. Are your shafts dual CV or single cardan?
      http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/di...shaft-1540355/

Also. Can you maybe just space the driveshaft at the flange yoke? How much longer does it have to be? I'm pretty sure you can get a milled 1" flange yoke spacer for less than a hundred bucks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast