Buying a grey market car before it's legal in USA
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Buying a grey market car before it's legal in USA

There is a car in Canada that is being offered up for a very good price but it will only be legal in USA in March 2019.

The guy is very known in the community and offers free heated garage storage for USA buyers until March 2019. There would be a bill of sale made out to me if I purchase the car but the car would stay in Canada. I can and would fly out and drive it in Canada.(temp tag and insurance)

Is this to much of a risk? I am looking at purchasing insurance for the car(how though?). The guy is offering to continue paying for the theft and fire insurance on the car until March 2019.

Anyone have some information that can help me? Basically, how can I protect myself and insure the purchase until it becomes legal in USA.

Debating if this is worth it.

Why is he selling now instead of waiting for the eve of 2019 and trying to cash on on the hype of a soon to be exempt car?
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Why is he selling now instead of waiting for the eve of 2019 and trying to cash on on the hype of a soon to be exempt car?
      Problem in family. At least thats whats said.

Vague post is vague.

Why not share the make/model?

Is it a skyline? Is it this guy?

If yes, - he does have some problems....run...run....run away!

Couldn't you just bring it home and store it until March of 2019? I don't think I would be comfortable keeping a car I owned that far out of my reach for long.

Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      Problem in family. At least thats whats said.
      Run away. Fast.

RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

Could be perfectly legit... that said, fraud exists in Canada too.

Quote Originally Posted by madrussian View Post
      Vague post is vague.

I think that's key to whether or not it's worth it. March 2019 (2 years!) means a March 1994 build. R32 GT-R V.Spec II?

Anyway, you can keep it in my garage for the nominal fee of me being able to drive it in the meantime

Quote Originally Posted by madrussian View Post
      Vague post is vague.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Toyota-...ZY10Rw&vxp=mtr

Last edited by pawa_k2001; 03-31-2017 at 02:20 PM.

If the seller seems legit, I wouldn't worry too much about it, so long as its insured. Importers are offering the same exact service, so you can also buy from them and have it stored at their facility. I'm guessing the Canadian car is much cheaper but it may also be in a poorer condition, given that it's probably been in Canada for almost a decade and has been exposed to some terrible Canadian weather . Also, by buying a car that hasn't yet hit the 25 year mark, you're not subject to the Japanese auction price bump that eligible cars tend to experience.

http://www.japan-partner.com/read/ca...e-service.html

Our customers from USA can purchase a vehicle from Japan Partner Inc. that hasn't reached its 25 years to be legally imported into USA and store it for free for 1 (one) year. When buying 25-year old car beforehand you can get a cheaper price and wider range of selection: grades, mileage, condition.
      Our pricing for the second and futher years of storage is $600 per year.
      Basic storage services inlcudes turning on egnition each 3 months to run for 30 minutes, switching clutch.
      http://jdm-expo.com/content/17-jdm-services

Vehicle Storage / Maintenance Facilities

- We offer a car storage service for our customers up to 3 month period at free of charge. For longer period usage, our rates start as low as 25 USD per month. We have 6 different storage facilities located around Nagoya and greater Aichi area all at close driving distance to Nagoya Port. To maintain high level of security and to prevent the entrance of unauthorized individuals, our storage facilities are surrounded with fence and surveillance cameras, and protected with laser pointed signalization system and 24/7 private security company guards. At the request of our customers, we also provide car maintenance checks and services.
      https://www.gtr-garage.com/pages/the-purchase-process

Vehicles that need to be stored short or long term must be transported to our facility in Iwakuni and will incur a $100 per month storage fee.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Based on your history of well chosen cars, it must be something good.

As someone mentioned, do laws prevent from the car being purchased and stored here in the states? I guess the issue becomes if something happens and the car is not insured? I have not looked into the details for the 25 year cars.
      Last edited by Hufeisen; 03-31-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      Based on your history of well chosen cars, it must be something good.

As someone mentioned, do laws prevent from the car being purchased and stored here in the states? I guess the issue becomes if something happens and the car is not insured? I have not looked into the details for the 25 year cars.
      It's a Celica.

Well, a GT-Four, WRC homologation edition. Not my favorite rally car(rather have Integrale Evo 2 but $50k) but an affordable option to have a homologation car in the garage. Would love to try make it into a replica of the racecar.(vinyl stickers livery, wheels, mudflaps, no destroyed panels)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Toyota-...ZY10Rw&vxp=mtr

not sure how it works, but have you looked into maybe creating Canada LLC? and then register car to your new business, tag it, insure it, and just drive over to US and store it here?

Do it. Love those Celica's always wish I had bought one before moving to the US. Also wanted a Carlos Sainz edition but that never happened either, although those I think might be legal to import now. I am sure you realize your video is a different generation to the eBay link?
      Last edited by naiku; 03-31-2017 at 04:23 PM.

It's a Celica.
      Good grief.. I don't know how I missed your clue.. Others are giving good feedback to get it here.. do it

What is the price range on these things?

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      Do it. Love those Celica's always wish I had bought one before moving to the US. Also wanted a Carlos Sainz edition but that never happened either, although those I think might be legal to import now. I am sure you realize your video is a different generation to the eBay link?
      ST185 CS is legal already, found one for $13,500 in the states. Yea, the video is ST185, from what I have read, ST205 is a better drivers car but their superstrut suspension is stupid expensive to replace.(the guy selling already replaced everything)

Quote Originally Posted by romanl View Post
      not sure how it works, but have you looked into maybe creating Canada LLC? and then register car to your new business, tag it, insure it, and just drive over to US and store it here?
      I can probably get it into USA and store it with a bill of sale. Next question would be getting import papers done when car is already in USA.(when 2019 rolls around) There may be questions to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      Good grief.. I don't know how I missed your clue.. Others are giving good feedback to get it here.. do it

What is the price range on these things?
      They can be found in Japan starting at $5000(on the lowest end). Import is illegal until 2019 but import usually runs around $5000. The current auction is at $7500(reserve not met) with free storage until 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Could be perfectly legit... that said, fraud exists in Canada too.
      But fraud is not courteous.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

"I am JIMP."

Where there is a will there is a way. My brother has an imported 2001 Audi S3. Got from a guy in Colorado who got it up from Mexico. Car had a Colorado Title so we called NYS dmv asking how it is to register and they told us as long as it has a US issued title there would be no issues. This in fact was true. car got shipped to NY, my bro went to the DMV and got it registered no questions asked.

I would call a collector car/special interest insurance company like Grundy or Haggerty and see what they say about insuring it. If you can get it insured and call your state dmv stating the car has insurance they might give you info as to maybe registering it as a classic being its a 94
      DUB CULT l ESAD l S6 V8 6speed swapped B5 A4 l PVW Nov 2016
      #hardlinesbyswoops #swoopsbuilt IG mr__pq

Quote Originally Posted by P Q View Post
      Where there is a will there is a way. My brother has an imported 2001 Audi S3. Got from a guy in Colorado who got it up from Mexico. Car had a Colorado Title so we called NYS dmv asking how it is to register and they told us as long as it has a US issued title there would be no issues. This in fact was true. car got shipped to NY, my bro went to the DMV and got it registered no questions asked.

I would call a collector car/special interest insurance company like Grundy or Haggerty and see what they say about insuring it. If you can get it insured and call your state dmv stating the car has insurance they might give you info as to maybe registering it as a classic being its a 94
      At the end of the day, the S3 is federally illegal though and if the Feds wanted to, they could come seize it at any time. That said, we both know that won't ever happen since it's not something like a GTR and can easily fly under the radar a lot better
      The Car Lounge summed up

Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      lots of people who post on this forum are not car OR driving enthusiasts. they just come here and post tirades/smarmy comebacks

Flickr™
      DubCult.

It's a Celica.

i was hoping that it would be a porsche 959, although that would be crushed the moment it crossed the border

just found it the 959 would not need to be crushed if it were crippled with 1980's style emissions gear.
      Last edited by lcubed; 03-31-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lcubed View Post
      i was hoping that it would be a porsche 959, although that would be crushed the moment it crossed the border
      Why? Plenty of 959s in the US and the entire Show and Display provision exists bc of that car
      The Car Lounge summed up

Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      lots of people who post on this forum are not car OR driving enthusiasts. they just come here and post tirades/smarmy comebacks

Flickr™
      DubCult.

ST185 CS is legal already, found one for $13,500 in the states. Yea, the video is ST185, from what I have read, ST205 is a better drivers car but their superstrut suspension is stupid expensive to replace.(the guy selling already replaced everything)
      If I had to pick the ST205 is the nicer looking car as well. Had to look up the superstrut suspension, yep that does look expensive!! I am with you on wanting an Integrale as well, but the price of them puts them way out of fun car budget for me and I would rather spend that $50k on something like a 991 if I were in that price range.

Good luck on possibly grabbing this one.

I can probably get it into USA and store it with a bill of sale. Next question would be getting import papers done when car is already in USA.(when 2019 rolls around) There may be questions to answer.
      Don't do this. The legal aspect happens upon entry, when you declare the car on the DOT HS-7 form. If it's already in the US illegally, there's no way to bring it back to legality.

The forms you'll need:

HS-7 form, Box 1: https://help.cbp.gov/ci/fattach/get/...+Form+HS-7.pdf

EPA 3520-1: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...nts/3520-1.pdf
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?