2018 Nissan 370Z Heritage Edition revealed in New York - Celebrates the Z's 50th Anniversary - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      A totally new Z is a few years off, still.
      A few years off, really? As a pretty big fan of the Z, competition already wipes the floor with it in nearly every regard, so Nissan needs to get crackin'.

A few relevant quotes from Autocar's interview with the retiring chief designer https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...shiro-nakamura

Nissan’s chief designer, Shiro Nakamura, who styled hugely significant cars including the GT-R, Qashqai, 350Z, Juke, Leaf and Cube, retired in March after 17 years with the manufacturer.

Nakamura has been replaced by Alfonso Albaisa, Infiniti’s previous head of design, with ex-BMW design chief Karim Habib taking Albaisa’s role.

Nakamura, 66, was brought to Nissan by Carlos Ghosn. The firm soon underwent a remarkable turnaround, going from the brink of bankruptcy to huge sales successes, among them the Qashqai, which sparked the crossover boom. In recent years, Nakamura has overseen all kinds of projects, from the super-budget Datsun brand to more experimental work with Nissan’s flagship Infiniti marque.

Nakamura’s replacement, Albaisa, joined Infiniti in 2013 and designed the QX30 and QX50, as well as the Q80 Inspiration concept car. We caught up with Nakamura at the Geneva motor show, where he revealed details of many of the projects he’ll be handing over to his successor.

Is a replacement for the GT-R planned?

“The GT-R is like a Porsche 911, it’s an evolution. Change for change’s sake doesn’t make sense. A new one has to be better. We make progress with it each year. This year’s version had a bigger change inside and out. We’ll continue improving every aspect. If we see the limit of improving, maybe then we will have a complete renewal. All models are selling well and we have good back orders. It’s not ageing, not in seven years.”

What will the next Z car be?

“Z is another asset we have, a strong asset. At the same time, it’s not easy to find a proper concept. Two-seaters are really challenging and are not a big market except for Porsche. If we do a new Z, we have to do something new. Of course, we always do studies, because it’s fun, but not serious studies [of a Z]. There are no plans to communicate anything.”
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      That treatment is delightfully 1970s looking. I like it.

The 370Z looks much better with that red reflector where the 'anus' used to be.

No lie, it's actually a rear fog light. Fully functioning. I think it's the only Asian car sold in NA to have one.
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Is a replacement for the GT-R planned?

“The GT-R is like a Porsche 911, it’s an evolution. Change for change’s sake doesn’t make sense. A new one has to be better. We make progress with it each year. This year’s version had a bigger change inside and out. We’ll continue improving every aspect. If we see the limit of improving, maybe then we will have a complete renewal. All models are selling well and we have good back orders. It’s not ageing, not in seven years.”

“Z is another asset we have, a strong asset. At the same time, it’s not easy to find a proper concept. Two-seaters are really challenging and are not a big market except for Porsche. If we do a new Z, we have to do something new. Of course, we always do studies, because it’s fun, but not serious studies [of a Z]. There are no plans to communicate anything.”
      It would be nice if they did something about the GTR's looks already. I do prefer them over the last generation but the best way to put it is the styling looks chaotic on it. The best I can say about it is at least it appears to have its own unique identity.

The Z would be nice if its shape became more similar to the 240Z. It's not because I long for the 240Z as much as the Z just has a bulgy look to that gives me the impression it could use liposuction.
      I SUPPORT ROZAPS CUZ I CAN'T POSSIBLY VIEW EVERY THREAD ON THIS BOARD

They tried making the interior so plain it's actually boring

Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      the Z just has a bulgy look to that gives me the impression it could use liposuction.
      That or at least add some cellulite around the hip area of the car so that it will at the very least speak more authentically to its design language.

Nissan ****ing sucks. What a horrible "celebration."

Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
      Nissan ****ing sucks. What a horrible "celebration."
      Exactly my thoughts. Swing and a miss again. You suck nissan.

Probably most here will disagree, but my favorite Z is still the 90s Z32. It came out when I was in high school, and it's hard to describe how sleek and futuristic it looked compared to all of the boxy 80s cars rolling around at the time. It really stood out and looked exotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post
      Probably most here will disagree, but my favorite Z is still the 90s Z32. It came out when I was in high school, and it's hard to describe how sleek and futuristic it looked compared to all of the boxy 80s cars rolling around at the time. It really stood out and looked exotic.

always loved this car
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Well, at least the radio looks like its from 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      always loved this car
      Usually when I see one on the road now, they look beat to death by flat-billers.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Usually when I see one on the road now, they look beat to death by flat-billers.
      i think part of my attachment is how rare they were here in Ottawa, even when they were brand new you didn't see them very often.
      i can't even remember the last time i saw one in the wild
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Blog Entries
      To be fair, with the GT-R, Nissan has done a tone of tweaks over the years, and performance wise, it blows the first R35 out of the water.
      The fact that Nissan can continue to tweak it every couple years and make it perform better in every measurable category has stumped the entirely of the automotive press.
      Sure, it isn't as polished as the 911 Turbo, nor the NSX, but it comes in cheaper. 99% of the performance for 85% of the money.

I think Nissan can take a similar approach with the Z, albeit once it sees a complete refresh. I have always liked the styling, althought the interior is a bit cramped.
      If the redesign can turn it into a 2+2 to make it a touch more functional and more of a budget 911, rather than a budget Cayman, I think it would sell better.

PS: Despite Subaru running the same EJ 2.5L motor in the STI for 15yrs, it still manages to beat the competition. And so what if the STI has little refinement - that's the point!!
      Subaru is growing rapidly as it is - let's let them make the STI their version of a 911R. Since when do we want the performance versions of anything to be so refined?
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up

Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      To be fair, with the GT-R, Nissan has done a tone of tweaks over the years, and performance wise, it blows the first R35 out of the water.
      The fact that Nissan can continue to tweak it every couple years and make it perform better in every measurable category has stumped the entirely of the automotive press.
      Sure, it isn't as polished as the 911 Turbo, nor the NSX, but it comes in cheaper. 99% of the performance for 85% of the money.

I think Nissan can take a similar approach with the Z, albeit once it sees a complete refresh. I have always liked the styling, althought the interior is a bit cramped.
      If the redesign can turn it into a 2+2 to make it a touch more functional and more of a budget 911, rather than a budget Cayman, I think it would sell better.

PS: Despite Subaru running the same EJ 2.5L motor in the STI for 15yrs, it still manages to beat the competition. And so what if the STI has little refinement - that's the point!!
      Subaru is growing rapidly as it is - let's let them make the STI their version of a 911R. Since when do we want the performance versions of anything to be so refined?
      What competition does the STI have though? What other high performance 300HP 4 door sedan is available in that price bracket? Besides a now dead Evo. Yes, there's a Focus RS and Golf R, but both are hatches and there are still many averse to that. Whereas the Z clearly has competitors in both the Mustang and Camaro is terms of performance/handling, and the BRZ, Genesis Coupe, and Challenger in terms of price bracket.

I like how they didn't put 30" wheels on it. Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      You have 2 generations of Mustang posted there.
      Technically those are all S197, although the 2011+ cars are significantly different, yes.
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      FTFY
      2013 was a minor facelift at best. The biggest change really was the addition of Recaros ( wish I had them).
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by IgorRGTI View Post
      What competition does the STI have though? What other high performance 300HP 4 door sedan is available in that price bracket? Besides a now dead Evo. Yes, there's a Focus RS and Golf R, but both are hatches and there are still many averse to that. Whereas the Z clearly has competitors in both the Mustang and Camaro is terms of performance/handling, and the BRZ, Genesis Coupe, and Challenger in terms of price bracket.
      BMW 340i xDrive can be had in stick, but is spitting distance from $60k.
      Mercedes C43 can be had in AWD, but auto only and again $60k.
      I know these aren't cross-shopped with an STI, but when you get so much performance for your dollar, then you have to line up with other vehicles that cost more on the basis of refinement and luxury. Same with the GT-R.

The STI is still a relative performance bargain...PERFORMANCE bargain...and as mentioned, is a halo vehicle of sorts for the fastest growing manufacturer. They don't need it for anything else other than marketing. And if the Trump administration gets its way, they won't even have to worry about the EPA regulations.

Merc and Porsche are able to produce their silly performance models because of money earned and EPA quotas met through selling the plain-jane models. Not to mention Porsche doesn't have THAT much to worry about being part of VAG.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up

Pretty sure I read that a concept for the next gen Z will make an appearance at the Tokyo Auto Show later this year.

Reportedly a 500hp hybrid using the Q50RS 3.0TT.
      Last edited by 1990MoneyPit; 04-06-2017 at 10:58 AM.
      Previous Cars: 1990 Acura Integra GS, 1997 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT, 2008.5 MazdaSpeed3 GT

Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IgorRGTI View Post
      Well, I think that's just it- the STI gets away without powertrain updates because its still competitive in its segment (performance sedans). The 370z is no longer competitive among 2-door sport coupes. Even if you compare with the hot hatches, they have only just surpassed STI in terms of performance in the last two years, and the STI still runs very close to the RS/GolfR in most performance metrics. Meanwhile, the Mustang GT and Camaro SS now solidly outperform the Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      2013 was a minor facelift at best. The biggest change really was the addition of Recaros ( wish I had them).
      I wouldn't really call it minor, for the GT:

-New hood
      -New front bumper
      -New, smaller fog light housings that are LED
      -New headlights with DRLs
      -New rear bumper
      -New blacked out decklid panel
      -New tail lights
      -New rocker panels
      -Audio system upgraded
      -Addition of pony projector puddle lamps in side mirrors
      -Addition of hi-res color MFI and track apps
      -New gauge cluster (gauges were again tweaked in 2014 also to make them easier to read)
      -Addition of Recaros
      -HP bump from 412 to 420

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head (and also ignoring stuff like wheel/color changes), I'm sure there are other things. That's a pretty substantial second refresh IMO, especially since it was all done knowing it was just for the final two model years.

Meh, let's be honest, even though there were quite a few changes between 350Z and 370Z, the basic look, overall platform, and engine has been basically unchanged since 2002. Still the FM platform. Still a VQ derivative engine. The dash layout is similar.

The reason that it seems like it's been around for 50 years, is that it's been pretty constant, with very similar styling, since George W. Bush was in his first term.

That being said, I like this iteration. Drops some of the extreme boy-racerishness for a smooth package.

DCIVW
      CE.

They still make this? It hasn't gotten better with age, that's for sure. Yuk.
      "This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
      Sterling Mallory Archer

Just stop making these already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the saddest 50th Anniversary edition I had ever seen. Even their POS Sentra NISMO has more enhancements than this. This ****ty 50th Anniversary is as sh!t as the Rouge One Star War Edition

http://www.nissan.ca/en/crossovers/r...mited-edition/

This is what I call corporate BS. The whole paragraph has full of excuses. Nissan had fxxking $$ for Juke-R and making changes for GTR for every year but not a single thing to "a strong asset" like Z!? I hope this car die if Nissan continue let it rot like that.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Quote Originally Posted by candy11 View Post
      Just stop making these already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Not singling you out, but I find it sad that we're calling for the demise of a 7,600rpm naturally aspirated V6, RWD sports car equipped with a (defeatable) rev-matching 6MT, limited slip differential, and hydraulic steering. Not that it isn't long in the tooth and outperformed by many, but that old school recipe is pined for by many in our current era of forced induction fours, electric steering, and brake-based torque vectoring systems.
      Previous Cars: 1990 Acura Integra GS, 1997 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT, 2008.5 MazdaSpeed3 GT

Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast