2018 Chevrolet Tahoe RST special edition revealed - Available with a new Performance Package that brings a 6.2-liter V8 mated to a 10-speed auto, other performance mods
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

2018 Chevrolet Tahoe RST special edition revealed - Available with a new Performance Package that brings a 6.2-liter V8 mated to a 10-speed auto, other performance mods

Pretty rad! There is also a Suburban RST, but that is just appearance stuff.

RST Special Edition Brings Street Look and Power to the New Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban

Tahoe RST available with 6.2L V-8, 10-speed automatic transmission and Magnetic Ride Control

DETROIT — Today, Chevy introduced a new special edition for the Tahoe and Suburban: the street-performance Rally Sport Truck, or RST. The Tahoe RST will also be available with a new Performance Package that includes a 420-hp, 6.2L V-8 engine; Magnetic Ride Control with performance calibration; and an all-new Hydra-Matic 10L80 10-speed automatic transmission.

“Chevrolet has continually invested in Tahoe and Suburban, developing models with varying combinations of capability, technology and performance to meet the needs of different customers,” said Sandor Piszar, Chevrolet Truck Marketing director. “The RST is designed for customers who want a street performance look without sacrificing capability or refinement, along with the option of increased performance as well.”

RST will be available on Tahoe and Suburban models in the fall of 2017. Inspired by aftermarket trends, virtually all chrome trim has been eliminated for a street performance appearance. Changes include body-color grille surround and door handles; gloss-black grille and mirror caps; black roof rails, window trim, badging and Chevy bowties. RST also includes exclusive 22-inch wheels wrapped in Bridgestone P285/45R 22 tires.

Available upgrades for Tahoe and Suburban RST include a Borla performance exhaust system that offers a 28 percent improvement in exhaust flow, for a 7-10-horsepower gain at the rear wheels. An available brake package features massive front red Brembo six-piston, fixed aluminum calipers with brake pads clamping on larger-than-stock 410 x 32mm (16.1 inch x 1.3 inch) Duralife rotors coupled with a 84 percent increase in brake pad area and a 42 percent increase in rotor area to increase system thermal capacity. Duralife™ rotors feature a hardened surface to reduce corrosion and provide quieter braking with less vibration.

The Tahoe RST will also be offered with an exclusive Performance Package that includes Magnetic Ride Control with performance calibration, 6.2L V-8 and the new 10L80 10-speed automatic transmission.

This is the first time Tahoe will offer the 6.2L V-8, which delivers an estimated 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque. The engine features three state-of-the-art technologies — direct injection, Active Fuel Management and continuously variable valve timing — to make the most of power, torque and efficiency across a broad range of operating conditions.

The 6.2L V-8 will be paired with an all-new 10-speed automatic transmission. With smaller steps between each ratio, the transmission maximizes engine power under acceleration. With a wide 7.39 overall gear ratio spread and lower numerical top gear ratio, the transmission also improves efficiency by reducing engine revolutions at highway speeds.

Based on preliminary estimates, the Tahoe RST Performance Package will offer a towing capacity of 8,400 pounds and the truck will be cable of 0-60 mph acceleration in less than 6 seconds. Full performance metrics will be announced closer to launch.

Magnetic Ride Control is an active suspension that “reads” the road every millisecond, triggering damping changes in the electronically controlled shock absorbers in as few as 5 milliseconds. As a result, the suspension delivers both improved body-motion control during cornering and a more comfortable ride while cruising. The new performance calibration included in the Tahoe RST Performance Package increases body control for even higher levels of responsiveness and comfort.

“When you want to hustle, it is incredibly fast, with significantly higher levels of acceleration, braking and road-holding grip,” said Eric Stanczak, chief engineer for Chevrolet full-size trucks. “When you want to relax, it is very refined, with exceptional ride comfort and interior quietness.”

Chevrolet has been the best-selling full-size SUV brand for 42 years. Today, Tahoe and Suburban are the top two vehicles in the segment. They also account for 49.3 percent of retail sales, or nearly one out of every two full-size SUVs Americans bought in 2016. Tahoe and Suburban customers are also the most loyal owners in the segment, with 79 percent of owners replacing their vehicle with another Tahoe or Suburban.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

All for what, $70,000?

Less than 10 MPG, I would bet. Ugh.
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
      Less than 10 MPG, I would bet. Ugh.
      You might lose that bet.
      The 6.2L with the current 8 speed trans and a borla exhaust in a Yukon Denali I drive regularly gets about 18MPG in the city.
      With the 10 Speed trans it will be probably around 19 or slightly more

Every soccer moms dream !!!!!! Spend all the moneys !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Why make it a street performance vehicle. The first automaker that comes out with a full scale SUV with the Raptor treatment will be rolling in the dough.

Whelp, now there's less reason to upgrade to a Yukon Denali.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Zinhead1 View Post
      Why make it a street performance vehicle. The first automaker that comes out with a full scale SUV with the Raptor treatment will be rolling in the dough.
      Evidently you missed the part where manufacturers continue to make their SUVs drive like cars...because that's what consumers want.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up

Blog Entries
      The engineers must be bored at GM! This seems like such a waste. If I wanted performance, I would not have bought a gigantic beast of an SUV in the first place. I'd be happy with the 10 speed auto and maybe the borla exhaust for noise, in the standard vehicle.

In4 the Z71 1LE
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      The engineers must be bored at GM! This seems like such a waste. If I wanted performance, I would not have bought a gigantic beast of an SUV in the first place. I'd be happy with the 10 speed auto and maybe the borla exhaust for noise, in the standard vehicle.
      Let's be honest. We like it when engineers are bored and the bean counters are sleeping. That RARELY happens at the same time.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up

Never really cared for the headlights. They should've just used the lights from Silverado. It's more aggressive and pleasing to the eyes.

How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      It's just an Escalade kit(6.2 and magnetorheological dampening) plus some nice brakes, without the ott bling. In short better performance, less bling. Question is, will people buy it over a Denali?

Quote Originally Posted by spidy View Post
      Never really cared for the headlights. They should've just used the lights from Silverado. It's more aggressive and pleasing to the eyes.

Different demographic. Side note, and not meant to be a rip on you personally. I don't understand the styling of the Silverado and Ford Super-duty, so blocky and in your face. Not sure about "aggressive" so much as bull China shop from a styling perspective. The F150 and Ram seem like far better compromises.
      Last edited by lip; 04-06-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      Let's be honest. We like it when engineers are bored and the bean counters are sleeping. That RARELY happens at the same time.
      We would like it more if they'd do it to more affordable vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by lip View Post
      It's just an Escalade kit(6.2 and magnetorheological dampening) plus some nice brakes, without the ott bling. In short better performance, less bling. Question is, will people buy it over a Denali?

Escalade and Denali are AWD all the time.

Will this be AWD as well or still 2WD/4WD
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Whelp, now there's less reason to upgrade to a Yukon Denali.
      Was just thinking the same thing. I'd love this new Tahoe over a new boring Yukon Denali. I'd definitely feel that torque upgrade from the 6.2 i'm rockin. And the 6.2 is such a smooth beast.
      Last edited by CK98Beeetle; 04-06-2017 at 11:29 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      He can't even find a mechanic on his own. Probably better he isn't working on the brakes of his 2.5
      ton vehicle.

Let the Soccer Mom's of the nation rejoice!

I still think performance SUV's are pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by JDBVR6 View Post
      I still think performance SUV's are pointless.
      Thank you for your input.
      |||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Thank you for your input.

There is nothing sporty about a vehicle with a bus driver's ride height.

Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6 View Post
      Escalade and Denali are AWD all the time.

Will this be AWD as well or still 2WD/4WD
      They aren't AWD anymore. Only 4wd.

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      If I'm honest, I'd rather see bored engineers work on a hot version of the cruze. If I don't want a camaro, I'm stuck when it comes to affordable GM-based performance. Seems like more of a gap in the lineup than a performance version of the Tahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimaGTR View Post
      You might lose that bet.
      The 6.2L with the current 8 speed trans and a borla exhaust in a Yukon Denali I drive regularly gets about 18MPG in the city.
      With the 10 Speed trans it will be probably around 19 or slightly more
      that is incredible.

That being said, wife adn i were looking for some newer yukons/suburbans...the yukon was like 65k at the auto show?!?!
      SIXTY FIVE THOUSAND? the suburban was 70k. JEZUS christ.
      id pay like...40 for a well equipped one.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishSasquatch View Post
      that is incredible.

That being said, wife adn i were looking for some newer yukons/suburbans...the yukon was like 65k at the auto show?!?!
      SIXTY FIVE THOUSAND? the suburban was 70k. JEZUS christ.
      id pay like...40 for a well equipped one.
      You're a bit deluded, then

The cheapest Tahoe that you can possibly get is $48,510. These big SUVs are expensive, just like their pickup siblings.
      |||||||

If I was gonna spend whatever this thing is gonna cost, id want it to be 3/4 ton and have a Duramax in it. I find it hard to believe this thing will sell better than a Duramax Suburban.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1981 View Post
      I find it hard to believe this thing will sell better than a Duramax Suburban.
      I don't think that's really relevant. It doesn't need to sell better than any particular model, it just needs to sell well enough to justify creating it. Obviously GM thinks it will, and I'd agree. Just think about the ****ton of special-edition ~sporty~ GM/Ford/Ram trucks that there are. This thing can actually back up the looks with some legit performance, and I doubt that it is expensive to put together. All of the bits already exist.
      |||||||

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast