Annual oil change
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Annual oil change

Would you trust it and actually change your oil once a year? It doesn't mention anything about mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron1152 View Post
      Would you trust it and actually change your oil once a year? It doesn't mention anything about mileage.
      What is it?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      What is it?
      Probably this.

Mobil1 + "Annual Protection" = Nopenopenopenopenopenopenope

Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Probably this.

He said doesn't mention miles, the mobil1 annual is 1 year or 20k miles in the fine print. He could be talking about that about it and not realized it does mention miles.

What's the car and how/how often is it used

driven 3 miles each way 5 days a week so low miles but 1 year? sure annual fine and wouldn't go longer just due to low miles because there is going to be a lot of water and fuel in your oil that never burns off.

Annual doing 30k a year? no, unless it burns a lot and self changes with all your topping off

Something like my TT which I've had for a year and has seen maybe 1500 miles? nope not changing it because when it does get used it is fully up to temp and burns off any moisture and fuel in the oil.

Yes it does. 1 year or 20k miles. I have no issue using full synthetic for 1 year or 10k miles. 20k miles is pushing it a bit.

From their website:
      With proven protection for one full year,* new Mobil 1™ Annual Protection motor oil is a breakthrough in synthetics technology. This specially formulated oil is scientifically proven to extend oil life, providing longer-lasting protection and the convenience of longer time between oil changes – guaranteed.†
      *Or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.
      RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

Interesting. But ok would you trust this oil for 20k miles in a car with 100k on it that drives 50/each way to work? And I heard it in commercial and the ad doesn't mention miles. didn't bother reading fine print.

My very low level understanding is the synthetic oils are fine to go 10, 15, and in this case sure, 20k miles. It's the filters that need to be replaced at an interval determined largely by the 1) quality of filter you install and 2) type of driving you're doing.
      LS1 Volvo Thread

Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

Interesting. But ok would you trust this oil for 20k miles in a car with 100k on it that drives 50/each way to work? And I heard it in commercial and the ad doesn't mention miles. didn't bother reading fine print.
      50 miles each way to work is the perfect instance for extended mile oil change intervals.

It is running for long times at temperatures that will burn off moisture and fuel in the oil on a regular basis, while also spending the majority of its time at the low end of normal operating temperatures which will not break down the oil as quickly.

As someone just mentioned you might want to change the filter out in the middle especially if it is something like size of a 4oz slice olive can found on many Japanese cars. Something the size of a 22oz fosters can found on many german cars can go longer.

direct injection? error on shorter side.

I've got a 2015 Moto Guzzi V7 and the dealer insisted that there is no time requirement for changing the oil and I only needed to change it at 6,500 miles. After 1.5 years and 3,300 miles since the break in oil change, I just went ahead and did it myself. The oil was very black and I'm glad I didn't push it another two years on the same stuff. I'll definitely be doing oil changes at least annually if I can't sell the bike.

I change the oil in the TDI every 10,000 miles. Usually, it's 10 months, but sometimes, it's a year.

I would be a little more hesitant to do it in a gasser, especially a turbo. 20k in the WRX? Notachance.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon - YouTube Track Videos - flickr
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

No oil weight on the front label? Marketing to clueless soccer mom and dads?
      2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      past: '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro
      '85 VW GTI , 17 yrs and 280k miles, rusted away

If it's a big deal to you, just get an oil analysis whenever you change the oil. That's what I used to do. A few extra bucks for analysis, but it gave me confirmation that 9-10k miles between oil changes was fine. I put almost 175,000 miles on that motor too, no issues. Sold it because it was old, but it still ran fine.

Not sure I'd go 20k but for that style of driving I assume a lot of easy highway travel. When I was commuting every day on the highway I would stretch my change intervals. Now that I mostly do around town driving I change the oil more often. Conventional wisdom is that short trips are 'harder" on an engine than long trips.

When Mobil1 synthetics were introduced in the mid-70s, I believe their unadvertised goals were for 25,000 miles between oil changes. They quickly backed away from that as I recall, simply because in an era of 3,000 mile intervals, some gunzels started to believe they didn't have to change their oil at all.

I go 10,000 miles per vehicle (all run with Mobil1) regardless of time... It's a nice way to remember to do it...

I put the 15k Mobil 1 EP (5W-30) in my car in August and have driven about 5100 miles since then. It is the first time the car had synthetic in it and this winter I noticed that it didn't crank slowly when it was around freezing. That puts me at about eight months - will probably do it before it starts getting hot, probably around 7500 miles or so. Not that it really means much, but it is still clear and just a golden tan, not dark and gross looking, and none has been consumed.

What are everyone's thoughts on extended change intervals on newer cars that are not leased? The Corolla is supposed to get serviced every 5k (tire rotation + inspection), with an oil change every 10k. I am thinking that if we want to keep the car for the long haul that I should change it every 7500 or so...? It takes 0W-20.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      I drive my car pretty hard, so I usually change the oil every 5k or 6 months.

I didn't drive my E9 very hard, and only drove it about 2k miles a year, so it got an annual oil change.

If it was a throw away car, I probably would do an annual or 15k change.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

There are probably plenty of cars doing at least annual oil changes as it is and still kicking. My manual calls for 10k/1yr changes as it is, but I end up taking it in more often than that, I think.

The main issue i see on 10k+ intervals is somewhere around 7k miles you might be low on oil. the average non enthusiast may never check their oil so this could be dangerous.
      At 5k on my '17 Gti the oil still looked brand new. Not scientific at all, sorry. Goodluck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
      The main issue i see on 10k+ intervals is somewhere around 7k miles you might be low on oil. the average non enthusiast may never check their oil so this could be dangerous.
      Sort of.

It is only dangerous if it is so low that it results in the pump not drawing any oil from the sump and oil pressure drops to nothing. In that case a light would go off, in most cars it going off once, car leveling out so oil returns to the pick up point and then someone tops it off there will be no long term damage.

The real issue is that the remaining oil is now essentially doing more work, it is less volume of oil so it is more easily to get contaminated by fuel and moisture. It is also going to break down quicker trying to absorb the same amount of heat that the larger volume used to deal with. How much of an issue that is really is going to depend on the starting volume of the sump, oil being used, driving conditions, and injection type.

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I put the 15k Mobil 1 EP (5W-30) in my car in August and have driven about 5100 miles since then. It is the first time the car had synthetic in it and this winter I noticed that it didn't crank slowly when it was around freezing. That puts me at about eight months - will probably do it before it starts getting hot, probably around 7500 miles or so. Not that it really means much, but it is still clear and just a golden tan, not dark and gross looking, and none has been consumed.

What are everyone's thoughts on extended change intervals on newer cars that are not leased? The Corolla is supposed to get serviced every 5k (tire rotation + inspection), with an oil change every 10k. I am thinking that if we want to keep the car for the long haul that I should change it every 7500 or so...? It takes 0W-20.
      It's probably fine. I change the oil in my wife's Mazda3 every 5000 miles - which is Mazda's severe duty schedule, normal is 7500 miles - even though we are doing mostly suburban/highway driving @ 20-25K/year. The car has had a steady diet of 0W-20 for 80,000 miles. I had the valve cover off last month for a gasket change, and the top end was in great shape. We are in it for the long haul with this car, so seeing the insides @ this stage was pretty re-assuring that the 0W-20 wasn't doing it any harm.

Could I go longer on a change? Yeah, probably. But 5,000 is so much easier for me to remember. And it will help ensure that stuff doesn't build up over time. The head on my 200,000 mile M3 was spotless when I took it off to do a head gasket a couple months ago. It was a track rat, yet had been maintained. The seller of my car later posted the inside of the head on his wife's BMW, which had 14,000 mile OCI's for the first 150K, and the inside was all stained from the sludge.

Absolutely not. Even if it's high in ester content and doesn't break down, it'll still get really dirty and build up a ton of varnish inside your engine.

Besides, you can get regular Mobil 1 for half the price, and I'd be more comfortable changing the oil at 10k OCIs. However I still wouldn't even do 10k OCIs because I drive a lot of short trips, and I drive my cars hard after the oil temperature is up. There's no way my engines would survive the constant flogging with oil that has almost 20k miles on it.
      Last edited by bob570; 04-07-2017 at 03:05 PM.
      First car: 1997 Jetta GT 2.0 with a slushbox
      Winter: 2004 Stage 2 Jetta NevAr lose edition with 5 speed manuél
      For fun: 2000 Camaro SS 6spd, 2000 Honda CBR600F4

20K miles? Based on what, what's written on the bottle? I would need to hear it from the manufacturer before I got on board with that.

Engines that don't hit the interval in 12 months still get a once a year change.

Could the OP be any shorter?
      Last edited by @McMike; 04-07-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Warranty seems difficult to collect on -

What we will do to correct problems

ExxonMobil will replace any lubricant that is defective. In addition, if there is equipment failure due to the lubricant you purchased, and the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of the lubricant, at no cost to you, provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the OEM or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil.
      "Sorry, there is no defect in the or malfunction of the lubricant. There is a lot of crap floating around in it but the lubricant is fine."

How would you prove that the cause was directly the result of a defect in the lubricant?

Then -
      What the Mobil 1 Annual Protection limited warranty does not cover

This limited warranty excludes:

Mobil™-branded lubricants used in mechanically deficient equipment as a result of abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; damage from casualty, shipment or accident; or, equipment modification done without written authorization from the original equipment manufacturer (OEM)
      Situations where the OEM required lubricant standards do not match those stated by ExxonMobil without written approval from ExxonMobil
      Mobil-branded lubricants that have been used in conjunction with any other product or additive that has not been authorized for use by ExxonMobil
      Failure of equipment due to a pre-existing condition that is unrelated to the use of Mobil-branded lubricants
      Repair or replacement of equipment due to normal wear
      What is normal wear? What is abnormal operation? Driving 20k miles a year in stop and go traffic sure isn't normal.

My guess virtually no one drives 20k miles a year unless a ton of it is on the highway which is very easy on the engine, then this person is likely to regularly get a newer car, not keeping it long enough to actually ever have problem with the engine or try to collect on the warranty. Similar to manufacturers having no schedule to replace automatic transmission fluid.
      Last edited by dmorrow; 04-07-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Could the OP be any shorter?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast