No APR TCU Tune Available for My Car - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
      Quote Originally Posted by diesel_dave View Post
      I would probably change to the UM tune if only they would give us west-coasters some love and come out with a stage 2 91 octane tune.
      They have one. You can run any octane you want on their tune. You tell The shop flashing it what octane you want set and they set it. And how much boost you want to run and the launch boost. If you have E85 out there they also have a flex fuel kit.

Just email or call Fred or Jeff to verify 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Evilevo View Post
      They have one. You can run any octane you want on their tune. You tell The shop flashing it what octane you want set and they set it. And how much boost you want to run and the launch boost. If you have E85 out there they also have a flex fuel kit.

Just email or call Fred or Jeff to verify 👍

What he said, Im in Socal and im running his tune with the E85 Pro-flex kit on stock fuel system. Crazy smooth.... I switched from APR stage 2 91 file to UM because I couldn't handle all the Quarks in APR's ECU/TCU tune.

Quote Originally Posted by mkIIISC View Post
      What he said, Im in Socal and im running his tune with the E85 Pro-flex kit on stock fuel system. Crazy smooth.... I switched from APR stage 2 91 file to UM because I couldn't handle all the Quarks in APR's ECU/TCU tune.
      Interesting! I would love to go with E85 but I live in the high desert and the closest E85 station is an hour away I had no idea UM had 91 octane files for stage 2. I think I was getting confused with Unitronics which does not advertise a 91 octane stage 2 flash. Anyone have any dyno graphs for the UM stage 2 91 octane flash? I couldn't really find anything on their website aside from a graph of their "red" file which I can only assume is a 93 octane tune.

Banner Advertiser ExcelerateSales's Avatar
      Anything in particular to check regarding the DV? I've kind of suspected it from the beginning.
      Do you still have the OEM diverter valve in place?
      Excelerate Performance - Connecticut's Finest In Automotive and APR Master Distributor
      APR | AWE Tuning | MSS Kits| | StopTech | 034 Motorsport | iAbed Industries | |Dinan| Milltek AND MORE!
      Instagam - @excelerateperformance | Facebook Page! | Web Store!
      You can commonly find me on our LIVE CHAT Monday - Friday 8:30 AM -6:00 PM

Interesting! I would love to go with E85 but I live in the high desert and the closest E85 station is an hour away I had no idea UM had 91 octane files for stage 2. I think I was getting confused with Unitronics which does not advertise a 91 octane stage 2 flash. Anyone have any dyno graphs for the UM stage 2 91 octane flash? I couldn't really find anything on their website aside from a graph of their "red" file which I can only assume is a 93 octane tune.

I would suggest the UM standard 91 file then, as its already able to run up to E30 (if you run across a E85 station)and it will adjust on it own. They don't do stages on files... You tell the dealer the boost level you want, LC boost level setting, and octane level you are running. Everything else will be adjusted by the software to keep you safe so when you add your downpipe the tune will adjust for it on its own. No need for Re-flashing... and if you do need to adjust something its FREE.

The dyno on UM's site is 93 oct... I haven't seen a 91 oct file. But I may be getting on the dyno very soon.... Im sure its within a few HP of 93 tune.

So just heard back from APR with the definitive cause of the "issue" I am having. They reviewed both the videos I submitted to them and have confirmed that this behavior is perfectly normal and to be expected. Apparently what I am experiencing is called "surge avoidance" which is built into their tune. In situations that could potentially result in turbo surging the APR tune regulates the boost like this via the wastegate. This is fairly harmless but they did recommend that I just downshift to avoid this situation altogether and to be honest I usually have to try and make this happen but it does occasionally happen when I am not anticipating it. Oh well, time to order parts for stage 2 I suppose!

So just heard back from APR with the definitive cause of the "issue" I am having. They reviewed both the videos I submitted to them and have confirmed that this behavior is perfectly normal and to be expected. Apparently what I am experiencing is called "surge avoidance" which is built into their tune. In situations that could potentially result in turbo surging the APR tune regulates the boost like this via the wastegate. This is fairly harmless but they did recommend that I just downshift to avoid this situation altogether and to be honest I usually have to try and make this happen but it does occasionally happen when I am not anticipating it. Oh well, time to order parts for stage 2 I suppose!

Soooooooo like I said its APRs tune (boost control) and to drive around it. lol GL Stage 2 is fun.

Banner Advertiser ExcelerateSales's Avatar
      Soooooooo like I said its APRs tune (boost control) and to drive around it. lol GL Stage 2 is fun.
      It is a safety built into the ECU structure to save hardware such as the turbocharger, transmission/clutch etc etc...to be more reliable long term on said parts. A lot of tuners just shut these things off, essentially dumbing down the ECU's capability of the power/safety compromise. You will gain speed significantly faster by just downshifting into the proper gear.
      Excelerate Performance - Connecticut's Finest In Automotive and APR Master Distributor
      APR | AWE Tuning | MSS Kits| | StopTech | 034 Motorsport | iAbed Industries | |Dinan| Milltek AND MORE!
      Instagam - @excelerateperformance | Facebook Page! | Web Store!
      You can commonly find me on our LIVE CHAT Monday - Friday 8:30 AM -6:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelerateSales View Post
      It is a safety built into the ECU structure to save hardware such as the turbocharger, transmission/clutch etc etc...to be more reliable long term on said parts. A lot of tuners just shut these things off, essentially dumbing down the ECU's capability of the power/safety compromise. You will gain speed significantly faster by just downshifting into the proper gear.

I fully understand what its doing and why its doing it, having own the same tune. However some tuners can regulate boost control better with the same safeguards in place. I totally agree you need to drop a gear and learn how to drive the car correctly and not go say ''half throttle in 6th gear @ 40mph'' Drop to the correct gear and then lay into it.

I fully understand what its doing and why its doing it, having own the same tune. However some tuners can regulate boost control better with the same safeguards in place. I totally agree you need to drop a gear and learn how to drive the car correctly and not go say ''half throttle in 6th gear @ 40mph'' Drop to the correct gear and then lay into it.
      I think that the point kind of is that one should not have to know how to drive an automatic car. If this was happening in a car with a manual transmission than it would surely be the fault of the driver for not being in the proper gear. Granted, this issue only happens during certain circumstances but I am not convinced that it should be my responsibility to shift an automatic transmission manually so the engine doesn't blow itself up. That being said, I am glad APR has left this safety feature enabled to save our expensive turbochargers. Have you actually confirmed that other tuners have this sort of "surge avoidance" enabled or is it that other tunes just run less boost and therefore don't have to worry about turbo surge?

I think that the point kind of is that one should not have to know how to drive an automatic car. If this was happening in a car with a manual transmission than it would surely be the fault of the driver for not being in the proper gear. Granted, this issue only happens during certain circumstances but I am not convinced that it should be my responsibility to shift an automatic transmission manually so the engine doesn't blow itself up. That being said, I am glad APR has left this safety feature enabled to save our expensive turbochargers. Have you actually confirmed that other tuners have this sort of "surge avoidance" enabled or is it that other tunes just run less boost and therefore don't have to worry about turbo surge?
      Never had this happen with my UM ECU/TCU tune. Part throttle is fantastic with boost control, never surges and if you too low and give it throttle, it's very quick to downshift.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilevo View Post
      Never had this happen with my UM ECU/TCU tune. Part throttle is fantastic with boost control, never surges and if you too low and give it throttle, it's very quick to downshift.
      I get my TCU tuned on the 29th so I'll see if this behavior is eliminated or improved. Also getting stage 2 ECU tune, intercooler, downpipe, and intake installed so that might make a difference too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123