US-spec facelifted 2018 Volkswagen Golf / Golf GTI / Golf R / Golf Sportwagen / Golf Alltrack / e-Golf unveiled in New York - Page 6
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Results 126 to 149 of 149
    1. #126
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      32,628
      Quote Originally Posted by DeanStevenson View Post
      Visit Austin Texas in August and it will be obvious.
      I've been to Houston on several occasions. I totally get it. It gets hot here (and extremely humid), but damn. That Texas sun. *sweats just recalling it

      Oh, and he's in Minnesota.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    2. #127
      Senior Member WineBasket2.0t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2005
      Location
      Sunnyvale CA
      Posts
      25,903
      I saw a general date of 'this fall' for the 18s. Lines up pretty nicely with my needing another car in order to try and scoop a leftover 17.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

      Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

    3. #128
      Member Woodski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 14th, 2010
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      3,356
      Maybe not hte best place to post this, but it is the most recent GSW thread...does the pre-facelift version of the GSW come with the DSG? I'm reading all the "6-Speed Automatic" on the trims on the VW website, but I can't find if that's a traditional torque converter Auto or a DSG. This car is on my list for a replacement for my current Civic, but I can't tell entirely for sure.

      Thanks,
      Matt

    4. #129
      Member
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2006
      Location
      COS
      Posts
      1,205
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      Maybe not hte best place to post this, but it is the most recent GSW thread...does the pre-facelift version of the GSW come with the DSG? I'm reading all the "6-Speed Automatic" on the trims on the VW website, but I can't find if that's a traditional torque converter Auto or a DSG. This car is on my list for a replacement for my current Civic, but I can't tell entirely for sure.

      Thanks,
      Matt
      the gsw that is currently on sale has the traditional torque converter 6-speed auto, not the dsg. the current alltrack does have the dsg, though.
      Past rides:
      2000 Infiniti I30
      2003 Infiniti G35
      2002 Mazda Tribute
      2013 VW Tiguan

    5. #130
      Member
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2010
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      10,295
      The lower part of the front grill is horrendous.



      And those wheels are pretty goofy.
      '89 VW Jetta GLI | '02 VW GTI 1.8T | '05 Porsche Boxster | '05 Ducati Sport1000 | '06 VW GTI | '07 Porsche Cayman | '08 Ducati 848 | '14 Porsche 911 | '17 VW Golf R

    6. #131
      Member Woodski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 14th, 2010
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      3,356
      Quote Originally Posted by scsuh View Post
      the gsw that is currently on sale has the traditional torque converter 6-speed auto, not the dsg. the current alltrack does have the dsg, though.
      Thank you!

    7. #132
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 2013
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      941
      The R looks boring as ever. Those wheels are horrific. Sad!

    8. #133
      Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcFly88MPH View Post
      The R looks boring as ever. Those wheels are horrific. Sad!
      It's not bad in person. Front bumper though

    9. #134
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Posts
      27,888
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Woah buddy. Besides the auto-hold function, what does the electronic parking brake get you?
      In theory, the electronic parking brake can be set up to automatically activate when the vehicle is stationary and the car is turned off or the driver's door is opened, in order to minimize rollaway problems due to the widespread habit of not using the parking brake. Whether a car company does this is a different matter.

    10. #135
      Member John Y's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 27th, 1999
      Location
      Brooklyn to Hannover, Germany
      Posts
      6,139
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      Thank you!
      That is true of the FWD Sportwagens, but the current S 4Motion has the same drivetrain as the Alltrack, therefore it has the DSG. It's in the order guides even though the website doesn't differentiate. However, if you look closely at the auto gearshifter depicted on the configurator, you'll see it says "DSG" whereas on the FWD cars, it doesn't.

    11. #136
      Member Ttone74's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 2015
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      1,046
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      In theory, the electronic parking brake can be set up to automatically activate when the vehicle is stationary and the car is turned off or the driver's door is opened, in order to minimize rollaway problems due to the widespread habit of not using the parking brake. Whether a car company does this is a different matter.
      My audi does this. If you open the door in drive it automatically puts the parking brake on... no driving a car off a cliff and jumping out.
      RIP: 1989 Mercury Tracer 5 speed 3 dr hatchback, 1995 VW Jetta GL 6 speed, 1997 Jetta GLS 5 Speed, 1999 Ford Escort Wagon, 1998 Mercury Sable Wagon, 2011 Audi A4, 2012 Ford Focus SEL, 2013 Jetta 2.5 SEL w/ Navigation.

    12. #137
      Member davewg's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2001
      Location
      NJ near Philly - for the steaks!
      Posts
      1,560
      Quote Originally Posted by dcsh View Post
      It's not bad in person. Front bumper though
      Agree the wheels don't look nearly as bad in person. Honestly, the lower front bumper didn't bother me at all when I saw the car yesterday.
      Family Garage:
      2016 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD - mine
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - for the kids to learn on and drive
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette <-- Father in Law's classic. We're just the caretaker/owners

    13. #138
      Member Smigelski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2008
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      7,461
      Quote Originally Posted by Ttone74 View Post
      My audi does this. If you open the door in drive it automatically puts the parking brake on... no driving a car off a cliff and jumping out.
      I just tried this morning in my Golf R. I can totally roll the car off a cliff and jump out!

      Although I must say that there have been a few instances when I've noticed the parking brake on and I don't remember setting it.

    14. #139
      Member Woodski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 14th, 2010
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      3,356
      Quote Originally Posted by John Y View Post
      That is true of the FWD Sportwagens, but the current S 4Motion has the same drivetrain as the Alltrack, therefore it has the DSG. It's in the order guides even though the website doesn't differentiate. However, if you look closely at the auto gearshifter depicted on the configurator, you'll see it says "DSG" whereas on the FWD cars, it doesn't.
      Copy.

      Now I know what to look for, aha.

    15. #140
      Member Ttone74's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 2015
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      1,046
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      I just tried this morning in my Golf R. I can totally roll the car off a cliff and jump out!

      Although I must say that there have been a few instances when I've noticed the parking brake on and I don't remember setting it.
      Lol, Audi doesn't let you!
      RIP: 1989 Mercury Tracer 5 speed 3 dr hatchback, 1995 VW Jetta GL 6 speed, 1997 Jetta GLS 5 Speed, 1999 Ford Escort Wagon, 1998 Mercury Sable Wagon, 2011 Audi A4, 2012 Ford Focus SEL, 2013 Jetta 2.5 SEL w/ Navigation.

    16. #141
      Member Smigelski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2008
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      7,461
      Quote Originally Posted by Ttone74 View Post
      Lol, Audi doesn't let you!
      I did a test. If I turn on the 'Auto Hold' feature, the car automatically applies the parking brake if you are stopped and open the door. If the Auto Hold is off, the parking brake is never engaged unless you pull the button. It makes sense, I guess. I just typically leave the Auto Hold off due to my style of driving. I typically never touch the gas pedal until the clutch is starting to grab. The Auto Hold is also infuriating when I'm trying to nudge the car forward in the garage. I try to pull in just far enough to get past the garage door, so I often stop short and creep forward the last couple inches with just the clutch. Auto Hold makes it impossible.

    17. #142
      Member smoothsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2001
      Location
      San Francisco Peninsula
      Posts
      3,889
      Quote Originally Posted by Ttone74 View Post
      Lol, Audi doesn't let you!
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      I did a test. If I turn on the 'Auto Hold' feature, the car automatically applies the parking brake if you are stopped and open the door. If the Auto Hold is off, the parking brake is never engaged unless you pull the button. It makes sense, I guess. I just typically leave the Auto Hold off due to my style of driving. I typically never touch the gas pedal until the clutch is starting to grab. The Auto Hold is also infuriating when I'm trying to nudge the car forward in the garage. I try to pull in just far enough to get past the garage door, so I often stop short and creep forward the last couple inches with just the clutch. Auto Hold makes it impossible.
      I've heard DSG R drivers complaining about the car not letting you open the door without engaging the parking brake. Maybe they all use Auto Hold, or maybe the DSG car is more aggressive about it than the manual.

      I concur, I drove the car with auto hold on for the first month or two, and always felt like it was probably wearing the clutch excessively.. turned it off over a year ago and sure don't miss it one bit.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

    18. #143
      Member SCHWAB0's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2004
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      6,241
      Quote Originally Posted by scsuh View Post
      the gsw that is currently on sale has the traditional torque converter 6-speed auto, not the dsg. the current alltrack does have the dsg, though.
      don't forget GSW 4motiion is DSG as well.

      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      Maybe not hte best place to post this, but it is the most recent GSW thread...does the pre-facelift version of the GSW come with the DSG? I'm reading all the "6-Speed Automatic" on the trims on the VW website, but I can't find if that's a traditional torque converter Auto or a DSG. This car is on my list for a replacement for my current Civic, but I can't tell entirely for sure.

      Thanks,
      Matt
      Alltrack are all DSG and the GSW S 4 motion as well.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

    19. #144

      Headlight Question

      Now the lighting package includes LED Headlamps does this mean the Golf S will get Bi-Xenon or are they still halogen?

    20. #145
      Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 1999
      Location
      Fredericton NB Canada
      Posts
      46,439
      Quote Originally Posted by Zach0918 View Post
      Now the lighting package includes LED Headlamps does this mean the Golf S will get Bi-Xenon or are they still halogen?
      Still halogen.

    21. #146
      Member VeeRsixx's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 5th, 2004
      Location
      Harrisburg PA
      Posts
      2,906

      re:

      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      The lower part of the front grill is horrendous.



      And those wheels are pretty goofy.

      I just purchased my R about 3 weeks ago, loaded w. everything but DSG for $2400 under MSRP. I'm glad I got the "old" one. I don't like the new front end at all. Plus, (and this may sound ridiculous) I wanted actual physical speedo and tach needles instead of the virtual dash. I agree, strange wheels.
      past dubs: (all black) - 1984 GTI - 1992 GTI 16v - 2001 GTI VR6

    22. #147
      Member wasim12's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 6th, 2011
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,381
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeRsixx View Post
      Plus, (and this may sound ridiculous) I wanted actual physical speedo and tach needles instead of the virtual dash.
      This. I absolutely don't see myself using a TFT gauge cluster anywhere in the near future
      2011 DEEP BLACK 4DR DSG AUTOBAHN GTI -> 2013 FR-S 10 Series -> 2016 S3 Sepang Blue
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Most chicks that drive Escapes have a rug that needs trimming.

    23. #148
      Geriatric Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 18th, 2001
      Location
      Near Rabbit5GTI
      Posts
      35,097
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeRsixx View Post
      Plus, (and this may sound ridiculous) I wanted actual physical speedo and tach needles instead of the virtual dash. I agree, strange wheels.
      That is actually the main reason I would be holding out for a '18 if I were buying now. I've used it in the new A4 and allroad and it's awesome.

    24. #149
      Those weird wheels are an option (at least on the as-known CDN ordersheet)
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3
      1987 Peugeot PB-18 – Manual Power
      1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456