Does being a southern patriotic redneck hurt your real world fuel economy?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does being a southern patriotic redneck hurt your real world fuel economy?

Serious question.
      Truck aerodynamics might as well be alien technology considering how difficult it is to use basic logic to determine if something hurts are helps aerodynamics.
      Remember when EVERYDOY was putting mesh tailgates on their trucks because it supposedly helped fuel economy?
      (never mind that it left the un-braced the bed sides as strong as partially wet cardboard).

Then expensive tonneau(sp?) covers became popular for similar reasons.

Heck.. back in the pre-internet days, people even thought these helped aerodynamics.

The stick pushing a turd shape causes all kinds of turbulence and vortexes- and I think the designers actually design the trucks to allow for all kinds of shapes behind the cab (loaded and unloaded).

Ok, to the real topic.
      So does running two big flags like this significantly hurt real world highway fuel economy, or is it a wash?

And maybe if it's a wash, maybe we could rig up some type of deploy-able canvas chute on poles off the bed sides to use as an air brake (saw another post bad rear end crash today.. involving old pickup that couldn't stop in time for unexpectedly stopped traffic on highway).
      Last edited by BRealistic; 04-12-2017 at 06:35 PM.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

I think driving a truck hurts your fuel economy.

/thread

The flags just suck, period. I don't see many around me, thankfully.
      Instagram - efrie004

No question, flapping flags like that will add drag and cost fuel - and probably a significant amount.

I don't think the average person thinks about something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      No question, flapping flags like that will add drag and cost fuel - and probably a significant amount.

I don't think the average person thinks about something like this.
      I don't think the average person has confederate flags flapping in the air as he hauls ass down the highway.
      Instagram - efrie004

It's really shocking how IQ drops the further south you go. I wonder if there has been a national IQ study that maps out IQ averages by county...

But to answer your question, yes, the flags hurt economy.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      It's really shocking how IQ drops the further south you go. I wonder if there has been a national IQ study that maps out IQ averages by county...

But to answer your question, yes, the flags hurt economy.
      I'm happy my parents are from the north, and both of their parents are from Europe. I may live in the south, but luckily the family hasn't been here long enough to taint the blood.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I'm happy my parents are from the north, and both of their parents are from Europe. I may live in the south, but luckily the family hasn't been here long enough to taint the blood.
      My mother's side is lots of southern folk...they're pretty good for Southerners but...there's room for improvement.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Any large sail will affect fuel economy unless it's being used for propulsion. In the case of flags on a pickup, not so much.

The image shown above bothers me because the American flag should be flown either in the middle or the right side of the truck. There's a local wanna be redneck brodozer douche with a black and white American flag in the bed and Trump and White Lives Matter stickers along with Calvin peeing on something. If he only knew his black and white flag is a representation of the past, present, and future off all Black Americans.

Gotta love people who fly Old Glory and the flag of traitors next to each other without a hint of irony.

And yes, flags like that add quite a bit of drag which is going to hurt fuel economy.

Wasn't there a big long thread about a Southern gentleman congressman driving with flags on his Harley? There was much debate about wind resistance in that thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Wasn't there a big long thread about a Southern gentleman congressman driving with flags on his Harley? There was much debate about wind resistance in that thread.
      Close. Former Wisconsin senator, Vietnam Vet, Marine, and million mile rider on a previous Harley that's now in the museum, had his warranty voided when he disclosed that he rode with the flags on his Harley and it voided his warranty due to the extra drag caused by the flags, which caused extra stress on the driveline, and he developed a clutch slipping problem. I don't remember the thread on here, but here is the original article from 2014.

And keep it on the topic of drag caused by the extra accoutrements, not the type of flags, nor the ancestry of people and their intelligence.

Mike
      "You guys get out, I've got places to go" - Steve Mahan, Google self driving car user #0001. Watch the video on Youtube, it's awesome!!!

pretty sure confederate flags create about as much drag as ...

Quote Originally Posted by Blk95VR6 View Post
      And keep it on the topic of drag caused by the extra accoutrements, not the type of flags, nor the ancestry of people and their intelligence.
      ...any other flag out there.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

Quote Originally Posted by fknlo View Post
      Gotta love people who fly Old Glory and the flag of traitors next to each other without a hint of irony.
      I am sure he never aspired to do it the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk95VR6 View Post
      Close. Former Wisconsin senator, Vietnam Vet, Marine, and million mile rider on a previous Harley that's now in the museum, had his warranty voided when he disclosed that he rode with the flags on his Harley and it voided his warranty due to the extra drag caused by the flags, which caused extra stress on the driveline, and he developed a clutch slipping problem. I don't remember the thread on here, but here is the original article from 2014.

Mike
      Ahh, how did I forget about him?
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Ahh, how did I forget about him?
      No necessary. I only remember it because I work with a lot of guys who are Harley owners and they were all up in arms about Harley not honoring his warranty work after he put the million miles on his previous bike, and placed it into the museum. I think it's a bit petty myself, as Harley could have shown a little gratitude for his parading their product for al, those years. A million miles on anything is difficult enough, but on a Harley? Wow, my hat gets tipped to this guy...

Mike
      "You guys get out, I've got places to go" - Steve Mahan, Google self driving car user #0001. Watch the video on Youtube, it's awesome!!!

You sound quite intelligent
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

I think driving a truck hurts your fuel economy.

I DD an rx8.
      Fuel economy is purely hypothetical.

Yankees can go to hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Yankees can go to hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Agreed, go Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I DD an rx8.
      Fuel economy is purely hypothetical.
      I agree. Saying my truck gets good gas mileage is like saying my boat is cheap to keep up with.

With that being said, there are trucks that do better than others. Particularly the newer trucks, I think it's incredible we have pickups getting 20MPG in 4x4 trim these days.

Adding flags certainly isn't going to help.
      Instagram - efrie004

My only comment on this is follow the federal laws/regulations on display. If your flag becomes tattered torn and still being flown; you may as well be burning the flag if you continue to fly it.

I wish they would educate people on flag display laws more than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by US Senate
      Section 7

(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or
      of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff
      should be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the
      right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services
      conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown
      above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person
      shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international
      flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to or in place
      of the flag of the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided,
      That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice
      heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of
      superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal
      prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the
      headquarters of the United Nations.

https://www.senate.gov/reference/res...df/RL30243.pdf

I've always wondered about that, the trucks with flags are popular the further north you go in Florida, the flags keep getting larger too

I can't wait too get more dumber when I move south
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      I can't wait too get more dumber when I move south
      You spelled to wrong.
      Instagram - efrie004

You spelled to wrong.
      Damn it's starting already. Looks like it won't take to long
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN