On The Brink of WWIII - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by bave View Post
      It was until very recently that China even got some remotely decent hardware. Their top of the line hardware is Russian export versions or indigenous designed crap with stolen avionics and foreign sourced hardware bolted together.

The best ASM they have is the KH-35 which is far from a major threat to a US battlegroup. It is relatively small, slow, and has a ~80NM range. So, that doesn't mean jack squat to our battlegroup sitting 200NM off their coast that can saturate their entire nation in cruise missile fire at our leisure, while any aircraft that might pose a threat get smoked as they taxi on their runways. The game here isn't what NK can do to us, it is what they can do to SK before we obliterate them. If Seoul was another 30M south of the DMZ, this would be a very different conversation.
      Agreed. Though I would think they'll be in full defense mode and cannot afford to divert their firepower elsewhere.

NK is no different than Saddam in Iraq or the Taliban in Afghan land. The majority of the population live in fear; there are a few brainwashed who thinks the west is the devil. And just like the wars before, most need a saviour to overpower the tyranny. Humanity is a common ground we all seek in our livelihood. So I do believe they could turn on Kim.

If only it were easy to assassinate authoritive figures that possess a threat, before the rest of the world looks at it as a mob hit. Nobody wants War but Trump. China is hard at work to destabilize the situation. Then the ships will turn back around and the fat kid goes back to playing with his incompetent toys within a matter of months. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      What do you think would happen if the US assassinated Kim? I know we have the assets in place to do it, but there must be a very good reason it hasn't been done.
      The US (or any other nation) can't or won't simply assassinate the leader of another nation. It sets a precedent of saying it's okay to assassinate our President. Further, taking out Kim on our own leaves a major power vacuum in a nation with nuclear weapons and it creates tension with China. The US would have to be ready to move into and occupy North Korea while attempting to create a new government which could turn into another cluster. Just like in the Middle East, an American occupation force won't be met with chocolate and roses.

Now if the US was approached by some group within North Korea who had a viable plan to remove or assassinate Kim and establish a legitimate government that had support of the people and the military as well as other nations, then it might get some help. But it won't be an American doing the deed.

Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post

Now if the US was approached by some group within North Korea who had a viable plan to remove or assassinate Kim and establish a legitimate government that had support of the people and the military as well as other nations, then it might get some help. But it won't be an American doing the deed.
      Yeppers, it has to come from within. And I hope that group has reunification on their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptive Bunny View Post
      Agreed. Though I would think they'll be in full defense mode and cannot afford to divert their firepower elsewhere.
      It doesn't matter.

North Korea is a relatively small place, with a massive conventional antiquated military. Whether they go on the offensive or defensive it doesn't matter. Massed formations give Colonels wood. Hold their forces in the rear, fine, let our cruise missiles and bombers tear them apart at will until the regime collapses. Kim dies pretty quickly the second there is an interruption in his iron grip on the armed forces. He gets coup'd in short order and hung off his own statue.

So here's what I don't get- Lil' Kim repeatedly mentions the coming of arsenal that will someday have the range of reaching US shores. He has/is openly admitting ill-intentions towards The States in the future. Crazy.

Missile launched

Immediate failure
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Missile launched

Immediate failure
      lolololol
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Something about a fresh start: I have mine everyday.

Forgot to mention.. Mike pence will be in Seoul tomorrow. I wonder whats in store for his visit

Forgot to mention.. Mike pence will be in Seoul tomorrow. I wonder whats in store for his visit
      Artillery shells perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Artillery shells perhaps?
      Don't get me all excited.

And just got word that US was actually behind the immediate explosion of NK missiles. Apparently it was detonated by aircrafts that circulate at high altitudes, pointing a laser beam to heat up the target and causing it to explode. They can even point-to-effect and keep a lock on a moving missile taking off from the launch pad.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

I hope he's going with this wife. Because, Korea has a huge drinking culture If someone pours you a drink, you drink it.

He recently said that he won't share a meal with a woman when they're by themselves. And he won't go to a function if alcohol is served unless his wife is there. Or some crazy s*** like that

Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      I hope he's going with this wife. Because, Korea has a huge drinking culture If someone pours you a drink, you drink it.

He recently said that he won't share a meal with a woman when they're by themselves. And he won't go to a function if alcohol is served unless his wife is there. Or some crazy s*** like that
      He also calls his wife "mother".

Quote Originally Posted by caliatenza View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by caliatenza View Post
      Freakshow in da house!!!

It's highly inconvenient that the border after the pause in the Korean War is within such range of the capital.

How about some Iron Dome plus this:

The US (or any other nation) can't or won't simply assassinate the leader of another nation.
      Well certainly not. Not if you say it that way.

The US (or any other nation) can't or won't simply assassinate the leader of another nation.
      Saddam Hussein
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Saddam Hussein
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Saddam Hussein
      ...was found guilty of crimes against humanity by an Iraqi tribunal and executed by Iraqis. No US personnel were members of the tribunal or execution.

...was found guilty of crimes against humanity by an Iraqi tribunal and executed by Iraqis. No US personnel were members of the tribunal or execution.
      That's a fine bit of zukkery.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast