VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

For the First Time in 18 Years, I Am Carless

32K views 469 replies 87 participants last post by  chuckster1 
#1 ·
I just sold the TTS to a nice young VW/Audi enthusiast who I am sure will appreciate it. He got a great deal, too.

So for the first time in a very, very long time, i have no car. (i can borrow one of my parents' cars for the time being, so I have transportation).

But the sense of possibility is palpable. It's like I just got out of a very long marriage, and now I can play the field again. I plan to test drive dozens of cars. I am going to have fun with this!

My interests are currently leaning toward . . .

At any rate, how long has it taken some of you to find new cars?

I am open to suggestions, too. Basically, my budget is $40k or so. Needs to be 4-door. Needs to be fast. Manual/DSG only. NO CVT, and probably no slush boxes (although I might make an exception). No crossovers/SUVs. Needs to be brand new or lightly used. Warranties are a plus.

See less See more
#79 ·
Back on topic: Infiniti is practically giving away Q50 RedSport 400s. All you need to do is debadge it and nobody would be any the wiser, and I would call that nice and understated.
I actually test drove one of these like 1.5 months ago when another TCLer bought one.

The engine is a gem. But I really didn't like the way the car drove. It had the famous Q50 zero-feels steering. Didn't corner very flat. Not a huge fan of the looks of it.

And my local dealer was being sheistery, so I would need to fly to CA to get one for a decent price. It just didn't win me over.

But otherwise a good suggestion!

#128 ·
I am open to suggestions. Basically, my budget is $40k or so. Needs to be 4-door. Needs to be fast. Manual/DSG only.

I see you will soon end up driving the same car as me. :thumbup: :)

Although if you end up going Subaru I think you'll find the 718 to be quite nice too.

#130 ·
Although if you end up going Subaru I think you'll find the 718 to be quite nice too.
I will kill you. I thought we agreed that the next 718/subaru compare would result in an insta-ban, ever since you dragged all of the original 718 threads through the mud and dog**** with your incessant rambling.

Welcome to the thread, hawc. :D

And an S3 is much more likely for me than the Golf R. But we'll see.

#143 ·
By insisting on a Manual Transmission, Four Door only and specifying "Very Fast" (which can mean different things to different people), you've really narrowed down your options to just a few choices. Most manual transmission cars these days are economy cars mated to small, economical engines and are not "very fast." Those that are mated to a higher performance engine tend to be found in sports cars and are not four door models.

One that might meet your list of requirements is the BMW 3-series 4-door sedan (320i). With the manual transmission as the only option selected, it prices in at around 34,500 (depending on the area you live in), leaving you room to add your choice of options and still keeping the final price under $40K. The 320i isn't "very fast" by some people's standards, but it will be quicker than most cars that meet your list of specifications.

Of course, I'm a fan of Subaru, as well. If you do end up opting for a Subaru, I think you'll be happy with that choice. For me, when I'm in the market for a new car, I always take my time and test drive several different brands and models before I buy. That way, you know that what you end up with is the car that most closely meets your list of requirements and, as an enthusiast, "speaks to you." That last part is an intangible that nobody else will be able to quantify. If the Subaru "speaks to your heart" and a BMW does not, you'll ultimately be happier with the Subaru. But, be sure to test drive everything that meets your requirements (and maybe even a few that don't, just to be sure.)

#151 ·
I got to drive an STI once, back in the bugeye days. The grip and power combo was intoxicating, and scary. I would have loved it in my 20's but I'm not sure that, in my 40's, it's what I'd spend $35k+ on. It's not that I care what my clients or whomever would think of me, it's that I'd want a bit more refinement with my power now.

#155 ·
I got to drive an STI once, back in the bugeye days. The grip and power combo was intoxicating, and scary. I would have loved it in my 20's but I'm not sure that, in my 40's, it's what I'd spend $35k+ on. It's not that I care what my clients or whomever would think of me, it's that I'd want a bit more refinement with my power now.
I like refinement and subtlety. So my choice was the S3, but the Golf R is nice too.

#160 ·
It's a shame you can't get a WRX or STI wagon now. :thumbdown:

#163 ·
The whole "customer/client image" thing is wayyyy over blown. The vast, vast majority of people have no idea what the difference between cars is. Most would be more impressed with this:

Than this:

(sans stripes, of course) even though the latter costs more than double. And the benz would project way more of an image than the dodge.

People know general shapes of cars (truck, sedan, SUV, hatch) and in my experience, hatches get the least respect and have the most "econo" image.

Sedans, barring a badge, generally fade together. Car people know, other people don't care if it doesn't have a 3 pointed star or a propeller or something similar. I have a rising blue golf r purchased for a bit more than $30k, and my ~11k s2000 or ~$6k NA miata get way more attention.

A sedan is a sedan is a sedan, so long as there's no badge. And people generally can't tell what a car is without the badge.

This:

is basically this:

I bet 9/10 people wouldn't even notice any differences unless you specifically asked.

#165 ·
The whole "customer/client image" thing is wayyyy over blown. The vast, vast majority of people have no idea what the difference between cars is. Most would be more impressed with this:

I bet 9/10 people wouldn't even notice any differences unless you specifically asked.
you are right. but this is NOT about impressing them. Schnell is trying not to present a childish image with the car he drives.

The same problem would result if he pulled up in a Pinto or Pacer, or an every panel beat Volvo 240 wagon... as in a bright yellow STI with a huge trunk wing.
It doesnt present the image that his clients would expect for someone in his position.

It's not about impressing, its about impression.
Very minor color (white, grey, black, silver) and equipment changes (no raised trunk spoiler) on the STI turn it mostly from an arrogant boy racer to a more professional, staid image.... without affecting 98% of the driving performance.

#191 ·
So I drove the SRT 392 Charger.

The engine is great. It's pure Murrica. The rumble, the power, etc. It's laughably, hilariously, awesome.

But that was really it for me.

The steering was horrendously light and vague. I truly believe that our old Renegade had heavy steering that felt tighter.

The car drives like a huge car. It corners nicely, but not very flat, and not very aggressively.

The steering wheel felt nice, but the buttons reminded me of the Renegade, and that got me angry.

The transmission seemed alright, but I really hate torque converters. I miss the DSG in my TTS that would downshift and forcibly "kick me in the ass" when it engaged. The transmission in the SRT is too smooth -- at least for my tastes.

That said, I will say that I was impressed with th engine and certain aspects of the car.

Nice recommendation, but it's out of the running

#203 ·
When I was getting my oil changed I saw an woman that had to be in her 70's pull up in a blue 2015 STI...She came out of that car like not a single f was given that day. At the end of the day, who cares what people think. Why would you settle on a bland and boring looking automated appliance to satisfy others opinion, life is too short. Drive what you love.

#204 ·
When I was getting my oil changed I saw an woman that had to be in her 70's pull up in a blue 2015 STI...She came out of that car like not a single f was given that day. At the end of the day, who cares what people think.
Awesome, agreed.

Why would you settle on a bland and boring looking automated appliance to satisfy others opinion, life is too short. Drive what you love.
Wait what? This STI is not suddenly "bland and boring" just because it has a lip instead of a wing. That's part of the silliness of this whole debate. Ross hungup on whether functional downforce is being lost... Others hung up on the wing not projecting the right image... It's an STI with quad-tip exhaust and a giant ****ing hoodscoop and side sills either way.

"Boring" STI Limited:

"Boy Racer":

#210 · (Edited)
I just drove a Giulia Ti. It's the best sports sedan (compact) available for sale right now. I am absolutely convinced.

I was about ready to buy the car on the spot, but current residuals are a whopping 50%, and no discounts available.

I'm not in the mood to piss away money like that. But it's an absolutely phenomenal car.

Grey with red leather. Mmmmmm. Just like my old 135i.

#211 · (Edited)
I don't understand all the controversy about the wing. If you don't like the wing, just buy one that doesn't have the option. They offer it that way for those who want to look a bit more professional. It's part of the character of the car, and it supplies a small amount of functional downforce, but it's hardly an essential item.

Personally, I thought I would de-wing my STI with a trunk swap, but it kind of grew on me. But I don't have a client-facing practice. I can understand the desire not to be too-flamboyant with the car. Like a suit, you usually don't want your clients noticing it.

I hear you on the Giulia. The lack of manual still grinds my gears, but they are truly sweet cars. That said, you've been a beta tester for FCA once already. I'd be just a tad wary of doing it again. With luck, those 50% residuals will come true and then some. Would be nice to pick up a $35k Quad in 3 years.

#213 ·
I hear you on the Giulia. The lack of manual still grinds my gears, but they are truly sweet cars. That said, you've been a beta tester for FCA once already. I'd be just a tad wary of doing it again. With luck, those 50% residuals will come true and then some. Would be nice to pick up a $35k Quad in 3 years.
The auto transmission with the paddle shifters was quite good -- but I would still prefer a manual on that car.

That said, if Alfa had even a semi-reasonable residual (say, 58%-60%), I would be signing the papers right now on a Giulia TI.

It is that good of a car. It's the first sports sedan that I have driven in a long, long time that brought back the old-school BMW feel of "man, this thing feels good to drive." Even the low-revving engine is somehow quirky and fun to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.