Aftermarket GPS options?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Aftermarket GPS options?

Quick question:

With Mothers Day coming, I want to get my mom a new GPS for her vehicle. What would you recommend that simple enough to use for a senior person?

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
      Quick question:

With Mothers Day coming, I want to get my mom a new GPS for her vehicle. What would you recommend that simple enough to use for a senior person?
      Jitterbug Smart + Google Maps?

Under-$200: TomTom Go 500/600: "The Go 600 by TomTom is a high-end offering with a 6-inch display, 3-D maps and live traffic information. The latter is received via a connection between the GPS unit and your compatible smartphone. Lifetime map updates for North America, advanced lane guidance, and an easy-to-read interface with pinch-to-zoom make the Go 600 a solid pick in its price range." Lifetime map updates, big screen, doesn't require a new headunit. (There are regular PND updates that the user needs to do by connecting the device to their computer. This is recommended once every three months. Upon purchase the customer should be registering their device, upon registration the user will then receive notifications on any and all updates and will be prompted to perform updates upon connecting to their PC.)"

~$110: TomTom VIA 1415M: "For just over $100, TomTom VIA 1415M will fulfill your basic car navigation needs. It has built-in maps of North America with free lifetime updates, and advanced lane guidance. Due to its low price, the VIA 1415 sports a fairly small 4.3-inch display with low resolution. You may be better off using your smartphone instead, but if you really prefer the look and feel of a GPS and aren't looking to spend a ton, this one's for you."

The new Garmin units seem to offer more features/integration for the money, but the TomToms seem to be the basic, no-frills choice.

If she's in a larger city, get one that shows what freeway exits look like and what lane she should be in (like the image above). I've always liked the Garmin GPSs for ease of use and features (when I used a GPS).

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Always had good times with Garmin products.

Phone + decent phone mount is definitely the way to go, however.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Always had good times with Garmin products.

Phone + decent phone mount is definitely the way to go, however.
      A phone would be ideal for a non-senior person.

A phone would be ideal for a non-senior person.
      SO's grandparents are touching 70 and use smartphones and laptops with not much issue. I don't see how a discrete GPS system would be any easier to use than Google Maps.
      Panache, bruh.
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

My mother is 72 and has no problem using a Garmin.

"hey siri (or ok google), give me directions to Bertha's house"

doesn't get any easier than that.

We bought a TomTom years ago and really like it but we only use it on really long trips. For shorter trips and finding local addresses, Google Maps on a smartphone really can't be beat for easy of use and accuracy.

Depends on how old she is or how technology challenged she is. I am using a double din GPS unit in my Golf and it's much much better than a phone/portable type device. Not sure what car she drives, but the Chinese units are great and cheap and work very well.

https://www.eonon.com/

I have something similar to this:

Speed-Driven Wallpapers: http://www.speed-driven.com

Are HUD units effective and just as reliable with conventional units/phones?
      Something about a fresh start: I have mine everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      [/thread]
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454

I would say Garmin drivesmart 50

SO's grandparents are touching 70 and use smartphones and laptops with not much issue. I don't see how a discrete GPS system would be any easier to use than Google Maps.
      You think paying $60 to $80/month for a Smartphone with a contract logical for the GPS feature of Google Maps??

You think paying $60 to $80/month for a Smartphone with a contract logical for the GPS feature of Google Maps??
      If grandma has a smart phone already, Google Maps is free. Otherwise, any of the popular, standalone GPS units will serve her just fine.

Using a smartphone while driving is both dumb and dangerous regardless of age.

Get a separate GPS device where the UI is specifically designed for car driver use and a large screen for your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      Using a smartphone while driving is both dumb and dangerous regardless of age.

Get a separate GPS device where the UI is specifically designed for car driver use and a large screen for your mom.
      I'm going to respectfully disagree, I don't see how one is more dangerous than the other. Withe= either option, the safest choice is to program in the address while you are parked. Once you are on the road there should be no difference, you have to look at the screen either way and you shouldn't need to play with the interface at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      If grandma has a smart phone already, Google Maps is free. Otherwise, any of the popular, standalone GPS units will serve her just fine.
      This^^

This is not a conundrum level decision, real simple, not that serious.

You should have started with that, bud.
      Panache, bruh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I'm going to respectfully disagree, I don't see how one is more dangerous than the other. Withe= either option, the safest choice is to program in the address while you are parked. Once you are on the road there should be no difference, you have to look at the screen either way and you shouldn't need to play with the interface at all.
      Having a dedicated GPS device with singular function and UI purpose is going to be less distracting and tempting to play with than a smartphone with who knows what on it while driving.

I really don't know how you can argue that.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      [/thread]
      Yup, because none of these GPS units are easy to read when you are over 50.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      Having a dedicated GPS device with singular function and UI purpose is going to be less distracting and tempting to play with than a smartphone with who knows what on it while driving.

I really don't know how you can argue that.
      If you are prone to distraction then that's on the driver. Whichever GPS they choose to use is kind of irrelevant. So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.