Which of these automatics will be more reliable down the road? - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Scion iA is already down to $10k for a lightly used 2016.

Doesn't the new Smert have a much improved automatic?
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Scion iA is already down to $10k for a lightly used 2016.
      That's... a really good choice. Mazda handling. SkyActiv 6AT is a great transmission. Good fuel economy.

Just gotta look past the face.

There are places in VA advertising 2017 1.4t automatic Jettas for under $13,000. Might be too big for your parking spot.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

"I am JIMP."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      That's... a really good choice. Mazda handling. SkyActiv 6AT is a great transmission. Good fuel economy.

Just gotta look past the face.
      Did you read the op?
      It's a very short urban commute over rough pavement.
      Handing does not matter.
      Tho it might be worth checking on the iA insurance as it comes fairly well equipped.

Priuses are pretty bullet-proof and work very well for shorter rush hour commutes. Don't know about insurance though.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Did you read the op?
      Handing does not matter.
      Tho it might be worth checking on the iA insurance as it comes fairly well equipped.
      It's small for easy parking and has 185/60-16 tires so it shouldn't be too harsh. I looked at them pretty hard and they are nice little cars (wish we got it in hatch form).
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Did you read the op?
      Handing does not matter.
      Doesn't need it, but it can be nice having something in the penalty box class that isn't actually a penalty box

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Due to an injury I have limited use of my right wrist.
      RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      Do you have access to at least a regular 120V outlet where you park?

There's a dealer near me (actually right across the state line in MD) that has 1 or 2 brand-new Spark EVs for sale... that can be had for $11k with all the incentives factored in. Full warranty, not used. I drove one, it's a hilarious little go-kart that really scoots around, and solves everything I didn't like about the gas-engine Spark (which I've rented a couple of times).

If you're interested, I can PM you the contact info for their internet sales manager who's actually a really decent no-bull**** guy.
      I took a closer look this morning but there are no 120V outlets from what I can see. Lighting is wired from wire pipes on ceiling. What I thought were electric boxes are the gas & water meters. Electric meters must be externally located somewhere.

The iA is a good choice. It just lacks a sunroof, heated seats, and premium sound. I don't need all of those features but some would be nice.

I've narrowed down to two cars; one being a 35K mileage VW Jetta SEL with the 2.5, the other a Fiat 500 sport with 23K miles. Fiat is $10K while Jetta is $11K before any negotiation.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 04-18-2017 at 01:08 PM.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

The iA is a good choice. It just lacks a sunroof, heated seats, and premium sound. I don't need all of those features but some would be nice.
      You can get those in a Mazda3 GT model w/ Skyactiv within budget. I think someone suggested that earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      You can get those in a Mazda3 GT model w/ Skyactiv within budget. I think someone suggested that earlier.
      Kia & Mazda, both brands I would seriously consider, are both $100+ more per month to insure vs a Jetta. Flo and green lizard want close to $300 a month for the Mazda3 or Forte.

Kia & Mazda, both brands I would seriously consider, are both $100+ more per month to insure vs a Jetta. Flo and green lizard want close to $300 a month for the Mazda3 or Forte.
      Are you a Costco member? I switched from Allstate to the Costco/Ameriprise insurance last year and it is very reasonable (here, not sure about there). New car replacement/GAP was only $12/6 months
      https://www.ameriprise.com/auto-home-insurance/Costco/

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Are you a Costco member? I switched from Allstate to the Costco/Ameriprise insurance last year and it is very reasonable (here, not sure about there). New car replacement/GAP was only $12/6 months
      https://www.ameriprise.com/auto-home-insurance/Costco/
      Thanks

Got the expected auto reply that Travelers, Amica, and others dole out.

Please write down your quote number and call us at 866.363.6153 and one of our service associates can explain the information we need.
      I'm guessing the phone conversation will involve an apology on how they cannot offer me services at this time and I can opt to receive a full written explanation by mail.

The letter will be multiple pages of word spaghetti summarized by Jersey sucks.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 04-18-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks

Got the expected auto reply that Travelers, Amica, and others dole out.

I'm guessing the phone conversation will involve an apology on how they cannot offer me services at this time and I can opt to receive a full written explanation by mail.

The letter will be multiple pages of word spaghetti summarized by Jersey sucks.
      Do you have a ticket on your record? I was putting down that I had one and got that same error message -- went through the process again, "forgot" about the ticket and it went through all online. A few months later I got a letter in the mail saying that my rates were going up $50/6 months due to the ticket. Big whoop.

FWIW they are very helpful and easy to talk to on the phone. It rings right to a person who does what you ask with no long scripts or relentless upselling.

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Do you have a ticket on your record? I was putting down that I had one and got that same error message -- went through the process again, "forgot" about the ticket and it went through all online. A few months later I got a letter in the mail saying that my rates were going up $50/6 months due to the ticket. Big whoop.

FWIW they are very helpful and easy to talk to on the phone. It rings right to a person who does what you ask with no long scripts or relentless upselling.
      I'll try calling thanks.

Total loss accident on record which is still hurting me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      MotorTrend is somehow totally wrong. It uses the "6F15" regular, non DCT automatic.

Here's a window sticker from a 2017 Focus 1.0 auto listing the 6F15
      http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....DP3FE3HL240211
      Last edited by E365; 04-18-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Learned something new from Costco.

Most insurers provide a discount and/or "rating event" for those who lack previous coverage. Not owning a vehicle for a couple years makes me a risky driver. Cheapest 6-month rate with Costco is $1367 for the Fiat 500 and using $1000 deductibles. Quote would instantly be knocked down by $250 if I had previous coverage. Might be worthwhile to go with whatever is cheapest now then shop around at renewal time.

Learned something new from Costco.

Most insurers provide a discount and/or "rating event" for those who lack previous coverage. Not owning a vehicle for a couple years makes me a risky driver. Cheapest 6-month rate with Costco is $1367 for the Fiat 500 and using $1000 deductibles. Quote would instantly be knocked down by $250 if I had previous coverage. Might be worthwhile to go with whatever is cheapest now then shop around at renewal time.
      I am always shocked at how expensive car insurance is in New Jersey. Your quote is 3-4x as much as I'm paying for my 2010 Toyota sedan here in Phoenix, and we have some of the highest rates of uninsured drivers & auto thefts in the nation. I guess on the bright side, look at how much money you saved in the last few years by not having to own a car and pay car insurance. $250 is nothing compared to the $2700/year you are being quoted now.

Quote Originally Posted by E365 View Post
      MotorTrend is somehow totally wrong. It uses the "6F15" regular, non DCT automatic.

Here's a window sticker from a 2017 Focus 1.0 auto listing the 6F15
      http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....DP3FE3HL240211
      The 2016 DID have the PowerShift. For 2017 it's a normal torque converter.

EDIT: Apparently I got that out of nowhere. I thought I had heard it switched but apparently not.
      Last edited by mittencuh; 04-18-2017 at 05:33 PM.

I hadn't realized easy to park in tight spots was a consideration- but if ultra urban commuting, it makes sense.
      Out of left field.
      What about an Outlander Sport?
      SE have heated seats, and even base 13+ ES have heated seats.
      Good ride quality (for short vehicle), great visibility, and 2" shorter than a Sonic sedan.

Available (and still cheap used) AWD which may be useful in winter.

You have to get an expensive GT trim to get a moonroof tho.

I've only seen one mention of the 7 year 100K warranty on the Focus trans. Decent loaded ones with heated seats, etc can be had for $5-8K with low miles. If its a New Jersey beater, rock a cheap Focus for 50k miles till its out of warranty.

I hadn't realized easy to park in tight spots was a consideration- but if ultra urban commuting, it makes sense.
      Out of left field.
      What about an Outlander Sport?
      SE have heated seats, and even base 13+ ES have heated seats.
      Good ride quality (for short vehicle), great visibility, and 2" shorter than a Sonic sedan.

Available (and still cheap used) AWD which may be useful in winter.

You have to get an expensive GT trim to get a moonroof tho.
      I like mine. I've put 24k trouble free miles on it in 13 months - rough miles. I drive a lot for work (15 or so stops a day, 60/40 city/highway split). I paid $15k OTD (tax/title/reg) for it (2015) last March with 22k miles on it. I have a base base ES w/5sp Manual. (It does not come with heated seats, just FYI, just heated mirrors and the 18" alloys pictured above).

Pros:
      -Comfortable, comfortable front seats. Good seating position.
      -Interior layout is very functional, materials are pretty decent for a economy car.
      -Engine has enough pep, gets good gas mileage to boot. Timing chain is a plus. Maintenance is cheap.
      -Suspension is soft. Very soft. This is both a pro and a con. It rides like a bigger vehicle..
      -Bluetooth functionality is spot on reliable. Connects every time. Bluetooth media streaming works flawlessly (both w/iPhone 7 & Nexus 5).
      -Great headlights, LED tail lights. I put a drop in HID kit in mine, factory projectors. Great cutoff, never been flashed. Super wide beam of light on the highway (all 3 lanes and then some).
      -Insurance is CHEAAAAP.
      -Cavernous with the seats down. They fold very easily. Back seat room is decent.
      -Good in the snow, albeit 2WD, with good tires.
      -Looks good, I call it "an evo on stilts" look.
      -Every publication seems to have solid reliability data, they seem to be holding up well.
      -Very easy to park in the city. Probably the easiest car I've owned to parallel park.
      -Good amount of ground clearance.
      -Great safety rating, 5 stars, good small-overlap test rating, knee airbag, etc.

Cons:
      -Base stereo leaves a lot to be desired, but I like loud music and I'm a bit of an audiophile.
      -Engine noise is kind of ridiculous at times, not the most refined.
      -5th gear is short - though the optional CVT would solve that. ~3k @ 70, 3400 @ 80. Passing in 5th is possible, though.
      -Very little aftermarket parts availability - not an issue now, but down the road..
      -Bluetooth phone calls only come out of passenger door speaker - it's just the way the headunit is. Voice commands are useless.
      -Moderate amount of road noise, though new tires (Michelin Defender) helped that.
      -Drives like a larger vehicle, good amount of body lean. Very softly sprung. Good on rough pavement, annoying when doing anything remotely aggressive, though total grip is good once the vehicle settles into a corner.
      Last edited by fireside; 04-18-2017 at 09:45 PM.
      2014 Ford Focus ST1 // fun
      2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES // daily
      2009 Kia Rio LX // hers

^

My brother still has the '11 or '12 awd SE he bought new.
      75k trouble free miles.
      They revised the suspension one year later - made it softer iirc.
      His drives quite well... probably blasphemy but the best way to describe it was jacked up Protégé5.
      But yeah- it's a very comfortable vehicle for such a small footprint.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast