Does Tesla need new designers?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Tesla need new designers?

I'm not saying Teslas are ugly or unappealing.. To me, they're just generic. They play it too safe. The styling doesn't excite but it also doesn't offend. It's on the generic, if not boring, end of the spectrum. I suppose being safe and generic helps when you're a new car company breaking into a whole new genre of vehicles.. but now that they're established... should they take more chances with their styling? You can't be a Camry forever, and even Camrys are taking more chances nowadays. Especially the Model X and the Model S. Model X just looks ungainly and out of proportion... while the new Model 3 greenhouse area is a bit too large compared to the body, thus a bit awkward.

Some concepts by independent designers.

Last edited by Dieselstation; 04-17-2017 at 08:42 PM.
      Speed-Driven Wallpapers: http://www.speed-driven.com

Yes they do if youre a car enthusiast like most on here.

However, the majority of people who are buying a Tesla fall into the same camp as those I know who own them and have them on order. The technology behind it drives their purchase, not the fact that they're car people.

Credit the artists who did the renderings that you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselstation View Post
      I suppose being safe and generic helps when you're a new car company breaking into a whole new genre of vehicles..
      Yes.

but now that they're established... should they take more chances with their styling?
      What makes you think they won't be doing that? They're only on their third model and are still establishing/developing their design language. Also, I definitely wouldn't call Tesla's designs "safe." The pre-refresh Model S, maybe. But not the X and 3.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      What makes you think they won't be doing that? They're only on their third model and are still establishing/developing their design language. Also, I definitely wouldn't call Tesla's designs "safe." The pre-refresh Model S, maybe. But not the X and 3.
      hopefully they'll go wild on the new Roadster.
      Speed-Driven Wallpapers: http://www.speed-driven.com

I was never blown away by the Tesla's appearance, but after driving a P90D w/ Ludicrous & Autopilot... it looks completely different to me.

Every other aspect of a Tesla is radically different... would you prefer it looked as over-cooked as 85% of exterior designs with loads of surfacing and styling details? Follow the trend of quirky eco-friendly designs (i3, Prius)? I'd argue the car stands out for it's simplicity, and it's certainly become iconic... not much more you could ask for from automotive design.

I'm a car enthusiast (that's arguable to some of you likely) and I find Tesla's understated but modern styling refreshing and enjoyable. Some hybrids and EVs tend to be too eye catching and end up just being plain ugly. I'm talking to you Fisker Karma, BMW i3/8 and especially you Prius. The first Volt was a great looking car, as was the ELR. Hondas, well look like any other Honda. Awkward, but that works for them.
      Last edited by patrikman; 04-17-2017 at 09:00 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Define what you think is good design. I think the Model S is quite nice, and very well done, with great proportions and interesting surfaces. Their cut lines are also very well done and compliment the form very well. I'm not a fan of the Model X, because, in general, the proportions of sporty SUVs hasn't yet grown on me (including the likes of the BMW X4 and X6).

Also keep in mind the low coefficient of drag that Tesla is aiming for, along with as little of a frontal area as possible while still allowing for class competing room.

In general, I wouldn't equate outrageous styling with good design.

while the new Model 3 greenhouse area is a bit too large compared to the body, thus a bit awkward.
      Perhaps the buyers want to be able to see out of their cars?

yes. next question.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

I think Tesla hit the nail on the head with the Model S, and the 3 is growing on me although I have other reservations about it that aren't styling-related.

Over-styled vehicles tend to look stale quickly. Tesla's styling is free of the surplus edges and corners that, notably, Toyota and Honda have been using lately. With the Model S in particular, Tesla needed something that would age well ... it's now 5 years in and there's no sign of an impending redesign, and they needed that car to be able to have a long production run while they fleshed out the rest of the lineup. I still think it is a good looking car.

The concepts above are interesting, but the need for an EV to have extremely good aerodynamics in order to have good highway range means a convertible top is not happening any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      The concepts above are interesting, but the need for an EV to have extremely good aerodynamics in order to have good highway range means a convertible top is not happening any time soon.
      I don't know about that, the combination of a well executed folding hardtop and ingeniously engineered wind deflector can go a long way.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

They sell just fine. It's like an iPod, the simpler the better.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

wonder how the new pick up will look like.

I think Tesla hit the nail on the head with the Model S, and the 3 is growing on me although I have other reservations about it that aren't styling-related.

Over-styled vehicles tend to look stale quickly. Tesla's styling is free of the surplus edges and corners that, notably, Toyota and Honda have been using lately. With the Model S in particular, Tesla needed something that would age well ... it's now 5 years in and there's no sign of an impending redesign, and they needed that car to be able to have a long production run while they fleshed out the rest of the lineup. I still think it is a good looking car.
      ^This x1000. Cars that look more interesting and in your face today seem to get outdated after a year or two, while the simple designs (S2000, Golf, 911, Aston DB9, etc) still look fantastic 10+ years down the road. That's what Tesla needed for their first car because they had a brand to establish.

The model X on the other hand...I have no words.

The looks of the cars are very redundant. They look like a big water drop. Pretty bland if you ask me.

Besides the odd (in pictures at least) proportions of the upcoming Model 3, I disagree.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

They just look like they sound!
      Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group -*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      The head gardeners name is Lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Hey leave him alone. Get off Mike Lawn.
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      All chaps are assless. If chaps have an ass then then they're pants.

They not only need new designers, they need people who understand fit and finish.

I was in the Columbus Tesla showroom and the panel gaps were just wow bad. Panel alignment was off, trim alignment was off, it was not pretty at all. A friend noted that Tesla buyers are getting NUMMI quality. It took me a few minutes to get that he was politely avoiding saying "Geo Prizm quality fit and finish". I lol'd.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

That's exactly what I was thinking.

They knew they didn't have the funds to do MCE every 2 or 3 years let alone 4 or 5 so their design had to be stylish (long-lived), but not fashionable (short-lived)... especially when you consider the tooling is hardly worn at the volumes they make. To have made it as far as they have required a monumental effort in all manner of ways including being... frugal. And Tesla does that well for the most part from design to manufacturing to sales.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      They not only need new designers, they need people who understand fit and finish.

I was in the Columbus Tesla showroom and the panel gaps were just wow bad. Panel alignment was off, trim alignment was off, it was not pretty at all. A friend noted that Tesla buyers are getting NUMMI quality. It took me a few minutes to get that he was politely avoiding saying "Geo Prizm quality fit and finish". I lol'd.
      I'd imagine that is the nature of an upstart, right? I've seen similar and while I wouldn't expect it from a luxury marque, I think most of their buyers are a lot more forgiving... tolerant (i.e. They're getting more bang in other areas that permit them leniency here.).

Of course that tolerance can only last so long.

No. The design may be generic looking, but have you ever mistaken a Tesla for something else?

Plus, when you are introducing or reintroducing "new technology" you typically don't want it competing with garish or too exciting design.

You want the technology to stand out while the design is still recognizable and wanted by the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Define what you think is good design. I think the Model S is quite nice, and very well done, with great proportions and interesting surfaces. Their cut lines are also very well done and compliment the form very well. I'm not a fan of the Model X, because, in general, the proportions of sporty SUVs hasn't yet grown on me (including the likes of the BMW X4 and X6).

Also keep in mind the low coefficient of drag that Tesla is aiming for, along with as little of a frontal area as possible while still allowing for class competing room.

In general, I wouldn't equate outrageous styling with good design.

When the S intro'd the swoopy, Aston/Jaguar-like mainstream sedans were just starting. The age of family sedans receiving some sexiness was coming about, but unlike those FWD examples, the S was blessed with RWD proportions. The sleek, aero profile just helped show that you didn't need to be an historic British marque to have style... nor did you have to go to exaggerated proportions (Karma) to find some balance.

If the S seems stale it's not so much that the design is stale or boring, but rather... IMHO... because we're blessed with a lot of handsomely-styled, mainstream vehicles today.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      Perhaps the buyers want to be able to see out of their cars?
      Not only that, but a smaller car will naturally see proportion changes that cannot follow the older sibling... if you want to maintain the level of space that is likely highly-prioritized. And we know Tesla does given they go to the point of fitting seats in the back of the S when most every MFR would shun it.

I don't think the proportion is bad at all. If you look at vehicles like a 90s Civic sedan or an E30 or 80s Golfs... you get similarly larger greenhouses. It doesn't hurt that without an ICE powertrain up front the hood doesn't need to be raised for Pedestrian Protection Regs, which drives all manner of other design changes that affect proportions like rising cowl and thus rising beltlines.

People should be happy that these BEVs can package subsystems well enough to satisfy Ped Pro AND the industrial designers. That seems to be lost of some.

Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      yes. next question.
      i could not disagree with you more.

the first 3 generations of Audi TT will always be iconic and beautiful cars... yet the exterior styling is about as simple as it comes.

the last two generations of prii will never go down in automotive history books as being renowned for their over-sculpted exterior styling.
      praise the lowered

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      Not only that, but a smaller car will naturally see proportion changes that cannot follow the older sibling... if you want to maintain the level of space that is likely highly-prioritized. And we know Tesla does given they go to the point of fitting seats in the back of the S when most every MFR would shun it.

I don't think the proportion is bad at all. If you look at vehicles like a 90s Civic sedan or an E30 or 80s Golfs... you get similarly larger greenhouses. It doesn't hurt that without an ICE powertrain up front the hood doesn't need to be raised for Pedestrian Protection Regs, which drives all manner of other design changes that affect proportions like rising cowl and thus rising beltlines.

People should be happy that these BEVs can package subsystems well enough to satisfy Ped Pro AND the industrial designers. That seems to be lost of some.
      My old 88 Accord had a very low hood and visibility was excellent. Of course it would not pass today's pedestrian collision requirements. EVs give designers a chance to move away from the current trend of high waisted gun slit greenhouses and back to something more practical.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast