Another "Would you?" thread (Passat W8 car stuff within)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Another "Would you?" thread (Passat W8 car stuff within)

Over the weekend, was just driving around a bit. When I drove by one of those independent used car lots and there sat a 2003 W8 Passat on that particular lot.

The outside looks in really nice shape. And it apparently only has around 70K miles or so (both conditions maybe meaning it was in the shop a lot and not driven all that much). I went to their website and they had several exterior/interior photos of it. Again, everything seemed in reasonably good shape for a car that cold. Though had to laugh -- one of the interior photos had a shot of the instrument panel with the "Check Engine" light on. Heh. To be fair, it could have just been a photo of the key turned one click to show what the instrument panel looked like when all lit up.

Asking price $3k.

I had a B5 Passat years ago. It was pretty much trouble-free during my time with it. I have mostly warm fuzzy memories of it. Always liked the clean look of the B5/B5.5 Passats as well. I think they have aged nicely. I had thought about picking it up and using it mainly during the winter, since it has 4Motion. Would be sorely tempted if it was a good ol' Manuel. But alas, Trump had him deported and was left with the Tiptronic tranny on it.

Though for $3000, it's not a lot to gamble with. Though for that amount, isn't that how much the average oil change is on thee things? And don't you have the pull the entire engine to do it?

Part of me is still intrigued by this though. But the W8 and Tip combo makes my inner voice say, "RUN, RUN, RUN AWAY! RUN AS FAST AND AS FAR AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM THIS MONSTROSITY!"

But what say you all?

Joe C.

Quote Originally Posted by brgjoe View Post
      But the W8 and Tip combo makes my inner voice say, "RUN, RUN, RUN AWAY! RUN AS FAST AND AS FAR AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM THIS MONSTROSITY!"
      You already said it yourself.

Run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've driven 3 W8s at used car lots. Why? Because that way I could avoid buying one. Two sedans, one wagon, all of them were auto and had CELs. The wagon I drove in a blizzard, that was fun.

For $3k if it was a wagon I'd be seriously tempted at that price, but I'm apparently a masochist. Was it better than a regular GLX V6 4motion? It sounded better.
      initiative comes to thems that wait

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Oil change does not require engine removal but it will set you back 9 quarts of synthetic.

IIRC Timing chain and O2 sensors require engine removal if done by the book. However, as with anything, there seem to be workarounds. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...owners-rejoyce
      Last edited by BostonB6; 04-18-2017 at 09:08 AM.
      RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

Quote Originally Posted by brgjoe View Post
      I had a B5 Passat years ago. It was pretty much trouble-free during my time with it.

jk, former B5 owner so I couldn't resist. Back in the day (it's been 10+ years can I say back in the day now?) the W8 Passat was popular in the B5/B5.5 world as it offered a ton of little upgrades we could add to our 1.8T/V6 cars (Xenon headlights, cooler wheels, interior dome lights, quad tip exhaust, etc.). That aside it's a car to run away from at any price...especially now that the car is over a decade old and likely has lots of deferred maintenance.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by HackAC View Post
      What would America be like today if everyone had to sit through a 2 hour TFL seminar?
      Lots of suicides

LOL...forgot about that flowchart. Heh.

Yeah, methinks I will pass. Over a decade old car with questionable reliability to begin with, probably best to avoid the risk. Though had it been equipped with a manual transmission, I probably would have at least stopped by and possibly taken it on a test drive.

Thanks for taking the time to talk some sense into me, everybody.

Joe C.

Quote Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
      lol
      initiative comes to thems that wait

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Flowchart.
      Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group -*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      The head gardeners name is Lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Hey leave him alone. Get off Mike Lawn.
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      All chaps are assless. If chaps have an ass then then they're pants.