Subaru makes Ward's Top 10 Best Interior list for the first time with the 2018 Impreza
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Subaru makes Ward's Top 10 Best Interior list for the first time with the 2017 Impreza

The new 2017 Impreza is a great looking car inside and out, I'm glad to see it land on the list.

Seven brands earn spots on the Wards 10 Best Interiors list for the first time, while three returning winners introduce groundbreaking designs and features that promise to win over new customers.
      Now in its seventh year, the Wards 10 Best Interiors list recognizes outstanding achievement in aesthetics, comfort, ergonomics, materials usage, fit-and-finish and user-friendly electronics. There is no price cap, and each year’s field of nominees consists of interiors that are all-new or have been significantly improved from the prior year.

This year, 31 interiors were eligible, and WardsAuto editors evaluated and scored them during February and March.

Based on automaker product cycles, the nominee pool tilted heavily toward the luxury side of the market. In past years, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Lexus and Mercedes-Benz have populated the list, but this year only Lexus finds its way back to the winners’ circle. Honda and Mazda are the only other winners this year to have made the list previously.

This year’s winners, in alphabetical order:

• Alfa Romeo Giulia ($50,490 as tested)
      • Bentley Bentayga ($278,730)
      • Buick LaCrosse ($50,270)
      • Honda CR-V ($34,635)
      • Lexus LC 500 ($102,995)
      • Lincoln Continental ($72,870)
      • Maserati Levante ($90,000)
      • Mazda CX-9 ($45,855)
      • Mini Countryman ($38,450)
      • Subaru Impreza ($29,260)

Subaru also lands its first Wards 10 Best Interiors trophy with, ironically, the least-expensive vehicle in its lineup. The fully re-engineered Impreza achieves a level of interior excellence never before seen from the Japanese brand, and the design team was urged to create a new styling language that could extend to other vehicles as they are refreshed.

Anchoring the Impreza’s clean interior is an all-new crisp, easy-to-use telematics screen bookended by angular vertical vents on a gently sloping instrument panel distinguished by judiciously applied contrast stitching and metallic trim. Buttons are very few but ergonomically placed.

Seats are well-bolstered and artfully sewn, and doors are finished with high-luster simulated carbon-fiber trim. We haven’t seen a compact car improve this dramatically since last year, when the Honda Civic earned a 10 Best Interiors nod.
      Customers can get into an Impreza for under $19,000, and we tested two versions: the $23,615 Sport model with fabric seats and simulated carbon-fiber gauges and the $29,260 Limited edition with leather. Both interiors were well equipped with a secondary upper information screen, driver-assistance features and enough premium trim and soft surfaces to suggest the Impreza is much more than an entry-level car.

The 2017 Wards 10 Best Interiors winners will be honored in a special ceremony during the WardsAuto Interiors Conference on May 9 at Cobo Conference Center in Detroit. Winning vehicles will be on display.
      http://wardsauto.com/interiors/subar...eriors-honored

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      The new 2018 Impreza is a great looking car inside and out, I'm glad to see it land on the list.

http://wardsauto.com/interiors/subar...eriors-honored
      The seats -- especially leather seats -- are really nice in person. Subaru also does really good fake carbon fiber trim (I can't believe I'm writing that). My Legacy Sport has the CF trim and it has an embedded 3D texture covered in clear gloss. Looks very convincing in person.

IMO, the rest of the interior is a huge improvement, though not necessarily groundbreaking for the segment in terms of design or materials.
      =

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      Where is the GTI?
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Subaru doesn't deserve its accolades.

The new Impreza really is a great looking car inside and out, especially in Sport trim. Too bad it's still painfully slow.
      2015 Passat 1.8T Sport
      - Needs Moar Low -

Nice

Pretty good list this year, I agree with 3/4s of it as usual
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Quote Originally Posted by StlVDub View Post
      The new Impreza really is a great looking car inside and out, especially in Sport trim. Too bad it's still painfully slow.
      It's an econobox.
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      It's an econobox.
      Yes, but look around today, nearly all econoboxes have great, quick(er) engines now...mostly because of turbos. Civic, Golf, Cruze, Elantra (Sport), Sentra (SR Turbo, Nismo). I really feel like the Impreza could do a lot better and still be affordable. I just feel like spending $27k - $29k for a loaded model should grant you a little better than a 9 second 0-60 time. Econo cars aren't like they used to be, power-wise. Except for a select few, this one included.
      2015 Passat 1.8T Sport
      - Needs Moar Low -

The infotainment system in the Impreza does catch my eyes, but the rest of the interior doesn't do anything to set itself apart from the herd.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Yes, but look around today, nearly all econoboxes have great, quick(er) engines now...mostly because of turbos. Civic, Golf, Cruze, Elantra (Sport), Sentra (SR Turbo, Nismo). I really feel like the Impreza could do a lot better and still be affordable. I just feel like spending $27k - $29k for a loaded model should grant you a little better than a 9 second 0-60 time. Econo cars aren't like they used to be, power-wise. Except for a select few, this one included.
      Subaru will sell you a WRX. Also lol for comparing to hopped-up Sentra and Elantras.
      Last edited by Elite_Deforce; 04-18-2017 at 11:36 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

The WRX and STI used to be Impreza trims. Now they are separate models, but still share a lot of basic underpinnings with the Impreza. Subaru will kindly direct you to the WRX/STI if you want something with a little more pep. And you can get a perfectly nice WRX for $27-29k. The only difference is that Subaru has wider differentiation between performance and non-performance model. The Cruze/Elantra/Sentra do not have true performance variants like Subaru does.

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Where is the GTI?
      The list is made up of new-for-2017 models (by the way, OP, the new Impreza is a 2017, not 2018) and the GTI is not new. I know an interior update is coming for 2018, but it's possible that it's still ineligible since it's just a refresh, or, if it is eligible, the 2018 has yet to be released.
      You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Teach View Post
      (by the way, OP, the new Impreza is a 2017, not 2018)
      Yea, yea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      The WRX and STI used to be Impreza trims. Now they are separate models, but still share a lot of basic underpinnings with the Impreza. Subaru will kindly direct you to the WRX/STI if you want something with a little more pep. And you can get a perfectly nice WRX for $27-29k. The only difference is that Subaru has wider differentiation between performance and non-performance model. The Cruze/Elantra/Sentra do not have true performance variants like Subaru does.
      Then perhaps they should call it something other than "Sport". because it aint sporty, by any stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by BongTechnician View Post
      Then perhaps they should call it something other than "Sport". because it aint sporty, by any stretch.
      Sport ≠ sporty

Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Compare the base engine times of the Impreza and the base engines of the other cars and you'll see that it isn't as slow as you you think. You want a fast Impreza for $29k? Buy a WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Teach View Post
      The list is made up of new-for-2017 models (by the way, OP, the new Impreza is a 2017, not 2018) and the GTI is not new. I know an interior update is coming for 2018, but it's possible that it's still ineligible since it's just a refresh, or, if it is eligible, the 2018 has yet to be released.
      That was a joke for all of the people saying how bad the interior, because it's not and this is bonafide proof.

Quote Originally Posted by BongTechnician View Post
      "Sport" usually doesn't really mean performance in the automotive world. Heck, there have been minivans with "sport" trims. The "sport" doesn't necessarily mean motorsport.

Ehh... Civic in base trim still comes with a 2.0L and the Corollas and Sentras (let's look at the trims that actually sell ) are not using turbos. I do agree that the top trim Impreza and Crosstrek should come with the different engine.

That impreza center stack looks porsche ish

"Sport" usually doesn't really mean performance in the automotive world. Heck, there have been minivans with "sport" trims. The "sport" doesn't necessarily mean motorsport.
      inconceivable! But to put the word "sport" on something with a motor in it clearly references... "motor sport". Back to my point, its a blatant misnomer.

edit:
      minivans can do whatever they want because they are minivans and they are all terrible no matter the trim.
      Last edited by BongTechnician; 04-18-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xo_vw View Post
      Ehh... Civic in base trim still comes with a 2.0L and the Corollas and Sentras (let's look at the trims that actually sell ) are not using turbos. I do agree that the top trim Impreza and Crosstrek should come with the different engine.
      This is what I meant by my comments. I'm not talking about comparing base, stripped-down versions. I'm basically comparing fully-loaded trims. When I say Civic I mean the 1.5T models, Sentra the SR Turbo (yes I know they don't sell). What I mean is a lot of manufacturers now offer econo cars with a nice, well-equipped interior AND a punchy engine to go with it. For example, what if I wanted to spend no more than $25k but I wanted well-equipped and a good motor. Subaru doesn't have that options. Yes there's the WRX, but it's pricier and overkill for people who would want what I'm describing. I'm sorry for evidently making a stupid comment, but I just feel like many other manufacturers have offerings like that.
      2015 Passat 1.8T Sport
      - Needs Moar Low -

Quote Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
      Subaru doesn't deserve its accolades.
      We are talking about interiors here.

Appears Ward's responds with spite.

All the WRX comments would be valid if the WRX/STI were moving to this platform any time soon, but they probably won't.
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      All the WRX comments would be valid if the WRX/STI were moving to this platform any time soon, but they probably won't.
      They never will. The WRX/STI has been split up into its own chassis, which is separately developed. But there is still a lot of crossover, and it's not like the WRX is on an ancient platform.

They never will. The WRX/STI has been split up into its own chassis, which is separately developed. But there is still a lot of crossover, and it's not like the WRX is on an ancient platform.
      The interior of the next WRX/STI will absolutely be this, or something extremely similar, when they release the next one in 2019 or 2020. Even though the 2015+ WRX/STI are their own chassis the interior of my 2015 is still almost identical to the current Forester and the 2016 Impreza. I imagine the 2018 Forester will also have this new interior.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast