2017 Elantra: the new Family car. Update and log. Caution: this will be boring.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2017 Elantra: the new Family car. Update and log. Caution: this will be boring.

I finished out my Civic thread by actually leasing a new Elantra. While the Civic has more back seat room, a bit more trunk room and is a slightly quieter ride, it was just outside of what we wanted to pay, and the local dealer wouldn't budge on the price.

For those curious, its a base model 17 Elantra with just a couple of options. Alloy wheels and floormats and the upgraded ICE with Apple Carplay.
      I scored it for essentially nothing down for $185/ mo. I make my first payment of $185 and drove off. No other fees. That's tax, title, fees, etc. $185. Not too shabby, IMO.

We recently took it on an 8 hour round trip journey to Amarillo Texas.

First, let me tell you what I don't like.
      The tires. They're loud. The rest of the car is quite quiet, but those tires on that awful highway surface in Northern Texas was seriously bad news. I'll be swapping out for Michelins very soon.

That's it.

Let me start with my favorite things.
      1. Fuel economy. For the drive down there, we averaged 44.5 mpg. We had a ton of wind and I drove quite a bit faster home and averaged 39.1 mpg.
      2. Size. Outside of rear seat legroom, the car exceeds expectations in regards to interior space.
      3. Looks. Its a handsome car, but this thing does not stand out. It blends in and no one pays attention to it, which is what I'm looking for.
      4. Engine and trans. Its only 147 hp, but it moves quite well. Not fast, but its adequate when I need to pass on a two lane highway. The 6 speed is butter smooth.
      5. Seats. I like these a lot more than I thought I would. No fatigue, just decent seats thats look to wear well, and are made of material that looks to repel liquids and stains.

Anyways, if you're looking for a good A to B appliance for $185 a month with decent options, this is a solid option.

I'll keep this updated regularly.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Lease (lol) or purchase?

How long was the finance period?

I don't have COMPLETE trust that it would be a long-term great car(I tend to keep my cars for ten years), but I do think it is an exceedingly good looking car...

Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Lease (lol) or purchase?

The very first sentence.

36 mo.

Also, I'm probably a bad candidate to outright purchase a new car.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

They are good cars, and for the money, not much can come close.

In the ones I rented, my old back gets sore. It seems the bottom cushion doesn't have enough give, and my tailbone hurts after a long trip. Might just be me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Lease (lol) or purchase?

I finished out my Civic thread by actually leasing a new Elantra
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      and are made of material that looks to repel liquids and stains.

I recall Hyundai mentioning that feature when the current Santa Fe came out. They even had a name for it found on a tag sewn into the seams on the seats. I guess the feature spread throughout their line up. But maybe it's basically the Scotch guard spray you can get at any auto parts store?

These new Elantras seem to be pretty sharp cars. I certainly think it looks sharper than the latest Civic.

If I were to get one, I'd go with the Value Edition. Power moonroof, power driver's seat, heated front seats and exterior mirrors, leather wrapped steering wheel, etc.

I wonder how the legroom and thigh support would be for a six-foot driver.

I've been eyeing the 2017 Sonata, with $4000 cash back on the Sport and $6000 cash back on the Limited 2.4 and Sport 2.0T this month. The latter cars can be had for $19,500 to $21,500. MSRP is around $28K.

Cars have come so damn far since circa 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
      I don't have COMPLETE trust that it would be a long-term great car(I tend to keep my cars for ten years), but I do think it is an exceedingly good looking car...
      You drive not only a Nissan, but America's cheapest car and you are questioning Hyundai reliability? Does not compute.

Quote Originally Posted by RobMarkToo View Post
      Cars have come so damn far since circa 2000.
      Maybe, maybe not, depending on what you think is an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      Are you a politician?
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      You drive not only a Nissan, but America's cheapest car and you are questioning Hyundai reliability? Does not compute.
      First-gen Versa is damn near bulletproof as long as you don't have the CVT. It's one of the most successful "world cars" ever built; I believe it's still sold in South America as the Dodge Trazo.
      Last edited by Roboturner913; 04-18-2017 at 04:59 PM.

LOVE the interiors of current Elantras and Sonatas regardless of price.

$185/month lolwut.

I also dig the Elanta. I think I liked the previous gen a little better; a friend at work has one and it's very nice. I like the Sonata as well, almost bought one before deciding I didn't need quite that much car.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Are you a politician?

Anything but....

Again, there are many good things about current day products but also many BAD things. When it comes to the overall
      durability, and cost and ease of serviceability questions, plus things like nimble handling, light weight, better controls like steering,
      dry cable clutches...I'd say the older late 80s and 90s products are far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      The tires. They're loud. The rest of the car is quite quiet, but those tires on that awful highway surface in Northern Texas was seriously bad news. I'll be swapping out for Michelins very soon.
      Michelins help a bit but everything is pretty loud on those "chip seal" roads. It's a shame because a lot of the fun, curvy farm/ranch roads out in the country are paved with it and there isn't much grip.

Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Anything but....

Again, there are many good things about current day products but also many BAD things. When it comes to the overall
      durability, and cost and ease of serviceability questions, plus things like nimble handling, light weight, better controls like steering,
      dry cable clutches...I'd say the older late 80s and 90s products are far better.
      Was just teasing you.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Was just teasing you.

If I was a politician I would as you could see fail miserably. I'm all about the blunt truth feelings and PC be damned.

Nice deal, OP. I am really growing to like these as well and I was mad anti-Korean forever. Out of curiosity, did you price out a Sport?

Anything but....

Lol.

The 80s and 90s was a golden era, to be sure. But we are currently living in an unprecedented era of motoring. Full stop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Nice pickup, and great car for the price.
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by HackAC View Post
      What would America be like today if everyone had to sit through a 2 hour TFL seminar?
      Lots of suicides

My wife has a Limited and loves it. Apart from feeling like the rear end is underdamped, it's a nice full-featured economy sedan.
      Jag är Sverige!

I found there is hesitation when you hit the go pedal.

Good choice. I recently test drove a Sport with a 6-speed manual, and it was a very nice car, especially for the money. I agree about the looks. Unlike some/most other compact sedans, the Elantra isn't trying too hard. It's just clean and relatively simple, inside and out. I agree that Hyundai knows how to make an automatic. The 6-speed in our Tucson is really smooth and responsive.

44.5mpg is quite impressive too. I find it odd that there are still new diesels coming to market when basic gas engines are so efficient and less expensive in pretty much every way, but I guess people have their preferences.

Yep, I agree.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast