Am I an idiot? (E46 content ahead)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I an idiot? (E46 content ahead)

What I have now:
      1) a perfectly reliable 2015 Mazda 6 that very pretty, rides well, and I like just fine, but I am starting to get a little bored with (needs moar power).
      2) a Laguna Blue 94 miata that is very reliable for its age and is a fun weekend toy.

What I'm considering:
      Selling both and picking up this 2006 330Ci ZHP convertible, 75K miles. According to the seller it is up to date on all maintenance, including fresh valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket and VANOS oil line/seals this week. He has a PPI that I haven't seen yet, but will likely be looking at the car tomorrow. The only downside is it's an automatic, though having had one in the 6 for the last few years has warmed me to them some.

Why:
      I had a 325 convertible a few years ago, and I miss it.
      No more car payment
      Two cars to one helps taxes and insurance
      It's a 330Ci ZHP

Why not:
      It's an 11 year old BMW

I am familiar with the increased care and feeding of BMW, but am I buying a ticking time bomb? Help me TCL, you're my only hope.
      Dan
      Former: '87 Jetta GLI, '97 Jetta GL, '01 A4 1.8TQ, '08 TT Roadster, '01 325Cic (RIP), lots o' Miatas
      Current: '15 Mazda6, '94 Miata, '10 Miata

A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      If it was a stick I'd say 100% yes. Since it's an auto, I'll say 80% yes, only because that auto has a bad habit of losing reverse. Keep your eyes on the horizon, never look back, and it shouldn't be an issue.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Get rid of the Miata only otherwise you know you're being an idiot.

you've got two great cars that get a lot of cred. The 6 is so practical, and the Miata is pure fun....Trade for an 11-yr old Bimmer? Don't do it!

Maybe.

I have a 2005 ZHP vert and I love it. The one you're looking at is right at the age/mileage where it needs a lot of stuff:

- Full cooling system overhaul
      - Control arm bushings; various other perishable suspension items.
      - Probably shocks

Once you address all that, it'll be good for another 80k.

Check this out: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=896234

Quote Originally Posted by abacabdan View Post
      What I have now:
      1) a perfectly reliable 2015 Mazda 6 that very pretty, rides well, and I like just fine, but I am starting to get a little bored with (needs moar power).
      2) a Laguna Blue 94 miata that is very reliable for its age and is a fun weekend toy.

What I'm considering:
      Selling both and picking up this 2006 330Ci ZHP convertible, 75K miles. According to the seller it is up to date on all maintenance, including fresh valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket and VANOS oil line/seals this week. He has a PPI that I haven't seen yet, but will likely be looking at the car tomorrow. The only downside is it's an automatic, though having had one in the 6 for the last few years has warmed me to them some.

Why:
      I had a 325 convertible a few years ago, and I miss it.
      No more car payment
      Two cars to one helps taxes and insurance
      It's a 330Ci ZHP

Why not:
      It's an 11 year old BMW

I am familiar with the increased care and feeding of BMW, but am I buying a ticking time bomb? Help me TCL, you're my only hope.
      Not sure about giving up the blue Miata..you might regret it. In regards to the E46, what does "up to date" on the maintenance mean? What you mentioned are good items that was replaced but make sure the whole cooling system needs to be replaced at that miles/year. Also, I am guessing that it still rides on original suspension? If it is, the shocks are already blown (though it may not feel like it) as well as the rubber bushings. You are also aware that other items such as DISA valve, CVV valve and other common E46 needs to be done if they havent been already. Being an automatic, the ZF tranny , more like the torque converter may leak it seals around 100k miles. Its somewhat common but replacment TC is not bad. If you can do most of this work, I say go for it. Once you fix all the common E46 stuff, it is a pretty solid car. The vert is classic timeless design..one of my favorites.

Thanks for the replies. Control arms have been replaced. Shocks and the cooling system are at the top of my questions list. I'll ask about tranny maintenance as well.

Selling the 6 is overcoming logic, not heart. Selling the Miata is the other way around. But I find I just don't drive it much anymore. I've realized I really want another 4 seat convertible as a DD and haven't found anything I like as much as a Bimmer.

I should also add that my better half has an NC Miata, so there would still be one in the household.
      Last edited by abacabdan; 04-19-2017 at 12:34 PM.
      Dan
      Former: '87 Jetta GLI, '97 Jetta GL, '01 A4 1.8TQ, '08 TT Roadster, '01 325Cic (RIP), lots o' Miatas

Why would any self-respecting car guy be driving a toaster appliance Mazda Accord 6?

100% I'd Trade both for the E46. Just not an automatic one.
      Last edited by woodenSpoon; 04-19-2017 at 12:39 PM.

This car with the ZHP package is one of my FAVORITE CARS EVER. So if it's in good condition and not a rolling POS, I say buy buy buy.

What I have now:

What I'm considering:
      If you're bored with a 6 and a Miata, the E46 330 is not going to set the world on fire for you no less an auto 330. Also, any BMW with 75k miles is going to need a full suspension overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenSpoon View Post
      Why would any self-respecting car guy be driving a toaster appliance Mazda Accord 6?

100% I'd Trade both for the E46. Just not an automatic one.
      Why would any self-respecting car guy drive an auto convertible 3 series?

See how that works?

Quote Originally Posted by BltByKrmn View Post
      Why would any self-respecting car guy drive an auto convertible 3 series?

See how that works?
      Well this is just a roller coaster of emotions.
      Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      If it was a stick I'd say 100% yes. Since it's an auto, I'll say 80% yes, only because that auto has a bad habit of losing reverse. Keep your eyes on the horizon, never look back, and it shouldn't be an issue.
      This is pretty much my reaction. I had an E46 325 vert with a manual and it was pretty fun while a friend had a 325 with an automatic and it just wasn't nearly as fun. Personally, unless your commute warrants having an auto, I would look for a manual.

No more car payment
      Quote Originally Posted by VAB5 View Post
      I have a 2005 ZHP vert and I love it. The one you're looking at is right at the age/mileage where it needs a lot of stuff:

- Probably shocks
      The ZHP you're looking at isn't in constant-needy mode yet, but like VAB said it WILL need things. Sometimes the lack of a car payment just becomes an increased maintenance tab.

Otherwise, if you're fine with an AT ZHP vert and the price is reasonable (not always the case with ZHPs), go for it.
      08 c30 | 10 xc70 | seventwosix

Quote Originally Posted by VAB5 View Post
      Maybe.

- Probably shocks

Once you address all that, it'll be good for another 80k.
      100% agree with this assessment. I'm a 5-year ZHP coupe owner, currently at 90k miles. All this stuff has been addressed on my car. The drivetrain is bulletproof. The steering is sublime, arguably the best-driving car BMW ever built. Perfect compromises between performance/handling/daily driver comfort.

'05 E46 330Ci ZHP coupé ..PD99819
      '16 Golf R 6MT/DCC/DAP

I support this. As an e46 owner, I can say it's one of the best and most reliable cars I have owned. I just took my 323i on 800 mile one way road trip during Easter break. No issues. Didn't expect any. I'm looking for a ZHP sedan myself. I'm still searching.

I should add that after addressing all that stuff (total cooling system, suspension bits) at a great local indy shop, I use the ZHP as my daily driver, with 113k on the clock.

Idiot to sell the Miata. Ditch the Mazda 6 and pick up a hardtop ZHP. Problem solved

My dad has had a manual ZHP coupe as his daily driver for 6 or 7 years now, and even at 190k-ish miles, it looks and drives great. He did recently go through and replace the Vanos seals, a valve cover gasket that was leaking oil, and the fuel pump. I think you should definitely do it. I'd even argue that selling a newer depreciating car and replacing it with a car that is nearing the bottom of its depreciation curve is the logical choice.
      Last edited by r_fostoria; 04-19-2017 at 04:28 PM.

The E46 suffers from metal fatigue where the rear subframe mounts to the body. Make sure this one does not have the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

From my chair here, I would not sell either car. Spend some money on Miata modzzz.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Automatic?

Meh.

(inb4 Chris_V)
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

I say no cuz its automatic. But that's just me.

Tune the 6 at Orange Virus, great daily.
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R

Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      The E46 suffers from metal fatigue where the rear subframe mounts to the body. Make sure this one does not have the issue.

Early E46 that was an issue. After 2002 that happening is very rare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast