VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

'09 VR6 4Motion suspension options

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ShowYourTTs 
#1 · (Edited)
hey all. I've been doing some searching. What I'm finding is mostly centered around the FWD 2.0t. So wanted to specifically ask the VR6 4Motion knowledge folks here for some advice / options please.

My '09 is pushing though corners and is becoming exceptional soft in the front. I'm sure due to the 109K on the ODO and the extra weight of the VR6 and transfer case etc.

I'm looking to upgrade to either springs and shocks or a coilover. This is my daily driver. Looking to potentially lower a bit and stiffen it up. What I'm really looking for is to balance the front and rear a little more. I'd rather have the ride a touch more firm than soft. I'm a old school Mk1 and Mk2 Jetta guy at heart and also currently drive a Mk1 TT. I'd like to say I prefer "firm, but not harsh." I also prefer the lowering to be "subtle but intentional looking."

I'm not looking to drop $1500.
I'm not looking for air suspension in any way, shape or form.

I'm thinking the Eibach pro-Kit with Bilstiens kit found here is a good option: http://www.ajusa.com/Bilstein-46-184399-B12-Pro-Kit-Suspension-Kit-acb2b4.html Unless there is an adjustable shock out there that's comparable in price point. Or a coilover that's good quality for a couple hundred more.

What other options are out there and what are the general consensus on build quality and ride quality?

Thanks all!

See less See more
#2 ·
Eibach springs, 85106.140: http://www.lmperformance.com/829741...to-2012.html?gclid=CKXAjO3NstMCFYs6gQodIcgL5Q
(Jegs price matched that price above for me EASILY on their website...just put in the price & the website link--if you don't want to buy from the site above)

Koni Sports: https://www.tunersports.com/koni-sp...-1488sport-x-2-8040-1352sport-x-2_p19839.html
(plus there might be a rebate too)

Add some new front strut mounts, strut bearings, & rear shock mounts....you'd be into it all for like $900.
I'd replace the front swaybar endlinks too though

I'm running the same/similar setup :thumbup:

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
I had my 09 VR6 4motion CC for almost 2 years, and there isn't a ton of stuff available for the platform. Honestly, H&R springs, not full coilovers, are probably your best bet. For $200 shipped which gets a 1 1/2" drop in the front and 1" in the rear (as I recall) you can't beat it. Also, because of the heavier engine and 4 motion, you'll want to look for HD springs & coilovers if you go that direction.

#6 · (Edited)
Sweet. Thanks for confirming the Koni fitment.

I'm partial to the Eibach's. Last set of H&R's I ran on my '95 URS6 broke and I swapped to Eibach. It was apparently a problem for H&R for a while. Ride quality was better with the Eibach's.

Thanks for the help all. I think I'm going to go the Eibach / Koni route. Only thing I don't like about the Koni's is that the rear's aren't adjustable on the car. SPAX makes a rebound and dampening adjustable, while on the car, shock. Doesn't look like they have one for the B6 Passat though.

#7 ·
I set mine to full soft and leave them there, personally. We have crappy roads here in Michigan and I want a comfortable ride though.
Koni recommends a 1/2 turn from full soft, and then as they age/wear....you can turn them stiffer to compensate/get more life out of them (but that would take a while)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.