The Insurance Lounge: Liability coverage when hiring a classic car in Europe?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

The Insurance Lounge: Liability coverage when hiring a classic car in Europe?

Hello all,
      In a few weeks I will go on vacation in the UK. During that time, I will hire a 1972 MGB GT for 2 days. I gave my deposit to the hiring company and everything was okay until one day the company contacts me saying that their insurance deductible/liability has increased to a few thousand pounds. The company told me that since it's a large sum of money, I shoud get insurance coverage for this, but it is not obligatory. I know that you can get insurance for this with "regular" rentals, you can even have it included on certain credit cards. Usually it is pretty cheap, about 5$ a day.

But now I'm facing a different situation. Insurers can cover the liability for up to 50 000 pounds (which is more than enough in my case), but do not want to insure if the rented car is over 20 years old. I searched around for different companies, and it's all the same. Can someone on this great forum point me towards a place that offers this kind of service? I cannot really afford 3000 pounds in the event of an accident and I don't want to cancel my rental (even if the rental company is very comprehensive and is willing to cancel the booking it need be). Thank you TCL

Do you have an umbrella policy with your homeowners insurance? Many of them will cover weird things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      Do you have an umbrella policy with your homeowners insurance? Many of them will cover weird things like this.
      I rent. But I will read my policy again, I might find something interesting.

Is this GT a V8 model? Or the same engine we got here?
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

No it's the 1.8 that we also had here. 95 hp.

I found a Spitfire 1300 somewhere else that has a much smaller insurance excess amount. I might go for this one. Insurance in the UK is different from here, there doesn't seem to be a way to be fully covered...

Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      It likely will not cover a car driven in europe.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

You should not be having to find an insurance yourself.
      If the rental company can't offer you an optional insurance that has liability coverage, I'd find a different company.

Personally I've never gone for additional insurances but the deductible is also often quite reasonable.