2001 Mercedes S500 AMG: TCL's Thoughts???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

2001 Mercedes S500 AMG: TCL's Thoughts???

What does the TCL think about these cars? They have been growing on me lately and starting to think I might be leaning towards buying one if the price is right
      Tinted/APR CAI/APR Stage 1/Debadged/VW Chrome Exhaust Tips/DeAuto Interior LED Kit/VMR 710's 18x8.5 Matte Black/Black B7 Passat Grille/Black Front & Back Emblems/VWR Sport Springs/Bilstein Touring Shocks & Sruts/Side Mirror Retrofit/ECS Battery Cover/Retrofit GTI RSB/ECS Aspherical Mirror Set: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...13-Jetta-Build

I drove a coworker's and it was a piece of crap. Can't believe what it cost when new.
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

This era of S-class is... difficult. I love them and still like the look, but they are very complicated, and at an age where things will go wrong for sure.

I'd only buy one with extensive records. To give yourself an idea, go to pelicanparts.com and price out just one air suspension shock.
      - A bunch of old, tough, unbreakable German iron
      - One temperamental, stubborn, fragile Italian thing
      - One Swedish memoriam

I'll forever prefer the lines of the the prior generation. I've never driven either, though.

In regards to that car, you'd have to become a miner for truth and delusion, before you get to shine.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

The W220 is the perfect combination of old enough for major components to fail, new enough to be extremely complicated, and right in the middle of the "malaise era" for Mercedes in terms of quality and reliability. Seriously, Mercedes from this era are junk. Don't walk, run away.

The previous gen S and the E38 will still come with 4 figure repair bills and will nickle and dime you, but their core components are very robust, and their styling is timeless compared to the W220. The LS430 is also an excellent choice and the most reliable option.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

I am surprised to see a W140 being recommended over a W220.
      W140s are usually not very popular on here.

An early W221 is worth the extra scratch
      Wasting time on VWVortex since 2002

And this is why I love TCL, sounds like another problem car averted!!
      Tinted/APR CAI/APR Stage 1/Debadged/VW Chrome Exhaust Tips/DeAuto Interior LED Kit/VMR 710's 18x8.5 Matte Black/Black B7 Passat Grille/Black Front & Back Emblems/VWR Sport Springs/Bilstein Touring Shocks & Sruts/Side Mirror Retrofit/ECS Battery Cover/Retrofit GTI RSB/ECS Aspherical Mirror Set: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...13-Jetta-Build

Better be a Mercedes mechanic or have deep pockets if you're looking at one of those. Or both maybe.

First of all, don't do it. Second of all, there is no S500 AMG. If you are going to ignore people and buy it, look out for the following:

1) Make sure the air bags don't have any leaks and the compressor is healthy (Airmatic). If it has ABC just skip
      2) Make sure the gauges don't dim or flicker under any condition
      3) Check that the transmission engages gears promptly. It's probably already failed once though.
      4) CHECK FOR RUST
      5) Check to ensure the xenons haven't turned pink
      6) Ensure the front suspension isn't knocking; also check for shock tower damage
      7) Make sure the soft closing assist works on all doors
      8) Check that seat heaters still work
      9) Make sure AC works on all fan speeds
      10) Keyless Go? Make sure sensors work on all doors and the car can still start with the wallet card
      11) Check to see if auto-dimming side mirrors still work. They're probably broken and have turned the mirrors orange or pink.

Honestly you'll skip a lot of headaches by finding a facelift car, with the most reliable being the short-wheelbase S350.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Second of all, there is no S500 AMG.

come for this.
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho
      Before you take the tact of denigrating a group, you should empathize with the situation/history and understand the facts. It might not make for great debate on forums, but it helps with personal awareness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
      I am surprised to see a W140 being recommended over a W220.
      W140s are usually not very popular on here.
      W140's aren't simple cars either. But they're the last generation of S-class built to the old "cost-no-object" standard, while the W220 suffered badly from obvious attempts at cost cutting production methods. So it's not as well built, and much more complicated, which isn't a great combo platter.

But I do remember an AMG package for W220's from the factory. I've seen it on both S430's and S500's from that era, with mild ground effects and AMG wheels.
      Last edited by MylesPH1; 04-20-2017 at 10:52 AM.
      - One Swedish memoriam

Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      The W220 is the perfect combination of old enough for major components to fail, new enough to be extremely complicated, and right in the middle of the "malaise era" for Mercedes in terms of quality and reliability. Seriously, Mercedes from this era are junk. Don't walk, run away.

The previous gen S and the E38 will still come with 4 figure repair bills and will nickle and dime you, but their core components are very robust, and their styling is timeless compared to the W220. The LS430 is also an excellent choice and the most reliable option.
      Sums it up for me.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      But I do remember an AMG package for W220's from the factory. I've seen it on both S430's and S500's from that era, with mild ground effects and AMG wheels.
      An AMG sports package does not an AMG make.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Look up "Tavarish" on YouTube to see his $3000(?) W220 daily driver project. Overall, I think his car has been pretty kind to him, but I'd cosign what 88c900t said above for a majority of these cars. If you don't mind the idea of buying a $4000 banger and driving it until nothing works anymore, great. But don't expect easy ownership; as stated, for that you should be in an LS430.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      An AMG sports package does not an AMG make.
      Truer words were never spoken. But there was an AMG badge on the car, so to the general population, hey look, it's an AMG!

It wasn't as egregious as the guys putting S55 and V8 Kompressor badges on S430's, along with weld-on quad pipe outlets
      - One Swedish memoriam

To the OP, take the comments with a grain of salt. Most of them have not owned a S-class of this generation.

My brother was a tech for MBZ for many years until 2005 when he opened his own shop focusing on servicing Euro cars. Our family has owned mostly E-classes but we purchased a 2004 S500 with ~135k miles a few years back. It was totaled in a head on collision with a 4runner @ 45 mph but for the few months I had it, it was fantastic. My brother serviced it for a few years so we knew exactly what we were buying. It was maintained exceptionally well. I personally loved the ride and driving experience, especially on the freeway. The key is to purchase a 2003+ model year that has extensive records and low/average miles. If you want Camry maintenance costs, then buy a Camry.

My brother has advised me to stay away from the W140's as they are more costly to maintain (mostly due to age) and recommended the W220 over it
      Last edited by 4th Branch; 04-26-2017 at 06:01 AM.

Pre-facelift W220s will eat you alive. Then haunt you.

There is literally no reason ever to buy one. None.

You can't give me one of these. This is coming from someone with a garage full of Mercedes-Benz.