#VANLIFE, The Bohemian Social-Media Movement - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Of course it had to be a Vanagon.

If VW had some unused VIN numbers from those days, they could make a fortune.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

While I won't knock someone finding innovative ways to make a living....the whole vanlyfe thing is so stupid.

They make living on the road look glamorous...sitting in the summer sunshine grassy fields with your pretty hipster girlfriend next to your mint vintage VW with plenty of money and yet no job.

But in reality anyone who's got no job and is living on the road is in a Dodge Status sleeping in Walmart parking lots

I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Of course it had to be a Vanagon.

If VW had some unused VIN numbers from those days, they could make a fortune.
      You want unused VINs? Pulaski, VA has plenty. [MAP] How many can you count?

#knockknock
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      While I won't knock someone finding innovative ways to make a living....the whole vanlyfe thing is so stupid.

They make living on the road look glamorous...sitting in the summer sunshine grassy fields with your pretty hipster girlfriend next to your mint vintage VW with plenty of money and yet no job.
      I'm also willing to bet that a lot of those beautiful waking up next to beautiful landscapes are staged because you can't just pull over and camp wherever you want. They probably pull over, open the appropriate door that shows the view, throw on a blanket and take a photo.

Things we don't get to see:

Them sitting around in a Walmart parking lot waiting for them to open so she can take a ****.
      Climbing mountains in second or third gear in the truck lane.
      Adding coolant
      Them sitting around in a Walmart parking lot waiting for the right sun so they can drive to the spot and hope to capture the romantic image of their "camp stite"
      How trashed the inside of the van between the fancy photos.
      Troubleshooting why the ***ing stove won't light.
      Camping in service station parking lots waiting for a parts to be delivered.
      Adding coolant
      The arguing during that five day rain storm over who's turn it is to walk the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      How much longer before hippies get their hands on Mitsubishi Delicas or Toyota LiteAce 4WD vans and ruin it like the Vanagon?
      Too late. Check out @desktoglory on IG.

Quote Originally Posted by audi80Quattro View Post
      Goddamn these Canadians

If you're going to post a giant wall of text, at least throw some pictures in to break up the monotony...
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." -H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by BltByKrmn View Post
      This reminds me of the 'Boyfriends of Instagram' account showing all the significant others stretching, posing, climbing, whatever in order to get that "shot" for IG.

Van life has been a thing for a while now. It is ridiculous and over selling what is probably a miserable experience.

I gotta admit, I'm intrigued by the concept.

I can't help but picture the two, desperate for "content" getting monumental fights when their 'likes' decrease. I also wonder how much longer until the masses turn on them for becoming sell-outs. Their endorsement for that TV show seems, well, forced. How much longer in their quest for sponsors and 'content' do they take a contract with Heinz ketchup or Dunkin Donuts and the whole thing falls off into the bay and they really are living in a van down by the river.

I hate everything about this. probably because a little jelly, but mostly because hypocrite.
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      seagull posting on a forum near you!

Quote Originally Posted by audi80Quattro View Post
      http://desktoglory.com/

I'm glad they're back in North America. I enjoyed following their truck builds and their travels across Canada and the US but I lost interest when they went further south.

Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      I gotta admit, I'm intrigued by the concept.

I can't help but picture the two, desperate for "content" getting monumental fights when their 'likes' decrease. I also wonder how much longer until the masses turn on them for becoming sell-outs. Their endorsement for that TV show seems, well, forced. How much longer in their quest for sponsors and 'content' do they take a contract with Heinz ketchup or Dunkin Donuts and the whole thing falls off into the bay and they really are living in a van down by the river.
      This is where I think people like the Expedition Overland crew have a better concept. They did trips on their own and then picked up some big name sponsor's to fund the bigger trips they are taking now.

We rented a Westy Weekender two years ago in Missoula, MT and travelled all over Glacier National Park and the surrounding area for a week. It really was the perfect vehicle for that sort of trip. Not fast by any means but big enough for the two of us, our gear, and a lot of fun. If the prices on Westy campers were not so damned stupid, I would have one in the driveway already.

As for these trustafarian millenials, they are exactly that. She is kinda cute in a granola kind of way. I'll give them that.

Edit: For any of you interested, we rented from Scott @ Dragonfly Vans. www.dragonflyvans.com

Have to respect the guy who's daily driver is an S4 5cyl powered Syncro Vanagon.
      Last edited by DeeJoker; 04-21-2017 at 11:35 AM.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      I'm also willing to bet that a lot of those beautiful waking up next to beautiful landscapes are staged because you can't just pull over and camp wherever you want. They probably pull over, open the appropriate door that shows the view, throw on a blanket and take a photo.

Things we don't get to see:

Them sitting around in a Walmart parking lot waiting for them to open so she can take a ****.
      Climbing mountains in second or third gear in the truck lane.
      Adding coolant
      Them sitting around in a Walmart parking lot waiting for the right sun so they can drive to the spot and hope to capture the romantic image of their "camp stite"
      How trashed the inside of the van between the fancy photos.
      Troubleshooting why the ***ing stove won't light.
      Camping in service station parking lots waiting for a parts to be delivered.
      Adding coolant
      The arguing during that five day rain storm over who's turn it is to walk the dog.
      As a former Vanagon owner I can whole heartedly agree (1991 Vanagon GL purchased NEW form Jim Ellis VW in Atlanta, GA...2 engine replacements, 300,000 miles, sold in 2007 to a couple of hippies in Boulder, CO who were going to follow Phish Concerts around the country or something).

I only have to add getting blown around the road at highway speeds by crosswinds and passing semi's.

Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      How much longer before hippies get their hands on Mitsubishi Delicas or Toyota LiteAce 4WD vans and ruin it like the Vanagon?
      If they finance them it might be sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      I only have to add getting blown around the road at highway speeds by crosswinds and passing semi's.
      Bah. You had rack & pinion steering and strut suspension. Try that in a swing axle Bus with reduction boxes and worn steering gear. You are busy during crosswinds!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Bah. You had rack & pinion steering and strut suspension. Try that in a swing axle Bus with reduction boxes and worn steering gear. You are busy during crosswinds!
      Shall we get off your lawn?
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

Haha! I bet!

Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post
      Shall we get off your lawn?
      ugh. I can't even talk about my lawn.

I'll be out there Sunday (it's raining again tomorrow) to mow it and put down weed killer. Even on our worst years it's never been anything like it is right now. It's been too rainy to mow it and the dandelions are so thick as to make me look like "that guy" in the trailer park.

Hmmmm. I suppose I can talk about my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      Haha! I bet!
      You know it!

ugh. I can't even talk about my lawn.

I'll be out there Sunday (it's raining again tomorrow) to mow it and put down weed killer. Even on our worst years it's never been anything like it is right now. It's been too rainy to mow it and the dandelions are so thick as to make me look like "that guy" in the trailer park.

Hmmmm. I suppose I can talk about my lawn.
      Wait, you live in a trailer park?

From my time traveling in an RV in the 80s...
      Whenever there was a fire at a campground, it was always a VW van.
      Why?
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

Maybe I'll do a few more, see what I can come up with.
      I forgot the Kirkland
      https://www.instagram.com/p/BTJ6vkiB-gY/

You're a goddamned poet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast