Today's gunman with an AK rampage brought to you by Paris
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 37
    1. #1
      Member Kar98's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2002
      Location
      Not Fancy DFW
      Posts
      9,780

      Today's gunman with an AK rampage brought to you by Paris

      'At least two' Kalashnikov-wielding terrorists kill one police officer and wound another in attack on Paris's Champs Elysees
      A policeman was killed this evening following a shooting in the French

      Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

    2. #2
      Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      VA
      Posts
      31,218
      FFS


    3. #3
      Member Heffernan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2006
      Location
      Washington DC
      Posts
      4,879
      I was just walking that portion of the Champs Elysees just a few months ago. It's amazing that not more people were shot/killed with how popular that area of Paris is.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.

    4. #4
      Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      VA
      Posts
      31,218
      Election is in a few days...

    5. #5
      Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      28,779
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      I was just walking that portion of the Champs Elysees just a few months ago. It's amazing that not more people were shot/killed with how popular that area of Paris is.
      Well things are a-changin`. They are building a huge wall around the Eiffel Tower now, which is something I literally thought was an April Fools joke until I looked it up myself. But good news! They're going to replace the metal one with a glass wall instead... some day.

    6. #6
      Member Heffernan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2006
      Location
      Washington DC
      Posts
      4,879
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Well things are a-changin`. They are building a huge wall around the Eiffel Tower now, which is something I literally thought was an April Fools joke until I looked it up myself. But good news! They're going to replace the metal one with a glass wall instead... some day.
      I know. I was there. Took us literally 45 mins and 2 security checkpoints (including metal detectors and those hand-held body scanner-things) to access the area around and under the Tower.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.

    7. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 31st, 2017
      Location
      Ct soon to be ma
      Posts
      36
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Election is in a few days...
      Conspiracy?

    8. #8
      Chili Bigot Seabird's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2002
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      18,139
      Glad I got my kids there to see it when we did. There were French soldiers walking around the base of the tower. I noticed two things about them... They were very young, and none of them had magazines in their weapons.
      Quote Originally Posted by John Steinbeck
      Sectional football games have the glory and the despair of war, and when a Texas team takes the field against a foreign state, it is an army with banners.

    9. #9
      Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      28,779
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      I know. I was there. Took us literally 45 mins and 2 security checkpoints (including metal detectors and those hand-held body scanner-things) to access the area around and under the Tower.
      Yeah I'm glad I went in 2013 before things started getting out of hand, although I'll add that I wish I was in a position to take 2 weeks off work last summer. The day after the Nice, France truck attack, airfare crashed to half of the normal pricing level and the cost of hotels and the like were at least 20-30% off. I was finding nice hotels all across Germany (already been to France) for under 100 Euros a night, some even more like 70. Sadly it will be at least another year before I'm in a position to do international travel again. I don't scare easily though, so as cold as it may sound, if there's another terror attack next spring or early summer, I will be scouring for last minute travel deals as soon as the news hits. Europe is beautiful and I would very much like to visit again soon, regardless of any refugee crisis or Brexit or whatever the crisis of the day is.

    10. #10
      Member BetterByDesign's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2004
      Location
      morgan hill, ca
      Posts
      9,566
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      I was just walking that portion of the Champs Elysees just a few months ago. It's amazing that not more people were shot/killed with how popular that area of Paris is.

      Agreed, but at the same time Paris generally has been on guard for some time now.

      Aloha Snackbar is why we can no longer have nice things.
      ______________________________________________

    11. #11
      Member vwbrvr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2002
      Location
      Boca Raton, FL
      Posts
      3,954
      It go down in the DM

    12. #12
      Member NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2013
      Location
      Below the glide path to KAUS
      Posts
      7,707
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      Aloha Snackbar is why we can no longer have nice things.
      At this point, after looking back through history, I would just blame man and the creation of religion.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

    13. #13
      Member NWarty's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2011
      Location
      "It's the Water!"
      Posts
      1,491
      InB4 Dupl8 comes in to stir the s-pot

    14. #14
      Member Kar98's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2002
      Location
      Not Fancy DFW
      Posts
      9,780
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      At this point, after looking back through history, I would just blame man and the creation of religion.
      Well... /some/ religions. Most other religions either got over it eventually, or were never about that in first place.

      Quote Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
      InB4 Dupl8 comes in to stir the s-pot
      I think you have to say it three times?

      Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

    15. #15
      Member NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2013
      Location
      Below the glide path to KAUS
      Posts
      7,707
      Quote Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
      Well... /some/ religions. Most other religions either got over it eventually, or were never about that in first place.
      I have yet to find one that is not about control over its followers.
      They can all be used in the same way with the right people in power.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

    16. #16
      Member NWarty's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2011
      Location
      "It's the Water!"
      Posts
      1,491
      Quote Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
      I think you have to say it three times?

      I'll do it just to watch this thread burn

      DUPL8
      DUPL8
      DUPL8

    17. #17
      Member Heffernan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2006
      Location
      Washington DC
      Posts
      4,879
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      Agreed, but at the same time Paris generally has been on guard for some time now.
      We had flown to Paris from Dublin and were there from 9/7 - 9/11. There was a noticeable pressence of military and police walking the streets with automatic weapons, usually in groups of 4. If I remember correctly there were 2 incidents while we were there. The first was a lady trying to set off a car bomb near the Notre Dame cathedral (link to story) and the other one happened while we were at the airport heading back to the states. Someone tried to rush through security and it caused the whole main terrminal to placed on lock-down for a while. Luckily we had made it through about 30-40mins earlier and our flight left without inncident. It was a little nerve-racking to flight out of Paris on the 11th, I have to admit.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.

    18. #18
      Member GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      No one cares how you feel.
      Posts
      8,793
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      We had flown to Paris from Dublin and were there from 9/7 - 9/11. There was a noticeable pressence of military and police walking the streets with automatic weapons, usually in groups of 4. If I remember correctly there were 2 incidents while we were there. The first was a lady trying to set off a car bomb near the Notre Dame cathedral (link to story) and the other one happened while we were at the airport heading back to the states. Someone tried to rush through security and it caused the whole main terrminal to placed on lock-down for a while. Luckily we had made it through about 30-40mins earlier and our flight left without inncident. It was a little nerve-racking to flight out of Paris on the 11th, I have to admit.
      My wife and her friend went to Belgium on her trip to Europe last year (about this time, actually). Less than a month after the Brussels bombings. They went to all the touristy places in the mid-Europe area.

      Only at train stations and airports did they see any heightened security. A couple tooled-up military personnel walking through the stations.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Or some other government-sponsored illegal wiretapping app
      I find your answer vague and unconvincing.
      @mbull | instagram

    19. #19
      Member Heffernan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2006
      Location
      Washington DC
      Posts
      4,879
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      My wife and her friend went to Belgium on her trip to Europe last year (about this time, actually). Less than a month after the Brussels bombings. They went to all the touristy places in the mid-Europe area.

      Only at train stations and airports did they see any heightened security. A couple tooled-up military personnel walking through the stations.
      I remember waiting for our train back to Paris from a day trip to Dijon and wine country. In the station, they have very large notifications to passengers on what to do if someone enters the station and begins shooting (I tried to search Google for a picture of these posters but couldn't find one). Much like we have what to do if there is a fire, only they have them for terrorist attacks. It can be unsettling thinking about it standing there waiting for your train.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.

    20. #20
      Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Jerzey
      Posts
      19,118
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      We had flown to Paris from Dublin and were there from 9/7 - 9/11. There was a noticeable pressence of military and police walking the streets with automatic weapons, usually in groups of 4. If I remember correctly there were 2 incidents while we were there. The first was a lady trying to set off a car bomb near the Notre Dame cathedral (link to story) and the other one happened while we were at the airport heading back to the states. Someone tried to rush through security and it caused the whole main terrminal to placed on lock-down for a while. Luckily we had made it through about 30-40mins earlier and our flight left without inncident. It was a little nerve-racking to flight out of Paris on the 11th, I have to admit.
      I barely notice armed authorities anyone. Life goes on.

      Some folks are paranoid and get easily spooked these days. About a week back police used a taser to subdue a crazy person and it led to a cascading pandemonium as commuters spread rumors of shots fired.

      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

    21. #21
      Member BetterByDesign's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2004
      Location
      morgan hill, ca
      Posts
      9,566
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      At this point, after looking back through history, I would just blame man and the creation of religion.
      You mean the creation of man.
      ______________________________________________

    22. #22
      Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Jerzey
      Posts
      19,118
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      You mean the creation of man.
      Man was fine until that stupid woman got tricked by a snake.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

    23. #23
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2000
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      26,838
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Man was fine until that stupid woman got tricked by a snake.

    24. #24
      Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      40,346
      Ban guns!

      Oh wait...

      ISIS said there would be an attack before the election. There might be more.

    25. #25
      Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      28,779
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      I have yet to find one that is not about control over its followers.
      They can all be used in the same way with the right people in power.
      Then you're looking at religion rather than faith. For example, "Christianity" has been used in olden times as a way to prop up governments. Constantine used it to try to hold the Roman Empire together, France and England both used it to say that the power of the Crown comes from God (and is thus unassailable) and Spain was famous for using it for fun and profit.

      At its core however following the teachings of Christ requires no religion and in many respects requires no church of any kind. In fact that's part of why home churches are popular. People get sick of all the politics and garbage that comes with big religions and megachurches and say "You know what? The 8 of us can read our bibles and worship together and that's cool." As with anything, there will be good and bad. After all, some of the most famous killers and dictators in history have been atheists. Does that mean atheism leads to murder? No, of course not. There's bad apples in every bunch.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast