explain this GLI. it doesnt make sense to me
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

explain this GLI. it doesnt make sense to me

i have a GLS with the 5 sp manual and i wanted to do a 6 sp and came across this. guy said theres an engine problem and just needed it gone. he said it was a GLI. from the pictures in his ad it diddnt have front or rear lip and did not have side skirts. there was a crappy pics of the seats but they kind of looked like GLI seats. it also didnt have the stainless interior trim so i figured maybe someone did a trans and seat swap from a real GLI. i didnt care cause all i wanted was the trans. i also noticed it had the 3 spoke steering wheel. figured someone swapped that too. well when i get there and checked the VIN it is an actual GLI but nothing aside from the trans and steering wheel was GLI. ive never seen the seats before. maybe they were re-covered but not sure. i dont know what the deal is with the back seats. so is it possible to have a GLI without any of the interior, seats, trim, lips, skirts, theres a plain gauge cluster too, grey headliner also? really strange to me.

those are 03 Wolfsburg seats definitely not recaros

in fact looks to be an 03 Wolfsburg, unless someone really swapped all the gli stuff OUT of that car for cash maybe?
      "not even a slick spot for me to have fun in!"

It's definitely not the 1.8t gli we all know and love, is it a 6 speed 24v vr6? If so, it is technically a GLI but it has none of the real gli cool stuff and all stock ugly Jetta interior and trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by m_haiser View Post
      those are 03 Wolfsburg seats definitely not recaros

in fact looks to be an 03 Wolfsburg, unless someone really swapped all the gli stuff OUT of that car for cash maybe?
      thats the only thing i could come up with. i used two different vin breakdown guides and both say GLI. maybe someone was hard up for cash or something but thats a lot of work

Quote Originally Posted by mynamenic View Post
      It's definitely not the 1.8t gli we all know and love, is it a 6 speed 24v vr6? If so, it is technically a GLI but it has none of the real gli cool stuff and all stock ugly Jetta interior and trim.

I'll go with this one. VR6?
      Quote Originally Posted by Anony00GT View Post
      Who's the idiot that deleted the EVAP solenoid?
      Quote Originally Posted by Karmanniac View Post
      ...There two types of Americans: those who lived through the Carter years and those who are about to.

Guaranteed to be an early GLI VR6

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

It's a vr6 gli which came standard with the square bolstered sport seats.

It doesn't have the tacked on cosmetic stuff of the 1.8 Gil's but it has the better engine.
      Stretch looks like an elephant crapping an oil drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadrifoglio View Post
      It's a vr6 gli which came standard with the square bolstered sport seats.

It doesn't have the tacked on cosmetic stuff of the 1.8 Gil's but it has the better engine.
      Oh here we go again..... The 1.8 nevar loses!
      ...There two types of Americans: those who lived through the Carter years and those who are about to.

Except that it had less power out of the box, a timing belt and a turbo which is failure prone and heinously expensive to replace.

You can't compare the two. VW stopped using the vr6 for the last year of mkiv production because the 1.8t was cheaper.

Don't get sucked into the "yeah man but if I chip it and throw a few grand into it with a new turbo and and and... the 1.8t is more powerful". That's the lamest argument. Which one is better out of the box? Which one is better with 200k miles on it. Those aren't questions. The vr6 is. You can spend bucketloads of cash on both engines and the vr will always be better.

Another vote for an early VR6 GLI. Which if that's the case and you have a 1.8T, the trans won't work for you.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '16 GLI SE

Not arguing the 1.8t vs vr6, but let's be real which Gil would you reeeelly have trim wise?

That's a 2003 GLI. The GLIs had the VR6 from 2002 to early 2004, after that, they switched to the 1.8t and added all that fancy stuff you don't see in this one. It's a 2003 because it it's platinum grey (which rules out being a 2002) and it doesn't have the chrome trim (this rules out being a 2004).
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      The only bags that I worry about handling are attached to Kate Upton's chest.

How the **** do you manage do **** up a car that bad
      bagged stage 2 gli on brotiforms

Instagram: rand0mher0
      rand0m's platinum gray gli build thread

Not arguing the 1.8t vs vr6, but let's be real which Gil would you reeeelly have trim wise?

You shop in the pep boys fart can aisle dontchya? 😂

You shop in the pep boys fart can aisle dontchya?
      Nah I just prefer recaros

You shop in the pep boys fart can aisle dontchya?
      What's this a stab at? For wanting a better looking car?

Nah I just prefer recaros

The seats are nice and 'out of the box' the car is nicer than the vr6 GLI. Wheels, moar low, body trim, and the seats. I've had mine since 2005 and the only thing left is the seats. The motor has been rebuilt due to timing belt dying on me and I went ahead and reworked the entire suspension while I was at it. Sold the RCs to fund the project and went ahead with an f23.

I like it...love it. There are many like it but this one is mine. If.....and when, this 1.8t evar dies again a vr6 will be swapped over.

Early gli..remember Charles Devines car guys/girls?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
      #294 VRalliance gimme that. sorry for yelling, but Im serious. we gotta start bein more responsible and focused alright? to be sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by 4motionvr6dub View Post
      That's a 2003 GLI. The GLIs had the VR6 from 2002 to early 2004, after that, they switched to the 1.8t and added all that fancy stuff you don't see in this one. It's a 2003 because it it's platinum grey (which rules out being a 2002) and it doesn't have the chrome trim (this rules out being a 2004).
      He said

Considering how neglected and effed up that interior and engine is, I would be careful with the tranny and components.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk
      H&R - Euro Sport Acc. - Bailey Motorsport - VF Engineering - Turbo Smart - ECS Tuning - K&N - Redline Oil - Auto Meter - EuroJet - Craftsman - ITG Filter - Mahle - Gates - VP Racing Fuel - Meguiar's - Beru - Summit Racing

Cheers!

ok so i guess it is a gli lol. i got it started and drove it around and the trans seemed to shift perfect. so yea after i tore it all apart and pulled my trans only then did i find out the trans wouldnt fit! yea after all my searching i never read anything about the trans being different between the 4cyl and 6cyl. yea live and learn i guess. so i have a 02m for a vr6 if anyone wants to buy it haha. man that really sucked. that was a lot of work oh well. so whatever happened with the back seats the front seats are in near perfect condition. it almost looks like someone spilled something on them and it ate the seats and plastic parts. very strange.

i have no idea! some people really dont care about taking care of their stuff.

yes its a vr6

Quote Originally Posted by dem3500 View Post
      ok so i guess it is a gli lol. i got it started and drove it around and the trans seemed to shift perfect. so yea after i tore it all apart and pulled my trans only then did i find out the trans wouldnt fit! yea after all my searching i never read anything about the trans being different between the 4cyl and 6cyl. yea live and learn i guess. so i have a 02m for a vr6 if anyone wants to buy it haha. man that really sucked. that was a lot of work oh well. so whatever happened with the back seats the front seats are in near perfect condition. it almost looks like someone spilled something on them and it ate the seats and plastic parts. very strange.
      Sorry for your misfortune but it is posted EVERYWHERE that the o2m has two variants, one with a 4 cylinder and one with a 6 cylinder bell housing. People on this thread should have picked up on that and informed you, sorry i've been MIA on here for like a year or I would have mentioned it.
      Follow me on IG @Mech_Engg

A-very-technical-build | Part I | PART-II | PART-III
      OpenRoadTuning | Accuair

Also, unless you're seriously tracking the car, a 6spd swap vs the 5spd is absolutely not worth it. You're getting tighter gear ratios, which is great for the track, but annoying on the street

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      Another vote for an early VR6 GLI. Which if that's the case and you have a 1.8T, the trans won't work for you.
      Quote Originally Posted by MechEngg View Post
      Sorry for your misfortune but it is posted EVERYWHERE that the o2m has two variants, one with a 4 cylinder and one with a 6 cylinder bell housing. People on this thread should have picked up on that and informed you, sorry i've been MIA on here for like a year or I would have mentioned it.
      I caught it
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '16 GLI SE

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      I caught it
      Oh man i missed that as i scanned the posts, my bad.

Yes you 100% caught it, and warned the OP about it.

His bad for not reading posts properly.
      Follow me on IG @Mech_Engg

A-very-technical-build | Part I | PART-II | PART-III
      OpenRoadTuning | Accuair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast