Tell me about Costco
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Tell me about Costco

My new commute will take me past a Costco with gas and liquor store included.

I don't know anything about Costco. I'm single and don't cook for groups. I don't have any unique diet needs. I've heard Kirkland alcohol is cheap.

Can it replace going to the grocery store or is it a department store with some bulk sized food?

Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 04-24-2017 at 12:33 PM.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Tell me about Costco

It can't replace the grocery store. For the booze alone, the $55/year is worth it.

They also have a high quality meat and produce section.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties
      Quote Originally Posted by PizzaCat! View Post
      It can't replace the grocery store. For the booze alone, the $55/year is worth it.

They also have a high quality meat and produce section.

Some also have gas stations, top tier fuel at bargain basement prices.

A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Did you **** him?

I love The Backstreet Boys. Holla! leitloaf's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post

I don't know anything about Costco. I'm single and don't cook for groups. I don't have any unique diet needs. I've heard Kirkland alcohol is cheap.

Any other non-families in OT a Costco member and can it replace going to the grocery store?

I am currently living by myself, as I did for a few years, and I mainly buy booze, TP, paper towels, and some food items. I bought my 65" TV there for a really great price. I just love it and while I don't have the same needs as I did with the family living with me, the membership is still worth it.

It won't replace the grocery store completely but they have lots of quality meats at good prices, some prepared foods, lots of frozen stuff. I use the pharmacy sometimes as well. For $50 a year it's not a bad investment. Let's not forget their travel and auto purchasing services as well as Costco Gas.

Unless you use an exorbitant amount of something, I would say not really worth the membership fee if you're single.

If you see a deal on something and have a friend with a membership tag along and use their membership.

Edit: Some posts are making sense. Go for it OP.
      Last edited by palakaman; 04-24-2017 at 12:43 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

Using their propane tank fill up twice a year instead of swapping pays for the membership if you grill with propane. We were paying $20 to swap tanks several times a year. Went down to like $7 for a refill of MORE than the swap tanks were filled to. So $13 saved by like 3x a year gets close.

Then the savings on a few tanks of gasoline and booze you're making out at that point.

I will say, you need to live close enough to one to make it worth it versus blowing gas money to go do it.

It's just the wife, kiddo, and I and we use our membership to buy things like TP, paper towels, booze, gas, and some meats. We've also used it for tires and their car buying program, which by itself makes the membership worth it.

Everything else we have ever bought there food wise ends up going bad before we even get close to finishing it. I did buy my last TV there, but Amazon tends to have better deals 90% of the time.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

I tend to get the free 90 day trial memberships at BJ's Wholesale. They typically have the cheapest gasoline in town where I live. Inside the big box store, I don't buy much since I have nowhere to store economy size bulk purchases. Paper towels, toilet paper, and meats like 3-packs of baby back ribs or St Louis ribs are the main things I buy there. BJ's has two tiers of membership if you pay. For $50, you get a regular membership and can add somebody else to the account. For $100, you get some kind of cash-back membership where you get an extra 10 cents per gallon off at the pump. For somebody who commutes a fairly substantial distance, there's probably pretty good payback on the 10 cent discount off what is already usually the cheapest gas in town. At the moment, they also have a deal where you get an additional 5 cents off at the pump if you buy something in the store first.

In the bake-offs between Costco, Sam's Club, and BJ's Wholesale, it's usually a toss-up for which one is cheapest. It really depends on what you're buying. I happen to have BJ's in my travel pattern.

The goddamned people waiting for samples...hovering over pigs in a blanket, clogging up the isles like a bunch of friggin' drooling vultures

As posted, really good if you can take advantage of things.

We joined BJ's for a while, but dropped it. First, it is a bit out-of-the-way. Second, I really don't need to buy 72 rolls of toilet paper at one time. If I do, I probably should go see a doctor.

Thanks for replies.

I checked gasbuddy website and Costco gas is a couple cents more expensive than local stations.

Any more specifics on beer/wine/hard stuff?

I'm stopping there after work to fill the tank and maybe run in and grab a hot dog combo for $1.50 (Hot Dog & Drink).
      They are a top tier gas station and the premium is priced lower than other stations around.
      The money saved on gas pays for my membership.

Costco does not mess around. They always have quality products, foods, and produce. They have a very high standards for the items they sell. If the consumer is not happy with a product, it gets taken off the shelves and not get sold anymore. You'll never find junk there
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

I've had a Costco membership since 1990 when it was still the Price Club. They eventually became PriceCostco then Costco Wholesale then just Costco. Place is awesome. It's my primary shopping spot with the exception of small grocery items and smaller produce purchases. I try to stop there for my gas as much as I can. I still buy my booze at the Safeway though. Believe it or not it's cheaper there.

They always try to have some new products rotating through ranging from backyard furniture to sporting equipment, car related stuff, appliances, even services like roofing and heating A/C. Sometimes I'll just stop by and see what new products they have on the shelves. We've purchased appliances, outdoor patio set, our BBQ station, gardening equipment, kitchen wares, tires, car batteries, our 60" flat screen along with other electronics. You name it, they probably have it and if it's not in store it's available online. Their return policy is pretty much "no questions asked" too.

I love their sales model and their employee policy too. They insist on the high quality of the products they sell. Even their generic Kirkland brand is better than a lot of other top selling brands. They don't advertise at all and they are able to keep retail costs down for the customer. Their founder insisted on management receiving a "modest" salary (including himself) so that the business could pay the lower employees a higher than normal rate. They have awesome employee loyalty with very low employee turnover compared to other retail and warehouse stores because they insist on treating their employees as well as possible.

Fun fact, Costco is one of the largest pizza chains in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
      The goddamned people waiting for samples...hovering over pigs in a blanket, clogging up the isles like a bunch of friggin' drooling vultures
      QFT! I don't ever recommend going to Costco after church lets out on Sunday at least not where I live LOL. I strategically time my visits during the middle of the week. Shows the popularity though. Have good products at decent prices and people will become regular customers.
      Last edited by veedubman72; 04-24-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GruuvenNorth View Post
      Costco does not mess around. They always have quality products, foods, and produce. They have a very high standards for the items they sell. If the consumer is not happy with a product, it gets taken off the shelves and not get sold anymore. You'll never find junk there
      Bought a set of solar-powered yard lights there a couple of years ago that turned out to be complete POS's. Never saw them there again.

Can it replace going to the grocery store or is it a department store with some bulk sized food?
      Unrelated, but I read an article today that talked about how Costco has been Amazon-proof despite just about every other retailer suffering. The article went on to mention that Amazon may be interested in buying BJs as a way of having storefronts and to compete with Costco. Something like half of Costco members are Prime members, so including the BJs membership as a Prime benefit would allow them to gain from Costco's typically customer base. It would allow Amazon to move into selling more food, and would open up a new product category for them...gasoline.

The gist of the article was that even Costco isn't immune to Amazon and should be worried about this type of move.

I'm kind of a Costco proselytizer and will buy things there over just about any other store if they sell it. I have the Costco Citi card and you get 2% back, with 2% more if you get the Executive Membership. If, at the end of the year, you don't make enough to cover the difference between the regular and executive memberships, they will refund the difference. We usually get about $100 back which ends up paying for the membership.

This may or may not matter to you, but one of the main reasons I like giving them my money over just about any other store is the employees. They are happy, helpful and efficient because they are taken care of, get paid well and have great benefits. Most of the people in the warehouses around here have been working there since the '90s (says on their name tags).

I love the tire center -- they only have decent stuff, torque to spec and have Interstate batteries for about 1/2 off ($69 for my car).

I buy all of my boring work clothes there (shirts and khakis for $17) and other favorites are the Kirkland undershirts, socks and boxer briefs; mega packs of LED light bulbs, frozen food, cases of local beer, toilet paper, dishwasher tablets (120 are like $10), giant jugs of laundry soap for $11, 200-pack of corn tortillas for $2.39, towels, etc etc. Everything in their Kirkland private label is a notch nicer than Sam's, with premium ingredients or organic or something to set it apart. My wife gets big things of soy milk and we get a lot of canned stuff like diced tomatoes and the spices, snacks, etc.

They have great prices on mattresses - we bought a queen memory foam for $599 that fit in the hatchback (comes rolled up in a box) and doesn't feel any different than my sister's mid four-digit TempurPedic.

In some states they are not allowed to sell the Kirkland liquor and beer, but in the ones that can, it is a super deal. They have the 1.75L French vodka for $20 and pretty good gin and other stuff.
      Last edited by adrew; 04-24-2017 at 01:33 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

As a prime member as well, I welcome the Amazon overlords to buy BJs.

Guy that said Costco booze wasn't the cheapest, specifically what are you talking about? Individual bottles of wine? Liquor?

Not combative - just curious. I don't buy nearly as much liquor there as I should, but cases of beer and bottles of wine are always at least 10-15% cheaper or more in my experience. Plus, they also are now carrying a lot of higher-end bottles of beer that I'd only be able to get at my local total wine and more, otherwise.

Gas is always cheaper, but you have to watch out for the lines. I typically will only go there at 6am or just before closing because it's otherwise not worth it.

All in all, 55 bucks a year is a small price to pay for the convenience of Costco.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

This is all you need to know.

^Hes right you know.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

I love The Backstreet Boys. Holla! leitloaf's Avatar
      I've found all forms of booze at Costco to cheaper, often more so than Total Wine.

deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      This is all you need to know.
      How long would that keep, in a zombieland-prepper-pocolypse-type scenario?

Could be a liquid gold-mine there.
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Did you **** him?

Thank you @McMike, those help.

I'm guessing that light beer is better than Keystone light?

Thank you @McMike, those help.

I'm guessing that light beer is better than Keystone light?
      Better than Coors light. Not as good as Miller Lite.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast