Tell me about Costco - Page 8
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by GruuvenNorth View Post
      Depends...There's gouging, then there's making enough to pay the bills.

Owning a business is not easy. Depending on where you are, taxes, rent, power, heat, etc are higher because you are a business. Not to mention employees.

But then of course there is fair market price. if you're selling batteries for 8 bucks for 2 when everywhere else they're 4 bucks and at Costco they're 2 bucks, then yes - you are taking full advantage of it.

Then there's location. If you're the only store in a 20 mile radius, then chances are you'll be kind of a dink and charging twice as much for things because you're the only guy in the town that has the stuff.
      I should ask my cousin what the % is between Costco-specific products and manufacturer-specific. Not all products at Costco are found in regular stores, so you can't really compare apples to apples. They sell the same items, but just in different quantities. Buy in bulk; just like Walmart.

Costco doesn't really destroy local businesses. Because membership, bulk items, limited choices, etc. Stores like Fred Meyer and Walmart do, however. Anyone ever have, or do have Coast to Coast Hardware store? Our local one was awesome. Pretty much had everything you could find, and pricing wasn't outrageous. 7 miles away was another awesome hardware store. Fred Meyer came in town, and rumors of Walmart (only about 15 years late), so Coast to Coast finished out the year and closed. They didn't even try to fight against the big box stores. It was a bummer. The town now has FM, Walmart, Lowes, and Tractor Supply Co.

We have 2 Costcos about 15-20 miles away, one has been in existence since 1984, the other since 2005.

And no f**king Arby's.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

//// @mbull //// instagram ////

It funny because sometimes I'll go to a corner store and see they sell the Kirkland brand stuff and I'm thinking BIIIITCH...that's $6.99 at Costco and you up the price to 19.99 Get the fk atta here.
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

It funny because sometimes I'll go to a corner store and see they sell the Kirkland brand stuff and I'm thinking BIIIITCH...that's $6.99 at Costco and you up the price to 19.99 Get the fk atta here.
      Yeah... All these stupid Canadians come down and...

uh... nevermind.

But in the Costcos across the border from Canada, lots of people come down and buy tons of milk. There were Costcos running out of milk, it was that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      They didn't even try to fight against the big box stores. It was a bummer.
      It's a shame. As for the hardware places... the local places typically have a more knowledgeable staff that can help. Your average HD employee cant even remember which stolen identity he filled out his application with. Today, my name is.... Joe.
      In some instances I'm willing to pay more for the better service, but the last time I was near the local place with the trailer, they had 2 cu-ft bags of mulch for $6. It's $3 at HD.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon - YouTube Track Videos - flickr
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Ordered a set of tires and waiting for them to arrive at the costco tire center. I've heard horror stories that the tire centers are run pretty crappily, with 4 hour waits even with an appointment. Not looking forward to that. Saving around $180 total on these Pilot Super Sports compared to the lowest retailer price I could find, sears.
      It go down in the DM

Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      Ordered a set of tires and waiting for them to arrive at the costco tire center. I've heard horror stories that the tire centers are run pretty crappily, with 4 hour waits even with an appointment. Not looking forward to that. Saving around $180 total on these Pilot Super Sports compared to the lowest retailer price I could find, sears.
      They are run really well in my experience, just super busy. You can't plan your day around it - usually works best if you can drop the car off and go get some lunch, go to the park, then come back and go up and down all the aisles, etc. I sometimes just grab a book from the book section and sit on one of the couches if they are taking too long.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      Some tire shops will let you order tires online, have them shipped to their store and mount/balance them for a fixed rate. Tire Rack has a list on installers on their website.

Depends...There's gouging, then there's making enough to pay the bills.

Owning a business is not easy. Depending on where you are, taxes, rent, power, heat, etc are higher because you are a business. Not to mention employees.

But then of course there is fair market price. if you're selling batteries for 8 bucks for 2 when everywhere else they're 4 bucks and at Costco they're 2 bucks, then yes - you are taking full advantage of it.

Then there's location. If you're the only store in a 20 mile radius, then chances are you'll be kind of a dink and charging twice as much for things because you're the only guy in the town that has the stuff.
      I understand, but who goes on the internet and boasts about that? It's a dick move, hence my comment. I love the little guys, and prefer them as opposed to HD or Menards and support them whenever I can. I live in the middle of the city and would rather hop on the bike and roll over to be local safe or what have you, instead of driving all the way out to the suburbs.
      initiative comes to thems that wait

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Probably the best tire buying experience I've ever had. Found, ordered, and paid for the tires online. Free shipping to the tire center. Made appointment for the install, showed up at that time, went shopping, walked out, car is finished waiting for me.....prime parking spot. Micheline offering $70.00 mail in rebate.....Costco gives it as instant rebate. Winning.
      It go down in the DM

Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      I love that Costco is inexpensive but doesn't sell crap. It's like an anti-Target.

Bought this Yamaha AV receiver a couple weeks ago:

It has a unique model number, but it's not difficult to determine the model is identical to their RX-V781. MSRP is $849 but Costco has it for $489. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      I love that Costco is inexpensive but doesn't sell crap. It's like an anti-Target.

It has a unique model number, but it's not difficult to determine the model is identical to their RX-V781. MSRP is $849 but Costco has it for $489. Fantastic.
      A lot of the times the models that Costco/Sam's/etc sell are a *tiny* bit cheaper made. like TVs with one fewer HDMI inputs or something like that. But the discount is more than worth it.

I was just in Costco yesterday and I was talking to the lady that checks your card upon entering. She said she was getting time-and-a-half. Awesome. But apparently it wasn't just because it was Mother's Day, but because it was Sunday. Employees get time-and-a-half every Sunday.

Costco really does take care of their employees well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      A lot of the times the models that Costco/Sam's/etc sell are a *tiny* bit cheaper made. like TVs with one fewer HDMI inputs or something like that. But the discount is more than worth it.
      And other times they are better. We bought a Brother laser printer (MFC-8690DW) there about six years ago. The 8690 was the Costco version; the same thing sold everywhere else was the 8890. The difference was that the 8690 came with a high-yield toner cartridge (8000 pages) in the box while the 8890 came with 3000-page cartridge. It didn't need toner until about year four!

It is still working fine and going off to college with our boy in a few weeks.

I was just in Costco yesterday and I was talking to the lady that checks your card upon entering. She said she was getting time-and-a-half. Awesome. But apparently it wasn't just because it was Mother's Day, but because it was Sunday. Employees get time-and-a-half every Sunday.

Costco really does take care of their employees well.
      Most do. I used to work for a company that paid OT on anything over 7.5hrs/day and I think if you worked Sat or Sun. And you couldn't work more than 12/hrs a day, and no more than 12 days in a row. Downside was there were periods where there was only enough work for a small crew, or a week with no work.

Free installation on Michelins is back for Exec

Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post

And no f**king Arby's.
      Shoreline, Bothell, Marysville....Oh wait, those are all north of Seattle.
      »

@bigglzworth

Finally signed up. The Exec level supposedly pays for itself. The basic level is $55, and with the fuel discounts, a $20 gift card because my employer is a "corporate partner," and the $10+ I just saved on a huge box of diapers, I figure that is covered.

It's certainly not a place for everyday shopping, but if you need things in bulk and are careful, it can be great. Some things are about the same price as anywhere else- the big crates of canned pop price out the same as local stores for me- but some are very cheap.
      Not red, not blue- red, white, and blue

The Samsung 4K TV we got at BJs is the same model Best Buys carries. Actually, it was cheaper at BB than BJs.

Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Executive checks are 2%. AT $55 delta that's only $2,750 a year. I probably spend $8-10k a year.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by reddfoxx View Post
      Finally signed up. The Exec level supposedly pays for itself. The basic level is $55, and with the fuel discounts, a $20 gift card because my employer is a "corporate partner," and the $10+ I just saved on a huge box of diapers, I figure that is covered.

It's certainly not a place for everyday shopping, but if you need things in bulk and are careful, it can be great. Some things are about the same price as anywhere else- the big crates of canned pop price out the same as local stores for me- but some are very cheap.
      We got the executive level and structured our shopping and food storage in such a way that the savings vs. the grocery store paid for the initial membership in 2 months. We (2 adults, 1 child) do standard fare shopping and the 2% back covered the membership renewal and then some. If you're buying diapers or pull ups it's gold.

Quote Originally Posted by bigglzworth View Post
      Shoreline, Bothell, Marysville....Oh wait, those are all north of Seattle.
      I can't just drive 7 miles to Snoho for Arby's. I want to drive, like, 2. Or at least have one en route. Which the only one that fit that bill was the one in Bellevue, which was a PITA to get to.

For the second time in less than two weeks, the same Costco in Danville was targeted Friday by masked robbers who swarmed the store in a midday holdup in which shots were fired inside and outside the business, which was full of shoppers at the time.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by WhineMCABasket2.0t View Post
      For the second time in less than two weeks, the same Costco in Danville was targeted Friday by masked robbers who swarmed the store in a midday holdup in which shots were fired inside and outside the business, which was full of shoppers at the time.
      Sounds like a nice place to shop if you want to add a little spice to the daily grind.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Sounds like a nice place to shop if you want to add a little spice to the daily grind.
      Danville is super nice, where dave car guy hails from

Like I said, add some spice to your life. If the bullets don't kill you I hear it just burns for a bit.

I probably wouldn't go there as my life is spicy enough, but you know, there are thrill seekers everywhere.
      Instagram - efrie004

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast